Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,179Posts
    • 1,430Thanks
    shortcrust
    What's the wet 'paint' on my damp cellar walls?
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    What's the wet 'paint' on my damp cellar walls? 20th Mar 17 at 11:20 AM
    The cellar in my Victoria terrace has a wall which is damp to the touch (really common round here). The brickwork has been painted but the white 'paint' is wet and sticky. It can be easily scraped off (or even sponged off!) and leaves a putty like substance that smells a bit mouldy. I think it's been there for years. Anyone know what it might be? Some attempt at damp proofing? Just paint?! I've got an urge to scrape the whole lot off as I've an inkling that the stuff is holding the moisture on the wall. Would exposed bricks be better? The brickwork is in reasonable condition considering. The cellar is fairly well ventilated and cardboard boxes stored down there from before I moved in don't seem to be suffering ill effects.

I might get the whole lot tanked at some point but that's for the future.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 20-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 20th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 11,989 Posts
    • 16,102 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    I paint mine with limewash. It is very permeable so doesn't hold in moisture. It can be sponged off like you describe.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    I paint mine with limewash. It is very permeable so doesn't hold in moisture. It can be sponged off like you describe.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I wondered about limewash but didn't think it would be a sticky layer. I suppose the fact that it feels wet means that it's allowing the moisture through.
    • London50
    • By London50 20th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    London50
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    It COULD be Soft Distemper on the walls, that would feel sticky/putty like if the damp is coming through
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    It COULD be Soft Distemper on the walls, that would feel sticky/putty like if the damp is coming through
    Originally posted by London50
    A quick google makes me think you might be right. I guess it's not going any harm but is there any advantage having it there rather than bare brick? It's a bit grotty!
    • London50
    • By London50 20th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    London50
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    A quick google makes me think you might be right. I guess it's not going any harm but is there any advantage having it there rather than bare brick? It's a bit grotty!
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I would not think so, as long as you are happy with the look/feel after all it is just the same as decorating with modern materials and personal choice
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    I would not think so, as long as you are happy with the look/feel after all it is just the same as decorating with modern materials and personal choice
    I might scrape the lot off. I think damp bare brick is a step up from sticky dirty white brick!
    • London50
    • By London50 20th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    London50
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    I might scrape the lot off. I think damp bare brick is a step up from sticky dirty white brick!
    I can understand how you feel, I remember back in 1940's/50's when distemper was the "new" must have product for the masses the builders merchants I worked for back then sold large amounts weekly but times change along with tastes.
    As you say bare brick should look far better
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    I can understand how you feel, I remember back in 1940's/50's when distemper was the "new" must have product for the masses the builders merchants I worked for back then sold large amounts weekly but times change along with tastes.
    As you say bare brick should look far better
    I think it might be a satisfying job too! I did a few bricks last night and now they feel much drier than the painted ones.

Thanks for the info.
    • London50
    • By London50 20th Mar 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    London50
    I think it might be a satisfying job too! I did a few bricks last night and now they feel much drier than the painted ones.

Thanks for the info.
    No problem, glad I could help
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 20th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    FreeBear
    I remember back in 1940's/50's when distemper was the "new" must have product for the masses
    Distemper (in one form or another) has been around since the Egyptian times... Hardly a "new" product. However, tastes change, and the old stuff has fallen out of fashion, only for it to creep back in. Natural paints and traditional colours are all the rage again (at inflated prices).
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • London50
    • By London50 21st Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    London50
    Distemper (in one form or another) has been around since the Egyptian times... Hardly a "new" product. However, tastes change, and the old stuff has fallen out of fashion, only for it to creep back in. Natural paints and traditional colours are all the rage again (at inflated prices).
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    When I stated "new" I meant it as the latest "fashion" not that it was a new product.
    • Cats are great
    • By Cats are great 27th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Cats are great
    If it has a putty like feel it could be standard vinyl emulsion, the putty effect could be the vinyl additive coming away.

You can get cellar paint which contains more fungicide than usual but they tend to have a pink caste to them.

Like you say stripping it back would probably be best as painting on the top of it wouldn't work as the new paint wouldn't adhere to it. Be mindful old paint could contain lead so a cheap lead testing kit could be a good buy.

Good luck
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,563Posts Today

7,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @jaihy: @MartinSLewis thank you! Like so many, I hadn't claimed ppi. During the last series I filled in the form...£2,700 cheque in the?

• Check if you're owed, totally free tool to help here... https://t.co/2Oto4B86tq https://t.co/vOpsYU6b3g

• Today's twitter poll: If they made a rule to standardise chips in the UK - which of these four (I only get 4 options) would u want it to be?

• Follow Martin