Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamie_02
    • By jamie_02 20th Mar 17, 3:37 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 49Thanks
    jamie_02
    New TSB app
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:37 PM
    New TSB app 20th Mar 17 at 3:37 PM
    Happened to see a new TSB on the iOS App Store yesterday. It seems it's a brand new app, not an update to the existing one so it hadn't downloaded automatically (and I now have two TSB apps side-by-side, temporarily).

The interface is slicker, and it now supports fingerprint ID (a good thing, the last app's character entry is less secure). Some reviews comment on no available balance showing, but I haven't recently made any transactions on my account so I can't comment.

Anyway, not as good as Nationwide, but seems slicker and quicker than first direct.

Anyone have a preference for any other bank apps?
Page 2
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 6th Aug 17, 9:41 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    I installed the new TSB app. a few days ago and it has been using as much battery as my screen!!! I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7. Is anyone else having this problem and, if so, how have you resolved it?
    Originally posted by Annelise 44
    Everybody's having that problem. If you read the reviews of the app on Google Play Store you'll see there are loads of complaints about it. I don't know what it's like on IOS.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Aug 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    AndyPK
    My first impression of the app was not good.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 6th Aug 17, 1:55 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    northwalesd
    Everybody's having that problem.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    I'm not, working quite happily on a Galaxy A5.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Aug 17, 5:07 PM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 1,207 Thanks
    eDicky
    I installed the new TSB app. a few days ago and it has been using as much battery as my screen!!! I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7. Is anyone else having this problem and, if so, how have you resolved it?
    Originally posted by Annelise 44
    My phone gives me a warning that the app is draining my battery, after I have used and closed it. I have to 'force stop' it. Perhaps it is busy collecting data on your typical activity for use by TSB and others for marketing. (Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching me for targeted marketing...)
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 6th Aug 17, 5:23 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    glosoli
    I don't like it either, as already mentioned the font is far too big and not a fan of the sliding windows to view the accounts. They are trying too hard...
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 7th Aug 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Yet nobody has questioned why the app needs access to SMS, microphone, contacts...
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 7th Aug 17, 9:38 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    I'm not, working quite happily on a Galaxy A5.
    Originally posted by northwalesd
    I took a quick gander at the app's battery usage a couple of days ago and it was unremarkable. I've just checked it again and noticed this:

The TSB app does appear to be draining the battery. I haven't ran it since I charged my phone this morning, so it's done that itself.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 12th Aug 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    anotheruser
    FYI:

Needs access to contacts to use the "pay a contact" feature.

They didn't say exactly why it needs access to SMS and Microphone but gave details how to deny the app access.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 12th Aug 17, 10:35 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    The general opinion of the new TSB app is pretty dire. Just 2.3 stars on the Google play store (android). The old TSB app has 4.3 stars.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 13th Aug 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    They've spent a bit of time on making the interface look good, but the usability has really dropped off. You need a lot more input to do things than before, including flicking from screen to screen.

Issues for me include - I have two barclaycards as payees. I used to see the reference number to select which one I wanted. Now I have to select one of them before I can check I have the right one, as the reference numbers are not shown.

Having to put in the password each time I make a payment. That wasn't the case before.

It's slower at loading / logging in etc.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 16th Aug 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    They must be responding to concerns. I was asked to complete a survey on the app today when I was logging in. I've told them pretty much what I said here - so if you have any issues and are offered the survey please take a few minutes to let them know.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 16th Aug 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 7,122 Thanks
    poppy10
    Ugh. The new TSB android app bans rooted devices
    This app won’t run on a rooted device
    When a device is rooted, safeguards built into Android are overridden and could leave it more vulnerable to attack by things like malware, putting your data at risk. For this reason, we don't allow our app to run on rooted devices.
    So spurious. I can log in to the TSB website using the browser on a rooted phone, or indeed on a spyware-infected windows PC. Banning rooted devices doesn't improve security, it just annoys power users.

I know Barclays also bans rooted devices, HSBC doesn't. Anybody know what other bank apps ban rooted devices?
    This post is sponsored by MoneySupermarket
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 16th Aug 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    The approval rating for the new TSB app has slumped to 2.2 out of 5 on the Google Play Store. This is the lowest ranking of any UK bank app, -most of them are over 4 stars as was the old TSB app. Let's hope the developers take note and come up with some drastic improvements before they switch the old app off.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 16th Aug 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Kim_13
    They've now followed Nationwide in demanding an update past iOS7 Minimum 8.0 for the old app or 8.1 for the new.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 17th Aug 17, 2:25 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    KittenChops
    Have downloaded the app a few times over the last 2 months or so. Every time I attempt to use it I can only get as far as logging in and then it crashes. I still have the old app on my phone so not sure if that's not helping.
    I have a Samsung S4 mini so maybe my phone is too old...
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 13th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    northwalesd
    Yesterday's update claims to address battery drain, amongst other things .
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 13th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    Vortigern
    Ugh. The new TSB android app bans rooted devices.

I know Barclays also bans rooted devices, HSBC doesn't. Anybody know what other bank apps ban rooted devices?
    Originally posted by poppy10
    first direct warns me that my phone is rooted, but allows me to use the app.

I think Tesco also bans rooted devices.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 14th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Don80
    I'm not a huge fan of the new TSB app, yes it's nice seeing pending transactions, but trying to figure some things out isn't fun. The old one was intuitive. As my main account is with the Bank of Scotland I like that the "old" one will be the one I use most (since it's the same platform). I left the Royal Bank earlier this year, and I have to say, theirs is the best mobile app I have seen. If they had decent accounts I would have stayed with them, but what the Bank of Scotland offers was so much better it was a no brainer.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 14th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Kim_13
    So I finally lost the will to live with apps refusing to work with iOS7 and updated my iPad 3 to iOS9 (highest it'll go.)

I assume TSB will eventually decide to stop supporting the old one, so I've downloaded the new and have it stored in a folder should that happen. Is there a way to stop the old one asking you if you want to download the new one every time? I thought it might stop it since I actually have the new installed but it doesn't.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • colb15
    • By colb15 15th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    colb15
    There are lots of issues with the new app but the main one for me is the size of the font. It's ridiculously large, can only see a few transactions at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,844Posts Today

8,575Users online

Martin's Twitter