Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barnsley777
    • By barnsley777 20th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    barnsley777
    Third Party Not Responding
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    Third Party Not Responding 20th Mar 17 at 11:23 AM
    Hi,

So back in December at 8pm-ish I had an accident which was not my fault. I was in the 2nd lane on the motorway and there was a truck in the 3nd lane (out of 4 lanes). Both driving at 40mph because 1st lane was closed due to an accident (hence why I was in 2nd). Driving almost side by side for around a mile and suddenly I saw a flash behind me, so just as I looked at mirror I got clipped by the truck at side of me on the back end of the drivers side causing me to spin out in to 3rd lane before the same truck smashed in to drivers side door (I spun side ways on in to middle lane) causing me to then spin other way and almost go in to barriers next to first lane; luckily despite the shock I managed to hit breaks before the barrier. Luckily me and my girlfriend escaped with no real injuries, stiff neck for day or 2 but nothing worth claiming for, more hassle than it is worth. Swapped details with third party and witnesses who back me 100% as I did nothing wrong. Police were there too to speed removal of accident up, they said car was ok to drive home (No bumper, smashed glass, steering wheel wasn't aligned and something was catching tyre all way home; when I turned left it felt like I was on ice at times) so I drove it home and then it was wrote off in end, not sure how it was safe to drive at all.

Now the truck driver claims he never saw me but he was sorry and as expected, wouldn't admit liability. Called insurance as soon as possible and told them what happened and gave witness details and third party details. I left it a month waiting for witnesses to give their statement as well as insurers to sort stuff out. Started calling around 6 weeks ago to see if anything's happened, they said they offered 50/50, I said no way. Then the person on phone realised she had a witness statement and therefore sent it to third party, said give them a week or 2. I called back week after and they said third party not read it yet so give another week. So I did, rung back and then third party still haven't read it so my insurers said we've gave them a deadline for week after. Call, nothing. Deadline again and urgent response notice sent to third party. Call week after, nothing, say that they don't know why third party aren't responding as it is a straight forward case. Called last Monday 13th to ask again. Said third party aren't taking calls that day all of a sudden (which company doesn't take calls Mondays?) and told me to call Friday to finally sort my excess out so I called again; person on phone says I'll call third party now and then call you back. Never got that call back so I rung again today and they said they sent an email to third party and another deadline (heard that before) for 30th.

So my question is, is there a time frame for third party to reply. Surely 90 days is more than enough to respond to a claim. Witness statement pretty much states that truck turned in to me as I was minding my own business doing nothing wrong making the truck driver 100% at fault. Should I say I want to make a complaint or threaten with word court. Think I'm too soft just saying 'ok thanks' all time down phone and not getting anywhere. £650 excess is a lot and even though renewal isn't until back end of year, I would prefer it to be settled a lot sooner rather than later.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    When your insurance company said "third party aren't taking calls that day", do they mean the company that owns the truck or the company's insurance?

Your insurance company don't sound particularly effective. Yes, you do need to be firmer with them and insist that they chase this more thoroughly. What's "word court"? I'm not sure that threatening your own insurers with court action is going to help matters.
    • barnsley777
    • By barnsley777 20th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    barnsley777
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    Company's insurance apparently, I'm not really sure what they meant by that, whether they just wasn't handling with mine that day, maybe third party don't like Mondays. I heard of cases where complaining or asking insurers about the idea of going to court with the lack of cooperation from third party would speed up the process as neither party would like the idea of court, especially third party as they know they are liable and will have to pay out anyway. I don't know whether it would've been better going to third party to claim in first place rather than my own, I didn't really know there was an option as it was my first accident.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    The other party must be insured by The Boomtown Rats. Sounds like a fob-off to me, unless they were having software/IT issues that day and their systems were down.

I would email your insurers with a well-worded and clear email, giving an account of the process to date, and asking for an explanation for the delay.
    • barnsley777
    • By barnsley777 20th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    barnsley777
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    Thank you for the replies. I'll email and see what they say.
    • barnsley777
    • By barnsley777 20th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    barnsley777
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    Would it be a good idea to say that I feel as though they aren't doing enough to force the issue at this moment in time as they have been very lenient with their so called deadlines and not followed it up without me phoning up again and again. They say that they'll update me if they receive anything but they didn't even call when they received the 50/50 offer so I doubt that they'd even tell me if there was an update with the claim.
    • barnsley777
    • By barnsley777 20th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    barnsley777
    ^In my email which I haven't sent yet...
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    Would it be a good idea to say that I feel as though they aren't doing enough to force the issue at this moment in time as they have been very lenient with their so called deadlines and not followed it up without me phoning up again and again. They say that they'll update me if they receive anything but they didn't even call when they received the 50/50 offer so I doubt that they'd even tell me if there was an update with the claim.
    Originally posted by barnsley777
    Just dispassionately list the course of events as you understand them, with dates of the various events and phone calls. Tell them you don't consider you have received prompt communication or moves towards resolution and want to know the current situation and how and when they are going to proceed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,278Posts Today

7,065Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin