Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 20th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 12,514Posts
    • 5,166Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Don't you just hate folks that scratch and run??
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    Don't you just hate folks that scratch and run?? 20th Mar 17 at 1:57 PM
    To explain, was at the docs today, big car park with surgery and chemist on site.

As I parked up I watched this old guy scrape the bumper of a car he was trying to park next to.
    Other half got out, told him he'd hit it so he reversed back and drove back in.
    She went into docs and he sat there in the car.

I took all details, went to chemists and got sorted, asked if they knew the owner? NO.
    Had to go to Docs, asked if they knew the owner,(this car was parked in a doctors slot). The receptionist emailed all staff but this is a big NHS unit and may not have got to the vehicle owner.

Can I trace the owners from the reg numbers I have and put the offended in touch with the offender?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    If you've left details of the guilty party with the chemist and the surgery, you've done all you can. If the owner notices the damage when they return, and assuming no details were left for them on the car, they're likely to ask at the chemist's or at the surgery.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 9,239 Posts
    • 6,240 Thanks
    neilmcl
    How do you know that the guy didn't put a note on the other car to say he'd hit it and if he didn't, why didn't you?

You have no way of tracking a vehicle owner from the car reg so there's nothing to be done now.
    • stator
    • By stator 20th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    stator
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    Also inform the police.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 10,717 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    Also inform the police.
    Originally posted by stator
    How is this a Police matter?
    • facade
    • By facade 20th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    facade
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    Causing damage to a parked car and then scarpering without attempting to leave your details with anyone who could reasonably require them, usually the owner, is. (And if there is no-one who fits the bill, not then reporting the accident to the police within 24 hours is)

Assuming that this is what happened of course....
    Last edited by facade; 20-03-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 20th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 10,717 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    Causing damage to a parked car and then scarpering without attempting to leave your details with anyone who could reasonably require them, usually the owner, is. (And if there is no-one who fits the bill, not then reporting the accident to the police within 24 hours is)

Assuming that this is what happened of course....
    Originally posted by facade
    The original post included "As I parked up I watched this old guy scrape the bumper of a car he was trying to park next to.
    She went into docs and he sat there in the car."

I didn't notice the running off.
    • stator
    • By stator 20th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    stator
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    The original post included "As I parked up I watched this old guy scrape the bumper of a car he was trying to park next to.
    She went into docs and he sat there in the car."

I didn't notice the running off.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    It may have been delayed, but waiting and then leaving without contacting the owner is the same as leaving immediately without contacting the owner
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    It may have been delayed, but waiting and then leaving without contacting the owner is the same as leaving immediately without contacting the owner
    Legally it's not, he stopped and there was no one there, so he'd only commit the offence of failing to report (if he hasn't) not failing to stop.
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 20th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    ukmike
    You have no way of tracking a vehicle owner from the car reg so there's nothing to be done now.
    Yes there is,use the Askmid website. http://www.askmid.com/
    • facade
    • By facade 20th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    facade
    Legally it's not, he stopped and there was no one there, so he'd only commit the offence of failing to report (if he hasn't) not failing to stop.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

But it is still a police matter if the driver neither gave his details to the owner of the car he damaged, nor reported it to the police within 24 hours.

However, neither us, nor the OP know whether he did or not as we weren't there, and the OP did not watch him for 24 hours, only a few minutes.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 20th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Notice on the window of a pranged car:

"The people watching me write this note all think I'm leaving my name and address, but we know differently, don't we."
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 20th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Yes there is,use the Askmid website. http://www.askmid.com/
    Originally posted by ukmike
    Which bit of

To use this service you must:
    Be insured and on the Motor Insurance Database (MID)
    Be resident in the UK and entitled to compensation in respect of loss or injury pursuant to the Motor Vehicles (Compulsory Insurance) (Information Centre and Compensation Body) Regulations 2003 (as amended)
    Be entitled to receive the relevant information and understand that it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information (s55 of the Data Protection Act 1998)
    Agree to adhere to full Terms of Use
    Gives the op the right to use Askmid? Or do they just lie?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 9,239 Posts
    • 6,240 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Also inform the police.
    Personally I'd rather the police be doing other things.
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 20th Mar 17, 11:38 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Rubbish.

Fill in a V888 form, explaining why you need the information and DVLA will provide it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle
    Philip
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 21st Mar 17, 5:16 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Personally I'd rather the police be doing other things.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I suspect not if it was your motor that got pranged!
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 21st Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 534 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    diamond dave
    Nothing riles me more than people who do this. Out on the bike yesterday, I heard a bang behind me and saw this guy in a huge Peugeot clip the wing mirror of a parked car, then drive on! Got his number but on inspecting the car realised that it was the chrome wing mirror shroud from his own car that he'd knocked off. Couldn't see any damage to the car - in fact I'm not sure which car he hit. Anway, I just hope thatt it costs him a packet to replace the item.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 21st Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    glentoran99
    How is this a Police matter?
    Originally posted by DUTR

If you dontt leave your details at the scene of the accident, then you are required to report the incident either to a police officer or in person at a police station. You must do this as soon as you can, and within 24 hours of the incident.
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 21st Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    ukmike
    Gives the op the right to use Askmid? Or do they just lie?
    I never said the OP does it,he leaves a note on the car with the reg of the car that did the damage so that the damaged car owner uses the Askmid site.Got it know?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 21st Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 17,856 Posts
    • 40,661 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Was there actually any damage to the car? Just rubbing bumpers doesn't necessarily mean there was.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,062Posts Today

8,016Users online

Martin's Twitter