Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 20th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 2,664Posts
    • 1,490Thanks
    Annie1960
    Ring video doorbell
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    Ring video doorbell 20th Mar 17 at 5:21 PM
    As I'm having a new front door, I'm also looking at doorbells.

Does anyone have anything like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Video-Doorbell-Bundle-/351882840855?hash=item51edda0b17:g:7hEAAOSwuxFYt1k D

Is it a gimmick or useful?
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 20th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 35,660 Posts
    • 150,282 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    Both. It is gimmicky but also useful.

If you are out you can see on your phone who is ringing the door bell.

Useful when kids claim to have been home by 10pm or it wasn't them that knocked the flower pots over!
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 20th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    Mind that unless you have a mains powered (via the right V transformer) existing door bell that this will be battery powered.

We had one but as the internet here isnt that great (upload is <1mb/s) the quality of the video feed isnt great. I will try again though once we have switched to fibre in a few weeks.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 20th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    Mind that unless you have a mains powered (via the right V transformer) existing door bell that this will be battery powered.

We had one but as the internet here isnt that great (upload is <1mb/s) the quality of the video feed isnt great. I will try again though once we have switched to fibre in a few weeks.
    Originally posted by JP1978
    We have fast broadband here so that aspect should be ok.

No doorbell (in fact no door at all) at present, so will get a suitable doorbell.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 5th Apr 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 5th Apr 17, 10:11 AM
    • 5th Apr 17, 10:11 AM
    Could I set this up to cover both front door and side door, or would I need one for each door?
    • Dia Pita
    • By Dia Pita 14th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Dia Pita
    • 14th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    Hi you would need to get one for each door. Check out ring.com website.

Debt Free Aug 15 Mortgage Free Aug 16
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.
    Lose 8lb by 1/8/17

• Ptolemyspuzzle
    • By Ptolemyspuzzle 5th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Ptolemyspuzzle
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    I had one, about to send it back. normal battery model. The lag between the ring and it coming through is ridiculous, I had people leaving by the time my phone rang. I have incredibly fast internet (up and down). I've also tried using their ring "pro" extender and it didn't help.

If you want other people to hear your door bell without installing the app on their phone, then you need to buy a separate ring chime unit.

It is cloud based, you cannot save any video. If you want them to save your videos for you there's an extra subscription on top.

Expensive gimmick imo. The same could be achieved with sensors/webcams. Oh another thing to keep in mind, it is HUGE. It will *NOT* simply go where your old bell was.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 8th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    Could I set this up to cover both front door and side door, or would I need one for each door?
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    I think Ring do a seperate, camera only unit to cover other doors or areas around the house, its about £160 I think, just doesnt have the doorbell facility?
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 9th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    I had one, about to send it back. normal battery model. The lag between the ring and it coming through is ridiculous, I had people leaving by the time my phone rang. I have incredibly fast internet (up and down). I've also tried using their ring "pro" extender and it didn't help.

If you want other people to hear your door bell without installing the app on their phone, then you need to buy a separate ring chime unit.

This is what I'm doing, as I find wifi technology is in the very early stages and does not work very well.

It is cloud based, you cannot save any video. If you want them to save your videos for you there's an extra subscription on top.

Expensive gimmick imo. The same could be achieved with sensors/webcams. Oh another thing to keep in mind, it is HUGE. It will *NOT* simply go where your old bell was.
    Originally posted by Ptolemyspuzzle
    When you say it's huge, do you mean the Ring or Ring pro?
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 10th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    JP1978
    There are similar products, can't mind the names, have a google for them and read their reviews compared to Ring.

I bought mine via Amazon Prime and was very careful with the packaging and so when the delay in getting to the phone was so long, I returned it as not fit for purpose.
    • Ptolemyspuzzle
    • By Ptolemyspuzzle 10th Jun 17, 11:11 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Ptolemyspuzzle
    When you say it's huge, do you mean the Ring or Ring pro?
    The Ring.

It was wider than the frame on my door.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 6,391 Thanks
    Strider590
    That's a lot of bloody money for a doorbell........

Wireless IP camera = £35-£50
    Wired doorbell = £20

I already have a CCTV camera at my front door and I got so sick of unreliable wireless doorbells that I made my own wired doorbell from stuff I had in my spare parts draw.
    My CCTV is accessible from anywhere in the world on any PC/phone/tablet that I happen to have access to.

If you think about it, by the time you've got your phone to check who is at the door, they either going to have heard you fumbling about OR they're going to leave.
    Last edited by Strider590; 10-06-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 10th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    That's a lot of bloody money for a doorbell........

Wireless IP camera = £35-£50
    Wired doorbell = £20

I already have a CCTV camera at my front door and I got so sick of unreliable wireless doorbells that I made my own wired doorbell from stuff I had in my spare parts draw.
    My CCTV is accessible from anywhere in the world on any PC/phone/tablet that I happen to have access to.

If you think about it, by the time you've got your phone to check who is at the door, they either going to have heard you fumbling about OR they're going to leave.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    How do you hear your wired doorbell prompting you to access your IP camera remotely when you're not at home?

That's the point of these Ring doorbells. Haven't you seen the TV ads?

However I do agree they are too bloody expensive!
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 10th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    The Ring.

It was wider than the frame on my door.
    Originally posted by Ptolemyspuzzle

I'm getting the pro, and it will be on the brick work, not on my lovely new door frame.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 10th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I'm getting the pro, and it will be on the brick work, not on my lovely new door frame.
    How do stop them getting pinched?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 32,312 Posts
    • 27,074 Thanks
    custardy
    https://harizanov.com/2013/07/raspberry-pi-emalsms-doorbell-notifier-picture-of-the-person-ringing-it/
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 10th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960

If it was still the 1980s I would be interested in this. These days I just prefer to pay someone to deal with things for me.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 10th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    How do stop them getting pinched?
    Originally posted by lovinituk

Ring promoses to replace free if it's stolen.

Mine will be wired in, so harder to pinch.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jun 17, 11:24 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 6,391 Thanks
    Strider590
    How do you hear your wired doorbell prompting you to access your IP camera remotely when you're not at home?

That's the point of these Ring doorbells. Haven't you seen the TV ads?

However I do agree they are too bloody expensive!
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    Why do I need to? it's not as if I can just up sticks and teleport myself 20 miles in time to answer the door.

My CCTV records motion events, so I can check that at any time (useful to know if the postie has left a package in my utilities cupboard).

When i'm at home, the CCTV calls out a motion alarm, so I often know someone is there before the bell rings.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 11th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Why do I need to? it's not as if I can just up sticks and teleport myself 20 miles in time to answer the door.

My CCTV records motion events, so I can check that at any time (useful to know if the postie has left a package in my utilities cupboard).

When i'm at home, the CCTV calls out a motion alarm, so I often know someone is there before the bell rings.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    You're missing the point. The unique selling point of the Ring is that you CAN see who is at your door even when you're not at home. Your suggested alternative does not have that function so is irrelevant to someone looking to buy the Ring.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,205Users online

Martin's Twitter