Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 20th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1,669Posts
    • 2,069Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Was this an attempt to scam by seller?
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    Was this an attempt to scam by seller? 20th Mar 17 at 7:17 PM
    Just some advice please

I bought a coffee machine BIN from a seller and paid straight away through paypal funded by credit card

About an hour later I receive a message through ebay asking for payment. Looked in paypal and it was showing as pending seller accepting payment.

Get back to seller saying I've paid, you need to accept it.

Seller replies saying they have problem with paypal and ask me to send by bank transfer.

I say no way as no buyer protection but can wait a few days whilst they sort out issues with paypal.

Not long after they reply saying paypal sorted so can I log onto paypal. Do so, same pending status.

I say you need to accept the payment already sent.

Seller says canx this and send payment again

I say can you send an invoice/request for payment through ebay so I can pay linked to the purchase.

They then want to send a request for payment but through paypal which I refuse.

Seller then says they will cancel sale, which they have done and will list again.

I have now cancelled the pending payment I made originally.

It seems to me that the seller was trying to get me to pay without it being linked to an actual ebay sale either as a scam or trying to avoid fees in some way.

Is it worth reporting seller to ebay? They have two pos feedback as a seller. The transaction is no longer in My Ebay so I can't leave feedback.

I've not lost anything so happy to move on but if it is something that ebay need to know about I'm willing to report it. I've looked at the help options and all I end up with is an option to post a message of the community board.

TIA
Page 1
    • sham63
    • By sham63 20th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    sham63
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    No, just sounds like a naive seller who doesn't understand how PayPal works. I've had similar in the past.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 58,864 Posts
    • 41,696 Thanks
    soolin
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    Apart from the bank transfer bit which would have worried me, the rest makes sense. If seller had the wrong PayPal addres then your payment would show as unclaimed and there would be absolutely no way seller could resend an invoice through PayPal with new details, it would just resend the original wrong details.

The usual advice to a seller in this situation would be to send a direct PayPal invoice for the goods, which would have been OK as long as the invoice showed clearly the goods being purchased and even an eBay item number to ensure there was no doubt of what you were paying for should there be a dispute.

Obviously though as you had paid and seller had made a mistake in email address you were not under any obligation to keep trying until seller finally got it sorted.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 20th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    That's interesting thank you. I thought the request for payment would have to come through ebay. I did not know that a paypal request would be acceptable for buyer protection as long as seller entered the purchase details on it.
    • challengedavid
    • By challengedavid 22nd Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    challengedavid
    • 22nd Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    • 22nd Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    could you have asked the seller to add the unclaimed payment email address to their paypal account, have done that myself when i mispelt my email
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 22nd Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 10,584 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 22nd Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 22nd Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    could you have asked the seller to add the unclaimed payment email address to their paypal account, have done that myself when i mispelt my email
    Originally posted by challengedavid
    Only if the email is capable of being registered - by that I mean something like "ifilledthisinbymistake" couldn't be registered as an email as it is missing vital parts. So in this instance, the payment cannot be claimed by the seller.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin