Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alicat_uk
    • By Alicat_uk 20th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Alicat_uk
    New Lifetime ISA
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    New Lifetime ISA 20th Mar 17 at 5:18 PM
    I'm new to Forums so please forgive any errors.

The new lifetime ISA as I understand is for 1st time buyers or pensions. My son is talking about opening one of these accounts in April as a saving plan for buying a property. However, he is a trustee (along with me) on his deceased grandmother's flat. Would that make him ineligible? Many thanks

Alicat
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 20th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    Being a trustee would not be a problem. Being a beneficiary might be.
    • Alicat_uk
    • By Alicat_uk 20th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alicat_uk
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    So, do you mean he would not be treated as a 1st time buyer as he has inherited an interest in the flat? Thank you
    • masonic
    • By masonic 20th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    So, do you mean he would not be treated as a 1st time buyer as he has inherited an interest in the flat? Thank you
    Originally posted by Alicat_uk
    If he has inherited an interest in the flat, he would not qualify for a penalty free withdrawal to buy property.
    • Alicat_uk
    • By Alicat_uk 20th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alicat_uk
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    Many thanks x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,238Posts Today

7,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin