Mattress for a toddler?

Hi all,

We're in the process of switching our 2 year old from his cot to a brand new bed.

We've decided to put him straight into a double as he moves around so much during the night that we think the extra space might be useful!

The question is, what mattress do we get him? We're not keen on the idea of a straight memory foam as they can get v hot but we like the idea of a pocket spring/memory foam hybrid.

The 3 companies we think we've settled on are:

https://www.sleepingduck.com
https://simbasleep.com
https://www.hydeandsleep.com

There isn't much between them price wise and all the reviews for them are equally glowing but it's v difficult to choose between them.

The most basic hyde and sleep hybrid is the cheapest out the lot but has 'only' 1200 pocket springs. A part of me thinks that this would be more than enough support for a child but then the other part of me would feel like a bad parent for not splashing out the money and going for one with more springs!

Anyway, I'm very confused given the number of options and wondered if anyone had any thoughts and experience of this?

Comments

• Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Bear in mind you'll probably end up replacing the mattress a lot quicker than an adults as kids will jump on it a lot (and pee on it).
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Personally I would buy a natural mattress. If you can stretch to it, a ViSpring. You will need to use some sort of protector until he's housetrained!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My kids won't have double beds ever while living here, no need for it at all at 18 let alone 2!

We got a 160*70cm bed used, and a new mattress from IKEA
  • marc81
    marc81 Posts: 121
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A toddler definitely does not need a double bed, they will only 'move around a lot' if the space is there. Once their toy collection grows you'll miss the floor space for sure.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    The only good reason I can think of for a toddler to have a double bed would be so they could give up their room to occasional guests.

As to the choice at mattress, I'd get an inexpensive one - Ikea or similar - as he'll only ruin it by weeing/puking on it! In terms of comfort, my children (2 and 4) would happily sleep on the floor so I wouldn't worry too much!
  • My son would always move about in his cot, was always facing a different directions when we went in there,

As soon as we put him in his 'big boy bed' with a toddler pillow 6 months ago (just converted the cot in to the toddler bed) he was absolutely fine, he hardly moves and is always facing the right way in morning,..
  • rajanm
    rajanm Posts: 106
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone. We actually listened to your advice and went for a single bed in the end. And we got the mattress from one of the new start ups Otty sleep - they were a bit cheaper and still had good reviews. We're coupling that with a solid pine bed from Cotswold Company which only cost £160!
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can I recommend getting a couple of mattress protectors from the green sheep company. They aren't cheap but they do the job perfectly and are comfortable and quiet. We had them on our little ones cot mattress and have got 2 for his current single bed. They have been used several times already but the mattress is spotless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure