Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pinkycat1
    • By Pinkycat1 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Pinkycat1
    Council tax and moving home
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    Council tax and moving home 20th Mar 17 at 12:03 PM
    I currently get council tax benefit,ESA,DLA, Registered Blind.
    I hopefully have sold my house and going to buy a smaller property so I can live independently as the house I am in is too large.
    I am moving in with family until I find a suitable property hopefully short term.
    I am using the proceeds of sale to buy the property.
    When do I tell the council of change?
    With it only being temporary with the family member do I have to tell the relevant council? They are not on benefits and pay the council tax in full.
    Also, will I lose my benefits because I have this money or do they give time to buy another property?
Page 1
    • cattie
    • By cattie 20th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 7,743 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    cattie
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    I know if you have proceeds from a house sale, you have 6 months to secure yourself another property to buy before it affects any means tested benefits. So as DLA isn't means tested that doesn't get counted, but unsure about ESA & can't help re the council tax issues.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 20th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,873 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    If they're recieving council tax single persons discount then yes they need to know.

Otherwise, there's no harm in letting them know. Also, when you finally do get a house and tell them of the change, they will ask you where you lived in between, so either way, tell them.

You'll either prevent an overpayment or make things easier down the line.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    You won't lose your ESA because, as cattie says, the money from the sale of your house can be disregarded for 6 months so long as you are intending to use the money to purchase another property. Once that property has been purchased, any residue will be taken into account as capital. That would only affect your benefit if the residue was between £6k and £16k, and you receive Income Related benefit. If you are receiving Conts based benefit it has no effect, but on Income Related any residue in excess of £16k would end your entitlement to ESA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,994Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter