Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RachelHalley
    • By RachelHalley 20th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RachelHalley
    Just got a help to buy isa from Barclaycard can I close it and have a lifetime isa?
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    Just got a help to buy isa from Barclaycard can I close it and have a lifetime isa? 20th Mar 17 at 11:29 AM
    Hello

I'm a first time buyer. Thought I did all research and got myself a help to buy isa this month. I've already put in the 1200 needed thinking this would be the best option for me. However after hearing about this lifetime isa I'm truest stuck! Can I cancel the help to buy isa and get a lifetime one? An if so where would I get one from? Or am I best at staying in the help to buy isa? I'm so confused please someone help me.
Page 1
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 20th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    leslieknope
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/lifetime-isas-available-from-6-april-2017

"If you have a Help to Buy ISA, you can transfer those savings into your Lifetime ISA or you can continue to save into both – but you’ll only be able to use the bonus from one to buy your first home.

You can transfer the balance of your Help to Buy ISA into your Lifetime ISA at any time if the amount isn’t more than 4,000."

yes you can, but not all lenders are currently offering the LISA.
    CCCC #33: 42/240
    DFW: 4355/4405
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 20th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 6,295 Posts
    • 6,667 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    DO NOT cancel it. Transfer it.
    • PrettyFlower90
    • By PrettyFlower90 21st Mar 17, 1:00 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    PrettyFlower90
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:00 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:00 AM
    In my opinion, you really don't need to worry about this now. Only 1 lender has come out and said they will offer a cash LISA, and even then it's not until June at least. None of the big banks like TSB, Santander and few others will offer them. Only stocks and shares LISAs from a few so far.

So just keep your H2B ISA and monitor the rate as per usual.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,309Users online

Martin's Twitter