Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tgirl
    • By tgirl 20th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 15Thanks
    tgirl
    Pensions for self employed
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    Pensions for self employed 20th Mar 17 at 3:22 PM
    Hello

I have about a year of pension in a pot from a previous employment . The provider was called Friends Life. I'm now self employed and wondering what to do. Shall I continue paying in to this pension as an employee contributor? Shall I leave it and start a new one? Who with? I contacted Friends life and they said I can lay in by direct debit? But what about my employers contribution? Should I pay this from my limited company?

Sorry for questions.

Tgirl
Page 1
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 20th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    I'm now self employed
    Should I pay this from my limited company?
    So you are not self employed, you are an employee of (your?) limited company.

This makes a difference as the company can pay employer contributions directly into a pension scheme of yours avoiding income tax, employee and employer NI and dividend tax while paying less corporation tax.

This is normally a "no brainer".

I assuming you are paying yourself between £112 and £155 a week so you get qualifying weeks for you state pension without actually paying any NI for them?
    • atush
    • By atush 20th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 15,711 Posts
    • 9,514 Thanks
    atush
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    Open a pension (personal or sipp) and have the limited company pay your pension contributions It is a deductible business expense.
    • tgirl
    • By tgirl 20th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    tgirl
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    Thanks all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,792Posts Today

5,097Users online

Martin's Twitter