Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mookev
    • By mookev 20th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 3Thanks
    mookev
    Claiming back phone costs
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    Claiming back phone costs 20th Mar 17 at 2:14 PM
    I do a small amount of mystery shopping, some of which involves making phone calls which normally come out of my allowance. Can I claim these against tax?

Thanks
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 20th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    You can probably claim a deduction in your taxable income, i.e. reduce the amount on which you have to pay tax. Example: if you've earned £1000 from mystery shopping and spent £50 on phone calls, you will pay tax on £950 (so it's saved you £10 in tax if you're a basic rate payer).

This is assuming that the income is taxable and being reported to HMRC of course (i.e. it is earnings above the personal tax threshold).
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 20th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 7,115 Posts
    • 11,908 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    Do you have unlimited free calls? If not do you ever exceed your free minutes/talk time.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

636Posts Today

6,360Users online

Martin's Twitter