Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wenger08
    • By wenger08 20th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 18Thanks
    wenger08
    win 7 pro PC keep getting bluescreen restart or shut down?!
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    win 7 pro PC keep getting bluescreen restart or shut down?! 20th Mar 17 at 12:45 PM
    Hi, I have a zoomstrorm E6300 2.8ghz, 4gb ram PC running win 7 pro with SP1. Motherboard is foxconn G31MX-K.

Today it auto restarted, I rebooted, got a blue screen and another auto restart.

I tried F8, last known good configuration....blue screen again

I opened up case, lots of dust, cleaned fans, heatsink unit, put it all back together and logged into windows and it just powered off after a few minutes

Now it keeps letting me back into windows, I login, don't touch or open any programs and it just turns off after a few minutes or gives me a blue screen and restarts (more turning off than restarting though now to be honest)

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm not sure if it's hardware or software to be honest?!
Page 1
    • bsod
    • By bsod 20th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    bsod
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    contents of blue screen?

safe mode or reinstall
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    Are the internal fans still spinning since you had it open ?
    Particularly the one on top of the heat sinc on the CPU ...

If you start in safe mode, and leave it sat there for a minute, does it still turn off ?

What does the text on the blue screen say ? Not all of it, just the bit below the "stop" part
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 20th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    Is it possible that you broke the thermal connection between heatsink and a component ? It does sound a bit like an overheating problem, though I'd interpret blue screen as more of a software issue. Is the fan running ?

Someone posted a week or two back a diagnostic app that can show the internal temperatures. You could try launching that as soon as it has booted, to see what the temperatures are doing.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 20th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 5,009 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    Someone posted a week or two back a diagnostic app that can show the internal temperatures. You could try launching that as soon as it has booted, to see what the temperatures are doing.
    Originally posted by psychic teabag
    Maybe this was CoreTemp?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    On a similar note, I've used RealTemp in the past.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wenger08
    • By wenger08 20th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    wenger08
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    Blue screen error message is:
    STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000016, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x83876AE8)

Computer has been running in safe mode for 50 minutes without turning off or giving any bluescreen

All fans are spinning, in PSU, back of PC and the fan that sits over heatsink module and GPU
    I have not tried to run the core temp program in safe mode yet.
    • wenger08
    • By wenger08 20th Mar 17, 2:39 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    wenger08
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:39 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:39 PM
    Is it possible that you broke the thermal connection between heatsink and a component ? It does sound a bit like an overheating problem, though I'd interpret blue screen as more of a software issue. Is the fan running ?

Originally posted by psychic teabag
    I'm not sure what the thermal connection is, could you explain what I should be looking for please?
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 20th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    I'm not sure what the thermal connection is, could you explain what I should be looking for please?
    Originally posted by wenger08
    I just meant that there's usually some paste between component and heatsink, to ensure good thermal conductivity. If you were to detach the heatsink, then just put it back on without new paste, you might not have sufficient heat transfer.
    • chunter
    • By chunter 20th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    chunter
    I have two pcs doing the same this day. I had put it down to an electricity fluctuation problem, but I've since attached a surge protector, changed the pcs physical location, reset the RAM, run boot time antivirus and disk scans, unplugged the internet...
    damned if I can figure it out.
    also getting phone calls from people in the same area having similar problems.

What gets me is that the two are not crashing at the same time.
    and a third pc has not crashed at all this day.

I blame trump.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Blue screen error message is:
    STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000016, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x83876AE8)
    Originally posted by wenger08

There should be a bit of English around there somewhere , maybe just after, that will indicate where the problem lies .. Can you find it ??

If you're running fine in safe mode then it not going to be a heat/hardware issue but more likely drivers
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 16,996 Posts
    • 11,178 Thanks
    molerat
    Avast ?
    Just had a W7 laptop doing it, narrowed it down to avast. Restored to previous date all ok. Installed windows updates individually all ok. Last windows update installed new version of avast on reboot and blue screened. Removed avast no problems. Installed clean version and blue screened immediately.

My W7 laptop with Avast running fine !

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=199176.0

Seems to be a 32 bit issue only. Fix expected later today. Temp fix disable file shield.
    Last edited by molerat; 20-03-2017 at 3:37 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • chunter
    • By chunter 20th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    chunter
    Yes. it is Avast !!!! Same thing - did a system restore and used the avast removal tool after that to clear it completely.
    I'll leave it off for a couple of days and let Avast sort out the mess.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 20th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Avast ?
    Just had a W7 laptop doing it, narrowed it down to avast. Restored to previous date all ok. Installed windows updates individually all ok. Last windows update installed new version of avast on reboot and blue screened. Removed avast no problems. Installed clean version and blue screened immediately.

My W7 laptop with Avast running fine !
    Originally posted by molerat
    Looks like it
    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=199156.0
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 16,996 Posts
    • 11,178 Thanks
    molerat
    New definitions out now - seems stable.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

739Posts Today

6,579Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin