Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrpipps
    • By mrpipps 20th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    mrpipps
    had 10700 ppi given and then taken away today
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    had 10700 ppi given and then taken away today 20th Mar 17 at 4:26 PM
    hi everyone i'm new to the site can anyone give advice or help me
    today i received a letter stating i'd been given 10700 ppi fees from my bank for the period 1998 to 2002.
    but because i went bankrupt 7 years later in 2009 they paid it to the official receiver and i get nothing.
    if they had not put the ppi on my debt which i knew nothing about i might not have had to go bankrupt or if they'd have paid me the money they owed me sooner,the 10700, again i would have paid my debts with that money and no need to go bankrupt.
    please can anyone advise or give name of someone who can help me.
    how can someone owe money for a bankrupcy 7 years before they go bankrupt and how can someone have to pay money that was theirs by law in 2002 and then have it taken off them in 2014?
    please help me regards jeanette.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 18,871 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    Already answered on your duplicate post 45 minutes ago..

However, here's your answer again

Bankrupts cannot ever make PPI complaints and receive anything personally. Redress from PPI complaints is treated as a pre-bankruptcy asset and belongs to the Official Receiver who will use it for redistribution to your former creditors.

This remains the situation how ever long ago you were discharged.

Sorry.

Full details here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3766585
    • mrpipps
    • By mrpipps 20th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mrpipps
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    thank you,sorry i'm learning to use the site
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 88,334 Posts
    • 53,552 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    but because i went bankrupt 7 years later in 2009 they paid it to the official receiver and i get nothing.
    The good news is that your creditors that failed to be repaid when you went bankrupt will now receive some money.

if they had not put the ppi on my debt which i knew nothing about i might not have had to go bankrupt
    PPi is usually a relatively small monthly cost. Not the sort of thing that is the difference between solvency an insolvent.

if they'd have paid me the money they owed me sooner,the 10700, again i would have paid my debts with that money and no need to go bankrupt.
    It wouldnt have been 10,700 though. A good chunk of that will be interest.

how can someone owe money for a bankrupcy 7 years before they go bankrupt and how can someone have to pay money that was theirs by law in 2002 and then have it taken off them in 2014?
    A better question is that how can someone who failed to pay their debts think they should be entitled to money from before their bankruptcy whilst creditors that went unpaid should lose out?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,047Posts Today

8,820Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin