Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VodkaSorbet
    • By VodkaSorbet 20th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 794Thanks
    VodkaSorbet
    Finding very short-term temp work
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    Finding very short-term temp work 20th Mar 17 at 4:53 PM
    I'm trying to find temp work (of any sort) just for 2 - 3 weeks. I can do any hours, starting immediately, and will do any type of work. I've been in person to the only 2 agencies which have physical offices in the area (I've had no response from anything applied for online) but they have not come up with a single thing in over a week.

Am I being unrealistic in thinking this sort of short-term work might exist or does anyone have any tips for finding something?
    Last edited by VodkaSorbet; 20-03-2017 at 4:58 PM.
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    For very short term contracts I would assume that the employer will need a person with good skills in that specific role. There won't be time to train anybody up in most instances.
    • VodkaSorbet
    • By VodkaSorbet 20th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    VodkaSorbet
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    I was thinking of unskilled work, the type I used to do in university holidays e.g. printing, stuffing envelopes, non-skilled factory work. I used to do 1 week or less in each place.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    When my wife was made redundant she registered with a couple of agencies and was offered short term contracts very quickly. Literally within a week of registering with them. These were basic admin jobs but she has worked in that type of job all her life.
    All I can suggest is that you speak direct to the agencies to see if it's simply a general lack of work, or if your skill set doesn't fit with their requirements.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 20th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    You should select the option immediately available on reed.

If you have an account. On the home screen to the right there is a just column under your profile display - Temp Work, Are you available, click there.

Worked a few times for me with agencies automatically getting the CV. For immediate start opportunities.
    Last edited by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt; 20-03-2017 at 7:17 PM. Reason: .
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 20th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    Try the supermarkets - I needed work in a hurry, and got a job on the checkouts in one beginning with M. I was only there 4 weeks in the end, although I didn't know how long it was going to be when I started. In that time I got fully till-trained, and they also started training me on the deli counter!! When I handed my notice in, there was no ill-feeling, and I was made to feel that if I needed to go back to them later they would be happy to have me.

Oh, and I was only able to do evenings and Sundays.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 29,557 Posts
    • 18,681 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    Short term work is out there, well in my area it is.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 20th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    • 19,397 Posts
    • 31,382 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    I lost my job at the end of 2015 and it took me 6 months to find something else, despite me being able to do any short or long term assignments.

I found last year, jobs were thin on the ground (where I live) due to a combination of the minimum wage going up, the end of the financial year and the EU election.

We are coming up to the new financial year again so that might be having an impact in the (geographical) area where you are searching for work.
    • VodkaSorbet
    • By VodkaSorbet 20th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    VodkaSorbet
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    Thanks - I will try Reed as suggested.

I'd feel bad about going to a supermarket knowing I would be there for max 3 weeks.

The problem I've had with the agencies is within 30s of me asking about temp work (without them knowing anything about me) they started pushing permanent work at me and asking why I'm not interested in it. Their own websites say they have exactly the sort of immediate start, short term work I'm looking for available in my area but they just say 'We'll call you if anything comes up'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin