Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 20th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 12,500Posts
    • 5,168Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    i have a double barrelled topic here
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    i have a double barrelled topic here 20th Mar 17 at 4:18 PM
    I have been involved here in my first ever parking issue with a private "cowboy company", loads of thanks to those that try to help.

However, whilst I hang around I get alarmed at the constant advice to posters to "read the stickies, do the newbie thing? etc"

To be honest incomers are largely panicking and will ask before doing a search that may even be beyond them, ie what search term etc.
    So, I'm asking, don't do the do a sticky search to death, we understand but most cases have some individuality, an effort to respect that would go down well from those who are here to help?

So to my second point, given I'm not afraid to face my pursuing cowboys in court, but has anyone actually claimed against them for illegal harassment or such like in the county court, a preemptive attack so to speak?

Again from the newbie parking alleged offender, this stuff does have a stress related impact and a life effect.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
Page 2
    • yotmon
    • By yotmon 24th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    yotmon
    I've only been visiting this forum since 2015 and have seen how things have greatly changed. It was pre- Beavis Supreme court ruling and most requests were dealing with popla appeals and using gpeol as an almost 'slam dunk' defence.

Now when reading posts, a very high majority are seeking advice on what defence to supply for court, so the threat has been shifted up a gear. New defences are being generated, counterclaims re' dpa have also been developed to push back the threat level.

I think that this forum brings to light the woeful inadequacies of the ppcs and correctly informs the public that there is no legal obligation to pay these invoices, unless obviously a court rules otherwise.

Fear is a weapon that the ppcs use and use it well. Their offer of a 'discount' if paid early is no such thing - it should be regarded as what it is- a threat to increase the payment if not paid within their time-scales. So, if this forum can at least allay this fear, then we are halfway there in combatting what could be called 'The greatest scam on earth' !
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 24th Mar 17, 1:29 PM
    • 38,944 Posts
    • 77,707 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    OP, let me ask you this.
    If you were going to make a road trip to somewhere you had never been before, would you?

a) Drive to the end of your road, then stop and ask a bunch of strangers how to get to a specific address in a town 100 miles away,

or

b) Look at a road atlas/online map/route planner, or programme your GPS before you left home.

We are the bunch of random strangers on the street corner. Our answer is, have you researched your route, what do you already know about your route, there's a shop here that sells road atlases. If you need any more help once you've done your bit of homework, come back if you need further help.

I don't know about you, but a decent road atlas will get me close to where I want to go, but I may have to ask for directions once I get somewhere near my destination.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 24th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    nicechap
    Sorry chap but to say that is offensive to anyone coming to this forum for the first time.

Again, this is not about me, it's about people who haven't a clue how to proceed, firing off a shot whilst doing further research is exactly the right thing to do, sorry if that escapes you.

Have I searched the forum? what better example to the point I've made could you give.
    Originally posted by cyclonebri1
    I think you are wrong, again.

I doubt you speak for everyone coming to this forum but if you do, please show evidence of how you do.

If what I have said is offensive, please, please report it to the MSE team and let's see if they delete it. No doubt all the people you represent have already reported it as its offensive.

What seems to escape you is the amount of time and effort people already give up to this forum, and you a stranger to this sub forum have come in advising the regulars to change their game. Now that is rude, some may even take offence.

So how did you get on with the link I posted? Did you read through every thread to find what you are looking for? Or did you expect someone to read them all for you and just tell you the individual answer you want?

And how many replies have you made to all the new threads posted since your original insightful suggestion?
    Last edited by nicechap; 24-03-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • blakbruker
    • By blakbruker 24th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    blakbruker
    I posted on here as a newbie yesterday after reading the forum for a couple of days. It seemed obvious to me after reading a few posts (googling the address on the drivers PCN) that:

a) Stop panicking
    b) Read the NEWBIE/sticky thread!

I've now had some excellent advice and been given greater confidence from my own thread and have a starting point should I need any further advice down the road (which undoubtedly I will!).

So, in short, IMO "READ THE NEWBIE THREAD" isn't rude or unhelpful but actually the best advice one can get to start with.

Perhaps though, there ought to be a sign that says something like "Posters on this forum agree to READ THE NEWBIES thread, otherwise a breach of contract has occurred and the poster agrees to pay a charge of 100 reduced to 60 if paid within 14 days". Just a thought
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 24th Mar 17, 4:59 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 5,168 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Then after reading your first post I bow to you as a truly superior Newbie that understands parking law via the 3rd person and is just seeking confirmation.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72302862#post72302862

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 24th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 5,168 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    I think you are wrong, again.
    You have every right to think as you wish, this thread is my thoughts, can't I state them, I didn't say I was right or wrong.

I doubt you speak for everyone coming to this forum but if you do, please show evidence of how you do.

Did I say I was speaking for anyone else?, just voicing my view and how yours can be mis-interpreted.

If what I have said is offensive, please, please report it to the MSE team and let's see if they delete it. No doubt all the people you represent have already reported it as its offensive.

Did I say anything in this thread was offensive, it certainly isn't on my part

What seems to escape you is the amount of time and effort people already give up to this forum, and you a stranger to this sub forum have come in advising the regulars to change their game. Now that is rude, some may even take offence.

Read my comments again and see if that "escapes me" Your comment referring to me as a stranger clinches my argument, but as a non newcomer I'm not going away

So how did you get on with the link I posted? Did you read through every thread to find what you are looking for? Or did you expect someone to read them all for you and just tell you the individual answer you want?

Did I ask you for an answer to a question or simply make an observation that it is very easy to offend panicking incomers regardless of how much time you seem to be prepared to devote to the forum

And how many replies have you made to all the new threads posted since your original insightful suggestion?
    Originally posted by nicechap
    I'm talking about people coming here to ask for help, I'm not in a position to give advice on this topic, but if I was it would not be go do a search.

PS on the last point, your sarcasm re "And how many replies have you made to all the new threads posted since your original insightful suggestion?" is again very helpful, not

Guess I'm just not a member of your club and as someone that has a different perception of how to treat incomers I must truly be wrong because you said you think I am.

• catfunt
    • By catfunt 24th Mar 17, 5:45 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    catfunt
    OP, let me ask you this.
    If you were going to make a road trip to somewhere you had never been before, would you?

a) Drive to the end of your road, then stop and ask a bunch of strangers how to get to a specific address in a town 100 miles away,

or

b) Look at a road atlas/online map/route planner, or programme your GPS before you left home.

We are the bunch of random strangers on the street corner. Our answer is, have you researched your route, what do you already know about your route, there's a shop here that sells road atlases. If you need any more help once you've done your bit of homework, come back if you need further help.

I don't know about you, but a decent road atlas will get me close to where I want to go, but I may have to ask for directions once I get somewhere near my destination.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    That is brilliantly put. Sums it up perfectly.

To the OP. No-one is trying to be rude to newbies.

Some newbies come on here wailing "help! yelp! parking charge!!/debt collectors letters!!" etc etc", and we say:
    "Read the Newbies thread, and try a search on some keywords, you will find a lot of information that way. We simply don't have time due to sheer volume of posts to hold everyone's hands through this."

We are simply saying that the information is there, and how to find it.

We even suggest some keywords to search with, as that will lead you to the information you need.

If that is a concept that one can't handle, then how are they going to find the nous to fight the charge etc. off?

Sorry if that comes across as rude, unfriendly, or tough, - it really is not meant to - but we are telling you how it is.

Yes, it can be scary at the outset, but we are telling you how to help yourself.
    Last edited by catfunt; 24-03-2017 at 5:58 PM.
    Got a Private Parking Notice??
    ** Do Not Pay
    ** Do Not Ignore a Notice to Keeper (except Scotland)
    ** Do not mention who was driving (No "Me" Myself" "I")
    ** Never, ever phone a Private Parking Company
    ** Please read the NEWBIES thread at the top of the forum
    • waamo
    • By waamo 24th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    waamo
    I'm talking about people coming here to ask for help, I'm not in a position to give advice on this topic, but if I was it would not be go do a search.

PS on the last point, your sarcasm re "And how many replies have you made to all the new threads posted since your original insightful suggestion?" is again very helpful, not

Guess I'm just not a member of your club and as someone that has a different perception of how to treat incomers I must truly be wrong because you said you think I am.
    If you find it disagreeable why dont you start helping newbies? The assistance on here would be very welcome.
    This space for hire.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 24th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    nicechap
    Sorry chap but to say that is offensive to anyone coming to this forum for the first time.
    ......Did I say I was speaking for anyone else?.........

Did I say anything in this thread was offensive.......
    I think its probably just as well if you don't start offering advice to newbies
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 24th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 38,944 Posts
    • 77,707 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    I suggest we let this thread drop off the charts.

I see several dozen new threads asking for help since I was last here, and loads more already running that require further help.

