Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulT
    • By paulT 20th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 8Thanks
    paulT
    Parking Collection Services / Secure a Space Ltd
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    Parking Collection Services / Secure a Space Ltd 20th Mar 17 at 12:26 PM
    Good afternoon all.
    My vehicle received a windscreen ticket 07/02 from Secure a Space. I waited 26 days and sent the template as advised in the Newbies thread to Secure a Space as keeper.
    18/3 received a letter from Parking Collection Services stating Notice to Keeper including all details as per the Secure a Space reference number.

Also states that I have lost the opportunity to pay as 28 days since issue has passed.

Also states they have got my details from DVLA

I have not received any reply to my template email to Secure a Space - therefore do not have a POPLA reference

Questions are please:

Are they just a Credit Company scamming to try to get me to pay?
    Are they legally allowed to state that they have got my details from DVLA?
    Are they actually members of BPA?

Any advice is extremely appreciative - Newbies thread is brill but doesn't appear to cover PCS

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 20th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 39,736 Posts
    • 79,522 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    They are BPA members and can lawfully obtain keeper details.

You should complain to both the BPA and DVLA that your appeal has been ignored and you have not received a PoPLA code. Do not contact the scammers until you get one.

How did you send the appeal? Did you keep proof of sending?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • paulT
    • By paulT 20th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    paulT
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    Many thanks - hopefully I have covered myself as I received the email below 5/3 after receiving the ticket 7/2. What I didn't do was reply with all the info they requested - just my address (as keeper) and the Parking Charge Number. Should I just wait for the NTK from Secure a Space - or rejection of appeal with POPLA reference, or wait a certain period and request why I haven't been issued a POPLA reference please?

On Sunday, 5 March 2017, 14:13, Secure A Space <appeals@secureaspace.co.uk> wrote:

Thank you for submitting your appeal. Please take this message as confirmation of receipt and, providing all details mentioned below have been included, your Parking Charge Notice will be placed on hold whilst we process your appeal. It may take up to 35 days to issue our appeal response, however should you not have heard anything within 28 days please contact us.

When submitting your appeal please check you have included the following:

* Parking Charge Number

* Vehicle Registration

* Driver Name

* Driver Address

* Reason for the appeal, including any evidence that you wish to be considered with your appeal

In exceptional circumstances, an appeal may be accepted on behalf of the driver. Please ensure you provide reasons why you are appealing on behalf of the driver and their contact details as above.

If an appeal has been submitted with any of these details not included, you may be contacted to request any outstanding information, however it is the appellant's responsibility to ensure that they have included all details they wish to be considered with their appeal. Should driver name and address not be provided, this may cause a delay in your appeal being processed. We reserve the right to follow legislation called POFA 2012 to obtain Keeper details from DVLA and issue a Notice To Keeper if you choose to withhold the driver's details with your appeal. If you have omitted any of the above details, please RESUBMIT your appeal including all requested information where possible.

Kind regards,

Secure A Space Ltd

Hubbard Way, 2 Civic Drive, Ipswich, IP1 2QA

Tel: 01473 353383

Registered in England and Wales: 9301673
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 20th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 39,736 Posts
    • 79,522 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong.

A windscreen ticket appeared on a car on 7th Feb.
    The day to day keeper appealed on or around 5th March (day 26)
    A confirmation that the appeal had been received arrived on the 5th March,
    A NTK was received on 18/3, but no PoPLA code yet.

It looks to me that the scammers ignored your appeal as day to day keeper and then sent an NTK because you didn't fall into their trap of them asking for the driver's details.

I think you have two choices.
    Either complain to the BPA that the appeal by the day to day keeper has been ignored and no PoPLA code provided,

or, construct a PoPLA appeal and respond to the NTK.

I suggest you wait for the more experienced regulars to advise, but I would complain to the BPA whatever happens if the PPC is trying to use the POFA 2012 as it allows the day to day keeper to appeal if they wish.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • paulT
    • By paulT 20th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    paulT
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    Many thanks for your reply,

I really could do with the advice as you suggested. Everything you stated is what happened. If they have ignored my appeal and not issued a POPLA reference I don't think I can go to POPLA with an appeal. I'm not sure if the PCS NTK is fully conformant with the PoFA, but will need one of the Forum's experts to advise. An exact replica can bee seen as a pdf file on: forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=110756 with the hxxp:// bit on the front.
    The PCS letter appears to indicate that they are a debt collection service, so should I actually be having any dialogue with them?

I have digested the Newbies - and carried out everything in accordance to its advice - I just need to get everything in place to beat these guys and set a template for anyone else in future suffering from this.

Also what is the point of complaining to BPA that they have not issued a POPLA reference - will this not remind PCS that Secure a Space Ltd. haven't replied with the code and for them to issue one within the timelines - in fact are there guidelines / rules as to how long Secure a Space have to reply to an appeal please?

Thanks again and look forward to receiving any advice
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    • 48,233 Posts
    • 61,704 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    The PCS letter appears to indicate that they are a debt collection service, so should I actually be having any dialogue with them?
    You have to contact whoever handles the appeals (they do the back office stuff 'for' Secure a Space, such as getting DVLA data and issuing NTKs). The NTK is not POFA Compliant:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=45747

Final Paragraph misleads the true picture: 'after a period of 28 days of this notice' does not match the mandatory period of 28 days beginning with the day after the date of service of the NTK (= the mandatory period is several days later than PCS are stating).

Also what is the point of complaining to BPA that they have not issued a POPLA reference - will this not remind PCS that Secure a Space Ltd. haven't replied with the code and for them to issue one within the timelines - in fact are there guidelines / rules as to how long Secure a Space have to reply to an appeal please?
    1. To add another complaint to the nails in the coffin of any parking firm.
    2. To either get it cancelled when the BPA sniff around, or to get that POPLA code so you can win.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• paulT
    • By paulT 21st Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    paulT
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    Many thanks again!

Even though the option to appeal appears to have passed (as per the PCS NTK) I have appealed to PCS using their online appeals process stating:

I am repeating the appeal I sent to Secure a Space in order to obtain a POPLA code which, in accordance with BPA code of Professional Conduct, I should have been sent:

I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car. ..... Blue template from Newbies etc

I have also sent the following to BPA:

Complaint with regards to Secure a Space and Parking Collection Services:

I wish to report that both companies are not complying with your Code of Professional Conduct in that the correct process is not being followed. My appeal to an issued Windscreen Penalty was sent to Secure a Space on 5th March; it has been acknowledged but then totally ignored - and that PCS have now sent me a Notice To Keeper stating that the 28 days to appeal has run out and that they are aggressively harassing me for full payment. Neither company has provided a POPLA reference in order for me to appeal. That these Companies are allowed to contact DVLA and obtain my details as vehicle keeper is surely illegal and that the Data Protection Act has been breached. Their aggressive business practice and unwarranted threat of recovery of an unjustified penalty, by a Debt Recovery company, for the ordinary matter of a driver using my car without causing any obstruction nor offence, has caused significant distress to me.
    I expect a standard response from you in that you will state you cannot investigate individual penalty notices; however this is about processes not being correctly followed and you Code of Professional Conduct not being adhered to.

I look forward to your response.

Regards

Is there anything else I can do - or do I now sit it out and wait for a response?
    • paulT
    • By paulT 11th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    paulT
    • 11th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    • 11th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    Good afternoon all.

I have now received a quite detailed response from Secure a Space with the natural rejection. Bearing in mind the keeper does not live in London, it is very difficult to get to the site to gather evidence. SaS have stated they have photographic evidence of the vehicle in very close proximity to the sign saying that anyone parked in a 'white' paint marked bay (the carpark apparently has colour coded bays) needed to display a P & D permit.

They have now issued a POPLA code.

Am I able to appeal to POPLA with the single point that the NtK was non compliant and that I am not legally obliged to name the driver please?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    • 48,233 Posts
    • 61,704 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 11th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    • 11th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    Am I able to appeal to POPLA with the single point that the NtK was non compliant and that I am not legally obliged to name the driver please?
    We would NEVER advise that. No single point POPLA appeals. You don't need to gather evidence either, the appeal points are already written for you and need no evidence added.

Use all the template POPLA points that are also relevant, as set out in the NEWBIES thread post #3.

...and stop believing what SaS said in the rejection letter, about signs. Everyone must attack the signs, and no landowner authority, and the NTK, and the fact the appellant hasn't been shown to be the individual liable (driver).
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• paulT
    • By paulT 15th May 17, 11:07 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    paulT
    Many thanks all for your excellent advice. I appealed to POPLA using the information on this board: Signs, non compliant POFA etc in a very long winded PDF. Also sent photos of the carpark with very sparse signage.

RESULT:

Dear xxxx

Thank you for submitting your parking charge Appeal to POPLA.

An Appeal has been opened with the reference 731100xxxx.

Secure-a-space have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal. This means that your Appeal is successful and you do not need to pay the parking charge.

Yours sincerely

POPLA Team
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,675Posts Today

8,182Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin