Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • banjodog
    • By banjodog 20th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 22Thanks
    banjodog
    State pension calculation
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    State pension calculation 20th Mar 17 at 3:49 PM
    My wife and I are a bit confused about the state pension calculation shown on the new HMRC Tax Account page https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-your-state-pension/account

Our accounts show that we both have over 35 years of full NI contributions. My COPE is £53.49 a week. My wife's COPE is 64.71 per week

Yet my estimated state pension is £172 a week, where as my wife's is £130.

Why the big difference? I will retire in 2022, my wife in 2021

Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 15,989 Posts
    • 10,170 Thanks
    molerat
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    You will have a higher S2P amount than her. The COPE is only relevant in calculating the April 2016 starting amount.
    155.65-53.49=£102.16
    155.65-64.71=£90.94
    In both your cases that starting amount is based on the old 30 yr calculation as it is higher.

On a positive note your wife will be able to increase her pension going forward by up to another £22.25 depending on her retirement date whilst yours has reached its limit no matter how much NI you pay.
    Last edited by molerat; 20-03-2017 at 4:29 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin