Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • breck2000
    • By breck2000 20th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    breck2000
    Late mortgage payment - credit score?
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    Late mortgage payment - credit score? 20th Mar 17 at 9:33 AM
    Hi all,

Is it possible to fight a mark on your credit score for a late payment / how can you start to redeem your score if not??

I brought a flat last October under shared ownership. To make the initial mortgage payment in November (1.5 months approx) I set up a direct debit and paid.

Then realised from Dec I had to reduce this to just a month so Nationwide told me to just pay the next fee as a one-off payment in Dec and set up a new direct debit in Jan which would continue throughout my mortgage life...

HOWEVER I had forgot to make the payment in Dec... although I admit it's my mistake, they took 3 months to tell me I hadn't make payment.

I have since requested they help amend my credit score as I paid immediately when I realised the error, but they will not. I have also proved I had the money to pay in Dec too and that it was just an error between direct debits but they will not budge.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 20th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    It's only 1 late payment marker so not the end of the world.

However, you accept you made a late payment AND that it was your error, so the fact they're only reporting correct events.

Others may have other ideas but I don't see any grounds for the marker to be removed I'm afraid.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 20th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 12,449 Posts
    • 12,624 Thanks
    zx81
    Just avoid making ate payments from now on. After a few months, its i,pact will have diminished.

Don't focus on the score, just maintain as a clean a file as you can.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 20th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    It's irrespective of whether you had the money or not, you agreed to make the December payment manually as the new DD was set up from Jan, you were late and it was recorded as such. It is a blip, move forward. If it concerns you don't apply for any more credit this year.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 29,518 Posts
    • 18,661 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    Sounds like the default was correctly added.

Your score is just a number, lenders see the history which is what you need to worry about, dont make it a habit of missing payments, use direct debits.
    Je Suis Charlie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,771Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin