Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jay_girlsgirlsgirls
    • By jay_girlsgirlsgirls 20th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 25Thanks
    jay_girlsgirlsgirls
    Withdrawing from running events
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    Withdrawing from running events 20th Mar 17 at 9:32 AM
    Hello,

Are there any consumer rights around running events? We entered together, and now one of us is injured and cannot attend (has doctor confirmation).

Can anyone point me in the direction of consumer rights in these cases? We entered 3 months ago .

Thank you !
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 9,555 Posts
    • 6,557 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    When is the event and have you spoken to the organiser?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 20th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 378 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    I'd be surprised if there isn't something in the T&C's concerning injury when it comes to a sporting event.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 20th Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 4,787 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    Unless the contract specifically allows it, you wouldn't normally be entitled to any refund. Your place in the event is still available, it is no fault of the organisers that you are unable to turn up. As such they shouldn't take the financial hit.
    • HBPencil
    • By HBPencil 20th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    HBPencil
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    If you contact the organiser they sometimes allow a deferral to the following year.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,441 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    As per post #4, from a legal standpoint then such events are excluded from cancellation rights ... unless there is something in the contract T&Cs that allows for cancellation (or deferment) due to injury.

As said above, phone the organisers and explain the situation. It may well be that they have a waiting list of people wanting to attend the event, in which case you may well get back all/a significant portion of your entry fee.

Question ... is it just the injured person who wants to cancel, or both/all of you? (Your OP is not clear on this and could be read either way).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

2,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin