Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BatchedMetting
    • By BatchedMetting 20th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 6Thanks
    BatchedMetting
    Disposable income rating?
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    Disposable income rating? 20th Mar 17 at 1:25 PM
    I'm just looking at my rating/score through the MSE Credit Club (my Experian score is 830 out of 999 Fair) and under my 'Disposable income' rating it says:

Sadly, itís likely youíve little free cash, so lenders probably think you canít afford to borrow much more.

How do they know this? Can they see in my bank accounts and see where the money is going?

Thanks
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 29,729 Posts
    • 18,824 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    I'm just looking at my rating/score through the MSE Credit Club (my Experian score is 830 out of 999 Fair) and under my 'Disposable income' rating it says:

Sadly, itís likely youíve little free cash, so lenders probably think you canít afford to borrow much more.

How do they know this? Can they see in my bank accounts and see where the money is going?

Thanks
    Originally posted by BatchedMetting
    Well Experian or any of the credit rating agencies can see if your in debt with your bank.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • BatchedMetting
    • By BatchedMetting 20th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    BatchedMetting
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    Thanks. Yes, I am!
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 20th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:09 PM

Sadly, it’s likely you’ve little free cash, so lenders probably think you can’t afford to borrow much more.

Thanks
    Originally posted by BatchedMetting
    "Disposable Income" is actually an outmoded concept but most likely a good selling point for MSE and Experian. Still referred to though in for example government office of national statistics reports.

Strictly speaking it's the amount left over after all your bills have been paid. Going back into the mists of time it used to be a third of what was left over. In short "spare money". Lenders are said to compare your income with your outgoings and that determines your disposable income which in turn governs how much you can pay without missing any payments. They get that information from your application and from your credit history.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 20-03-2017 at 4:12 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

37Posts Today

3,786Users online

Martin's Twitter