Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rule
    • By rule 20th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rule
    New VED is the dealer obliged to inform?
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    New VED is the dealer obliged to inform? 20th Mar 17 at 6:24 PM
    Hi,

We are getting a new car (PCP).
    This is a factory build, we signed the finance agreement in November and we were expecting a feb max march delivery (agreed verbally but not in writing prior of placing the order).
    The VED was £30 PA, we signed expecting the delivery march maximum.

The date has changed to mid April (we were informed in December and we were also given the opportunity to cancel due to the inconvenience) .
    We decided to wait.

However we have not been informed about the new VED (after April 2017) , only recently we have found out and we have asked the dealer to confirm if the vehicle that we are getting would incur the Premium car supplement.

The dealer still didn't respond however by the looks of it, it would apply because from what I understand the dealer discount is not taken into account so even though that the total price would be around £36 + dealer discount =£42.

Obviously not happy cause we would have to pay for 5 years 450=£2250 compared to £150 for 5 years with the £30 pa charge (an excess of £2100 from what was originally expected.

Was the dealer responsible for informing us about the new tax changes when he informed me about the delivery date and does the fact that he didn't constitutes misselling or he wasn't obliged,

and can I cancel everything after so long ? I have paid a deposit of £1000, is there anything that can be agreed with the dealership In your opinion (they include the first year of road tax for free).

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by rule; 24-03-2017 at 9:20 AM.
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 14,342 Posts
    • 12,685 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    No, it is not mis-selling. You placed an order for February-March delivery. Slippage to April was far from unlikely.

The new VED scheme has been public since July 2015's budget.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33447106

You say about the "premium supplement" - this is a vehicle with a list price, including factory options, above £40,000?
    • rule
    • By rule 20th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rule
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    No, it is not mis-selling. You placed an order for February-March delivery. Slippage to April was far from unlikely.

The new VED scheme has been public since July 2015's budget.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33447106

You say about the "premium supplement" - this is a vehicle with a list price, including factory options, above £40,000?
    Originally posted by AdrianC

The OTR price is 38.800 the extras are definitely worth around 4k The discount was around , dealer discount total around 6k vehicle value that I would pay If I choose to purchase around 36k... so I think premium supplement tax could be payable..
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 14,342 Posts
    • 12,685 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    It's the list price of car plus list price of options.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    Was the dealer responsible for informing us about the new tax changes when he informed me about the delivery date and does the fact that he didn't constitutes misselling or he wasn't obliged
    Originally posted by rule
    No. Tax arrangements are your responsibility, not the dealer's. The changes weren't new when you ordered the car either, having been announced over a year before. With hindsight, you should have made the March deadline a condition of the deal at the time, or walked away if they couldn't guarantee it.

As for cancelling, you should check the terms of your contract to see if you can, and what the penalties will be. I suspect they will be prohibitive, so your best bet is to negotiate what you can from them as a gesture of gooodwill for the extra costs you will incur as a result of the delay.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 21st Mar 17, 6:18 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    marlot
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:18 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:18 AM
    As long as they know the VIN, the dealer can sometimes register a car even if it's not actually with them yet. Might be worth trying?
    • marlot
    • By marlot 21st Mar 17, 6:22 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    marlot
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:22 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:22 AM
    ......they include the first year of road tax for free)...
    Based on you expecting to pay £30 a year, the first year of road tax costs them ... zero! As long as the car is registered before the end of March.

Under the new regime, the first year road tax will now be £160.
    • rule
    • By rule 21st Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rule
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    As long as they know the VIN, the dealer can sometimes register a car even if it's not actually with them yet. Might be worth trying?
    Originally posted by marlot

I was actually going to write a comment about this.. does it need to be on UK waters to do so ?
    I am asking the question about the tax for four weeks now and still didn't get an official response.. thinking the dealer is delaying it on purpose.
    Any idea how long the registration process can take ?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 14,342 Posts
    • 12,685 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    The registration is done almost immediately by the dealer, using their direct link to DVLA's systems.

If the car is registered too early, then there's still the chance of delays and problems in the delivery chain - your insurance needs to be in place, and your warranty and VED start from the registration date.
    • rule
    • By rule 21st Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rule
    The registration is done almost immediately by the dealer, using their direct link to DVLA's systems.

If the car is registered too early, then there's still the chance of delays and problems in the delivery chain - your insurance needs to be in place, and your warranty and VED start from the registration date.

That's fine , but in other words they should be able to do it nevertheless .
    • rule
    • By rule 21st Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rule
    Dealer says that cars can't be registered before they arrive to the dealership ? They did offer me the chance to cancel (not sure if they are bluffing ) asked them to see what they can do and send me an email outlining the response and inform me about the cancellation procedure...
    Last edited by rule; 21-03-2017 at 5:14 PM.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 22nd Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    Dealer says that cars can't be registered before they arrive to the dealership ? They did offer me the chance to cancel (not sure if they are bluffing ) asked them to see what they can do and send me an email outlining the response and inform me about the cancellation procedure...
    But you have already turned down the option to cancel so I would expect it to be quite onerous.

Just grin and bare it it will be the same for all other new cars!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    • 14,342 Posts
    • 12,685 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They did offer me the chance to cancel (not sure if they are bluffing ) asked them to see what they can do and send me an email outlining the response and inform me about the cancellation procedure...
    Not sure why you think they would be "bluffing".

You ordered a factory-order car, without thinking about the potential for a mild slippage in delivery taking into the long-publicised change in VED.
    You are now complaining about that mild slippage.
    You have two choices... Accept the car, or cancel the car.

You want a third choice - register the car in advance of delivery. They are saying they cannot/will not (which it is is irrelevant) do that, so that choice does not exist.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 22nd Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 18,322 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    I ordered a car in January - I discussed build dates and potential slippage and hand wrote on the contract that the order was conditional on registration on or before 31st March.

The dealer also said that if the delay became close then they could register the car without having physically received it - so check with someone higher up n the dealership as your salesman doesn't seem to know the tricks of the trade.

You could also ask if they have any pre-registered cars that meet your needs - with a suitable discount to compensate for the trouble.
    • rule
    • By rule 24th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rule
    Not sure why you think they would be "bluffing".

You ordered a factory-order car, without thinking about the potential for a mild slippage in delivery taking into the long-publicised change in VED.
    You are now complaining about that mild slippage.
    You have two choices... Accept the car, or cancel the car.

You want a third choice - register the car in advance of delivery. They are saying they cannot/will not (which it is is irrelevant) do that, so that choice does not exist.

The order was placed with the dealer promising that they would meet the initial expected period (verbally) , I have then chased written confirmation about the date a couple of time but didn't get them (should have known best).
    • rule
    • By rule 24th Mar 17, 9:18 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rule
    I ordered a car in January - I discussed build dates and potential slippage and hand wrote on the contract that the order was conditional on registration on or before 31st March.

The dealer also said that if the delay became close then they could register the car without having physically received it - so check with someone higher up n the dealership as your salesman doesn't seem to know the tricks of the trade.

You could also ask if they have any pre-registered cars that meet your needs - with a suitable discount to compensate for the trouble.
    Originally posted by Tiddlywinks

I also agreed on the date but didn't place a cond offer or didn't have it written on the document that we signed it says desired delivery date February , but is desired (not agreed) surprising that your dealer says that , mine says that they cant do it . contacted DVLA and DVLA reckons that it needs to be in the UK, anyway have to bite the bullet I guess..
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 24th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 14,342 Posts
    • 12,685 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The order was placed with the dealer promising that they would meet the initial expected period (verbally) , I have then chased written confirmation about the date a couple of time but didn't get them (should have known best).
    And what did the order Ts & Cs say (in writing) about delivery dates?

You seem to think that the dealer have some influence in when the factory build your car and how long the logistics chain takes to deliver it. Where is it being built?
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 24th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Your dealer might have their own rule about not registering vehicles until they actually arrive. Perhaps they've had issues in the past where the VIN they were supplied in advance turned out to be different when it actually arrived, for example. You'd imagine modern record-keeping might make that impossible, but experience trumps all.
    • rule
    • By rule 24th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rule
    And what did the order Ts & Cs say (in writing) about delivery dates?

You seem to think that the dealer have some influence in when the factory build your car and how long the logistics chain takes to deliver it. Where is it being built?

The T&Cs are a completely different story you are right, I have no misconceptions that the dealer has full control of delivery dates / slippage and events during the delivery but I was led to believe that the delivery date period was certain, anyway it is what it is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,527Posts Today

8,177Users online

Martin's Twitter