Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arte
    • By arte 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 95Posts
    • 6Thanks
    arte
    Advice on dispute with ex-flatmate on a joint tenancy.
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    Advice on dispute with ex-flatmate on a joint tenancy. 20th Mar 17 at 1:30 PM
    Hello

I've recently ended my contract on a joint tenancy. The reason of giving notice being ongoing issues with my flatmate. We were on joint tenancy and he has now taken over the lease by himself.

He has been a nightmare all through the end of my tenancy and has demanded for me to provide a professional cleaning and carpet cleaning of the rooms I've been using. Our contract with the estate agent said that this kind of cleaning has to be provided if the property is vacated as an end of tenancy, even the estate agent has explained him that this was not required in our case as he is simply taking over the place. But he is obviously behaving like that as a sort of personal revenge.

Being a gentleman though and because I didn't want to hear him anymore I organised the cleaning of the rooms and purchased a carpet cleaning but this last one had to be postponed to a date after me leaving the property as we had decorator repainting the hallway.

Now my flatmate is saying he is too busy with work to take care of that and that's my responsibility to organise the cleaning and made sure it gets done even if I don't leave there anymore and despite in the end I did all of this as a good gesture and not because I had to.

My question is which obligations if any I have in this situation. Can he use that against my part of the deposit with the estate agent?

Please advice

Thanks
    Last edited by arte; 20-03-2017 at 5:09 PM.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 20th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 10,170 Posts
    • 12,017 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    When you left the tenancy was a new tenancy created with your ex housemate?

What is happening (has happened) with your deposit?

When one person ends a joint tenancy then this ends the tenancy for the other person. So, I disagree with the estate agent. When you left there should have been a check out arranged with both of you liable for any costs as regards cleaning etc. and the deposit returned after 'costs' were deducted. Then your ex housemate would have started their new tenancy with a 'clean slate' and given a new deposit.

Unfortunately many LLs and LAs do not do this correctly and assign the tenancy to the new tenant.

So, the first question is, did you leave giving the correct notice or were you able to surrender your tenancy?
    • arte
    • By arte 20th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    arte
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    When I left the tenancy my ex housemate just took over the lease, the letting agency has not been very professional on that I know. They just took it the easy way simply confirming he was going to take over and pay the full rent and my part of the deposit. They accepted my notice and just went from there.

My deposit is still in the TDS as my tenancy ended less than 10 days ago. The letting agent seemed to be satisfied with everything, but I don't want to risk my ex-housemate to create me problem with them.

My question was if he can demand I take responsibility of being there for the carpet cleaning and if he could use that against me. I purchased the cleaning and showed the letting agent proof of that. I offered to book it for a day when my ex housemate or someone else could be at the property, but he's been unreasonable and asking for me to take care of that as he's too busy.

When you left the tenancy was a new tenancy created with your ex housemate?

What is happening (has happened) with your deposit?

When one person ends a joint tenancy then this ends the tenancy for the other person. So, I disagree with the estate agent. When you left there should have been a check out arranged with both of you liable for any costs as regards cleaning etc. and the deposit returned after 'costs' were deducted. Then your ex housemate would have started their new tenancy with a 'clean slate' and given a new deposit.

Unfortunately many LLs and LAs do not do this correctly and assign the tenancy to the new tenant.

So, the first question is, did you leave giving the correct notice or were you able to surrender your tenancy?
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

6,210Users online

Martin's Twitter