I for one would rather spend my time helping Newbies who have come here with a problem than trying to defend my methods of doing so.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 24-03-2017 at 8:48 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 25th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 5,168 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    I suggest we let this thread drop off the charts.

I see several dozen new threads asking for help since I was last here, and loads more already running that require further help.

I for one would rather spend my time helping Newbies who have come here with a problem than trying to defend my methods of doing so.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    And that is what I asked this section of the forum to do, to help, not to alienate via the first contact,

I've had my say, it's my view. If you don't agree I have no issue. I have simply exposed the thought to you, act as you want. No more comment from me inline with fruitcake.

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 25th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 5,168 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    I think its probably just as well if you don't start offering advice to newbies
    Originally posted by nicechap

I haven't offered newbies any advice, nor will under this section. The advice is suggested it to you.

I've offered advice to those who advice. Take it, leave it,it matters to no one other than the bloke that gets told go do a search and then swears never to come back, you go figure.

Ask yourself the question, am I here to help, or am I getting bored and frustrated by repetitive posts that are from newcomers on here?. If you truly want to help live with it.

And that is post closed frm me.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 25th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 12,694 Posts
    • 19,518 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72306140&postcount=1

Note final paragraph.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 1st Apr 17, 1:26 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 5,168 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    I have to come back guys because I'm here as of about 10 years back, and that is my issue.
    The way oldies or click friend are treated as against newbies.

I won't be alienated by folks on the site, I belong here, even though I don't seek supporters

Lets get back to that last paragraph.

Coupon mad has been fantastic for me. Others haven't, and many have caused newbies to do a runner, that's my point, so Umkomaas, what is your point???
    Last edited by cyclonebri1; 01-04-2017 at 1:29 PM.

• IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 2nd Apr 17, 7:02 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Others haven't, and many have caused newbies to do a runner, that's my point,
    You're suggesting causality here where there is no proof of that. If you had said "may have caused newbies to do a runner ..." I may have agreed with you.

Newbies do runners for many reasons. Have helped people who

a) don't want the hassle
    b) realise when reviewing the facts of the case they were in the wrong
    c) take an ostrich approach
    d) are encouraged to take an ostrich approach
    e) they actually got the information they needed by searching.

Whilst there is some truth in what you say, there are also areas that are unsupported by evidence.
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 2nd Apr 17, 9:34 AM
    • 5,092 Posts
    • 6,330 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I do not see the problem here

When someone new enters the front page of this forum, right at the top they can read

"Sticky: **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!"

A very polite message which is highlighted

It is not the responsibility of the experts on here to ensure the thread is read, one can only hope

It is clear that many do not read the thread and hence they are re directed back to the thread.
    That makes pure sense as many of the answers will be found there.

If a newbie does a runner because they are told to look at the thread, it's not being rude, it is for their own interests
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 20th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 5,168 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Been away for a while, but the element of superiority forces me to comment again.

Quote;

"Individuality" is one of the biggest mistakes new posters make "-

"If people want to get individually spoon fed advice they are free to employ a solicitor and pay accordingly."

"Newbies posting on this specific forum are from the general public."

"This means that they range from the intelligent, to the stupid members of society."..

There are many more quotes from this thread that do nothing other than to suggest that the experts simply don't understand the situation the newbie is in, ie, blind panic, they will simply blurt out the question first then search whilst awaiting replies, I see that, don't know if the experts here can?

However, please don't reply, I said I wouldn't answer again but have to as having read numerous newbie threads that have stopped after such comments I had to reply once more before yet again I was accused of walking away from an ongoing thread,

• pogofish
    • By pogofish 20th Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    pogofish
    Are you really suggesting we greatly reduce the number of people helped here in order to salve a few precious egos?

Because that's what the upshot of taking a more personalised approach would be.

And if you want a good example of how effective Stickies can be, have a look at the Radio Codes thread in the Motoring forum - a few years back, that forum was grinding to a halt with "Help me I need a radio code" threads - and the guys doing sterling work to help people were getting dogs abuse for not helping people because the number of individual threads inevitably meant people got overlooked.

So the stickies were started and although it took a while (couple of years?) and yes, some bluntness was needed, individual threads are now a rare thing nearly everyone gets responses in a matter of hours. Plus it is also pretty easy to spot the potential traders looking to exploit MSE for free codes.

So yes, newbies can find, read and act on the advice in stickies it seems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

6,720Users online

Martin's Twitter