Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 20th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 29,370Posts
    • 54,832Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Refund could have been paid into wrong Bank Account
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    Refund could have been paid into wrong Bank Account 20th Mar 17 at 11:17 AM
    My husband is expecting a refund he is owed from returned goods. It has not appeared in his bank account and for various reasons he thinks it may have been paid into someone else's account by mistake.

We have e-mailed the person who is refunding, and are waiting to hear from him regarding details of what bank account it went into.

Meanwhile, what will happen if he has paid it into the wrong account? What are my husband's rights? Thanks.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 29,975 Posts
    • 18,980 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    Surely its up to the sender to resolve it, your husbamd shouldnt be doing the running round for something that isn't his fault.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 20th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    I think knowing the "various reasons" may be helpful in getting a meaningful reply.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 20th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 29,370 Posts
    • 54,832 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    I think knowing the "various reasons" may be helpful in getting a meaningful reply.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Mainly because it has not appeared in his account, and we were in the shop at the time the vendor was doing it online, so if it has not appeared, where is it? (date 9th March).
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,755 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    ...he thinks it may have been paid into someone else's account by mistake.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Unlikely.
    Refunds are done via cards, not by bank transfers, that excludes manual errors.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 20th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 29,370 Posts
    • 54,832 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    Unlikely.
    Refunds are done via cards, not by bank transfers, that excludes manual errors.
    Originally posted by grumbler
    He did it via a bank transfer.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 20-03-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 20th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account

what may affect the resolution is whether you inadvertently gave the wrong account details to the retailer, or gave them the correct ones which they then entered in wrong.

Although in either case it's going to have to be the retailer who chases this up, as it's their account the money went out of, you have more chance of getting the retailer to re-send to the correct account in the interim if it was their error to begin with.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    • 17,015 Posts
    • 11,194 Thanks
    molerat
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    Where did they get the account details from ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 20th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 29,370 Posts
    • 54,832 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    Where did they get the account details from ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    My husband gave them his debit card, and also a piece of paper with details written on correctly (I know this as we checked it together).
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 20th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 29,370 Posts
    • 54,832 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Thanks, the link to the article was very helpful
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 20th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    Anthorn
    My husband is expecting a refund he is owed from returned goods. It has not appeared in his bank account and for various reasons he thinks it may have been paid into someone else's account by mistake.

We have e-mailed the person who is refunding, and are waiting to hear from him regarding details of what bank account it went into.

Meanwhile, what will happen if he has paid it into the wrong account? What are my husband's rights? Thanks.
    If it was their fault they make it good. But that depends on whether it was reported to them in good time. Just wondering and doing nothing about it probably means you have not reported it in good time.

If it's your fault by passing on to the payer the wrong bank details then it's a case of Caveat Emptor. The payer or the paying bank or the receiving bank might be able to help but don't count on it.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 20th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Mainly because it has not appeared in his account, and we were in the shop at the time the vendor was doing it online, so if it has not appeared, where is it? (date 9th March).
    Puzzled by this - if this was a face-to-face transaction in a bricks and mortar shop, presumably paid by debit card, why would the retailer not simply process a refund straight to the card by Chip & PIN, giving a confirmed refund receipt to the customer?

If all else fails you may ultimately be able to process it as a chargeback if paid by debit card in the first place (and without any evidence of the transaction being refunded), assuming the goods were faulty in some way.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 20th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 29,370 Posts
    • 54,832 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Puzzled by this - if this was a face-to-face transaction in a bricks and mortar shop, presumably paid by debit card, why would the retailer not simply process a refund straight to the card by Chip & PIN, giving a confirmed refund receipt to the customer?

If all else fails you may ultimately be able to process it as a chargeback if paid by debit card in the first place (and without any evidence of the transaction being refunded), assuming the goods were faulty in some way.
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Basically because he is not much of a businessman and didn't know how to do a refund other than by using his installed software. Apart from the deposit, my husband had it on interest-free credit.

There was nothing wrong with the goods. It was a guitar that the seller said we could exchange within a certain time, this we did and the replacement was cheaper than the original.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 20-03-2017 at 2:50 PM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 18,440 Posts
    • 14,151 Thanks
    agrinnall
    So where did the seller get the wrong bank account details from?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 6,862 Posts
    • 8,451 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    So where did the seller get the wrong bank account details from?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Typo? Perhaps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin