Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thelivingend
    • By thelivingend 20th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    thelivingend
    Mis-sold a tablet contract with EE
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    Mis-sold a tablet contract with EE 20th Mar 17 at 2:12 PM
    So last year I went into an EE shop to buy a new phone. I was under contract with them at the time, and had a year left of a 2 year deal. The girl serving me told me that I was paying a lot for my current set up and offered me two tablets for free, so that I was getting a better deal overall.

I was paying around 40 a month (due to data)- the 2 tablets were supposed to give me better value for money, with no extra charge to my existing phone bill. I distinctly asked whether the contracts for the tablets would end at the same time as the phone, and she said, " yes".

So essentially she lied and yes, I should have checked the details of the contract more thoroughly.

I spoke to them on the phone and they just said that I had a 24 month contract.

Is there anything I can do from here? I'm essentially paying 26 a month for something I don't use.
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    So last year I went into an EE shop to buy a new phone. I was under contract with them at the time, and had a year left of a 2 year deal. The girl serving me told me that I was paying a lot for my current set up and offered me two tablets for free, so that I was getting a better deal overall.

I was paying around 40 a month (due to data)- the 2 tablets were supposed to give me better value for money, with no extra charge to my existing phone bill. I distinctly asked whether the contracts for the tablets would end at the same time as the phone, and she said, " yes".

So essentially she lied and yes, I should have checked the details of the contract more thoroughly.

I spoke to them on the phone and they just said that I had a 24 month contract.

Is there anything I can do from here? I'm essentially paying 26 a month for something I don't use.
    Originally posted by thelivingend
    What did the contract in the shop that you signed say?
    • thelivingend
    • By thelivingend 20th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thelivingend
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    I have the contract with me- the '24 months' minimum term box is ticked.

My basic understanding was that I would be contracted until my phone contracted ending- which she said was the case.

Trouble is I have no solid evidence of this.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    Did you not read the 24 minimum term bit when you signed?

You can try complaining to EE directly but it will be hard to prove when its word of mouth...
    • thelivingend
    • By thelivingend 20th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thelivingend
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    I'm sure i did but I'm guessing there was confusion about how it tied in with my existing contract.

There was no way I'd have signed a 2 year contract for the tablets with full knowledge.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Unfortunately it looks like you are a bit stuck then as you have signed a document that stated the contract term is 24 months.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 18,499 Posts
    • 8,727 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    I should have checked the details of the contract more thoroughly.
    Originally posted by thelivingend
    Indeed you should. You have nothing to prove that you were told otherwise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin