Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 20th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 11Thanks
    rentmekid
    Why do tenants have so many rights
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    Why do tenants have so many rights 20th Mar 17 at 2:33 PM
    Hi there,

I am thinking about becoming a landlord for the first time and one of the main issues that is concerning me is the control that tenants can have over their landlords.

From many posts that I have read, on this forum and others, it seems like tenants can move into a property, look for loopholes, problems, etc, and then decide not to pay their rent, which can often take months for the landlord to evict.

If I was stop paying mortgage payments to my own house, the bank would be breathing right down my neck.

How can this be possible? and when the landlord goes chasing for the money, he can be accused of not allowing the tenant to enjoy his home in peace.

Just because the tenant is paying rent, doesn't mean he owns the house. Surely there must be more rights for the landlord

For example, if I was to hire a car, my deposit wouldn't protected and I'm fairly sure I wouldn't think the car is mine.

Can anyone give me their opinions?
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    My opinion is that you probably shouldn't become a landlord.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 20th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    jondav
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    Hi there,

I am thinking about becoming a landlord
    Originally posted by rentmekid
    My advice would be don't, just don't.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 20th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 4,929 Posts
    • 4,515 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    If I was stop paying mortgage payments to my own house, the bank would be breathing right down my neck.
    In my experience mortgage repossessions are an even slower process - I've dealt with them professionally and it was often about a year from the first default to eviction.
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 20th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rentmekid
    why to both?
    • boliston
    • By boliston 20th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    boliston
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    i dont think you can compare car hire with renting a home - everybody needs a home unless they love sleeping in a shop doorway but hiring a car is not so essential
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 20th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 8,428 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    Businesses have business issues. Businesses have non paying customers. Businesses need things in place to cover themselves if that happens. Businesses need contingency plans.

Having a rental property is a business.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 20th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 15,205 Posts
    • 38,196 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    I think it is right that tenants should have many rights. They pay -a lot- for a service and should be entitled to get what they are paying for.

However, I agree that some rights have gone too far, and unfortunately, ends up having the opposite effect than intended as landlords are raising their expectations leaving many prospective tenants out of a chance of a good property.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 20th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 2,503 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    You have got some of this wrong. When a tenant pays rent they own the living space in the house and garden. You cannot interfere with this right because that is what they are paying your for.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    Penitent
    why to both?
    Because someone who thinks that a group of people have too many rights is not well suited to providing a product or service to those people.

It would be like someone who thinks gay people shouldn't have the right to marry becoming a gay wedding planner. It's just not going to end well for either side.
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 20th Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rentmekid
    boliston, I think the principle is the same even if you don't agree.

on a similar note, everyone needs food, but I don't think you can walk into a restaurant, eat as much as you want and then decide you are not going to pay.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 20th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    csgohan4
    on the flip side, you have the right to only offer 6 months and ask them to leave, or ask them to leave with a valid Section 21 thereby disrupting their own life for your gains/ whim.

Or you can only do the bare minimum renovation and not bother with other repairs and be a bad LL but still be in the confines of housing law.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • elverson
    • By elverson 20th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    elverson
    If all landlords were perfect then tenants wouldn't need any protection, but sadly that isn't the case.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 20th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 15,205 Posts
    • 38,196 Thanks
    FBaby
    When a tenant pays rent they own the living space in the house and garden. You cannot interfere with this right because that is what they are paying your for.
    They do so under the terms of a contract which can't be ignored either regardless of them 'owing' the space they live in.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Why do tenants have so many rights?

Because housing is really important. Having a place to live is a fundamental human right and somebody who sets themselves up to provide that in exchange for money is in a position of huge responsibility.

We can't have a situation where people could find themselves homeless will nilly on a landlord's whim, or where it becomes impossible for lots of people to even find a place to live in the first place.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 20th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 4,740 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    boliston, I think the principle is the same even if you don't agree.

on a similar note, everyone needs food, but I don't think you can walk into a restaurant, eat as much as you want and then decide you are not going to pay.
    You can however order your food and if it is not up to an edible standard refuse to pay either all or some of the bill.

I have had good and bad landlords in the past, one hated spending any money on property maintenance, however I was paying for the right to live in a decent home. We once had a fault with the boiler which couldn't pump hot water upstairs leaving us unable to bath or shower and we had to either boil a kettle of water or wash downstairs and shower in relatives homes. He was so busy trying to get a cheap plumber because his usual cheap cowboy was on holidays that it went on for almost two weeks until I gave him notice that if he didn't get it fixed within 24 hours I would hire my own plumber and deduct the cost from the rent. He finally got someone to sort it the next day.

Do you think it was unreasonable of me to threaten to withhold rent in that situation?
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 20th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rentmekid
    ok, but shouldn't it be a case of no rent no stay?

I have been watching nightmare tenants recently and the way some of these tenants are, its absolutely disgusting. just saying.
    • stator
    • By stator 20th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 5,481 Posts
    • 3,475 Thanks
    stator
    Because being homeless SUCKS

And tenants don't have many rights actually. Most live with only a month's notice hanging over their heads
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 20th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 15,205 Posts
    • 38,196 Thanks
    FBaby
    Do you think it was unreasonable of me to threaten to withhold rent in that situation?
    Personally? Yes, I think you were. To be a bit annoyed at the delay as clearly inconvenienced, fair enough, but to think it gave you the right to withhold rent for something that most home owners would accept? Yes, unreasonable.
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 20th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rentmekid
    ok, so being homeless means you don't need to pay your rent???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,543Posts Today

7,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @fistrat: @MartinSLewis cash in hand = no invoice = no proof of work = stuffed when quality is shoddy!

• Today's twitter poll: If a builder/cleaner/plumber etc asked you for money 'cash in hand for a discount if you know what I mean' would you

• RT @katieolivia92: .@Conservatives manifesto pledge to cap energy prices confirmed. Here's what @MartinSLewis said at the weekend. https://?

• Follow Martin