Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 1Thanks
    wirralite
    Viagogo Misleading
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    Viagogo Misleading 20th Mar 17 at 9:04 AM
    Over the weekend, my 15 year old daughter told me about a concert she wants to go to.

Face value of the ticket is £19.75, but they are only available on Viagogo at a cost of £28.50. I agreed and gave her my debit card. 5 minutes later she informs me that after entering the details, she received a confirmation page saying "thank you for your payment of £49.00".

On reviewing the Viagogo website, I noticed that it clearly tells you the face value of the ticket, and the price of the ticket. There is a faint, and small text on the page stating plus vat, shipping, and handling fees.

When you click accept, at the top of the page it requests your card details, but only if you scroll down the page does it show you (several pages down after further text and advertisements) the actually full price you are agreeing to.

As an adult whom has been around the internet (and ripped off many times) I know to find the total before keying in my details. But a typical 15 year old who believes THERE IS ONLY ONE TICKET LEFT, wants to get the details in quickly and hence misses reading beyond ENTER YOUR CARD DETAILS HERE.

The website, is technically, in the right. But it is also CLEARLY geared to people, like my daughter, who are inexperienced and panic to make the purchase.

The payment was made on debit card. I have raised a dispute with my bank immediately. The bank was Nationwide.

Do I have any rights?
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 20th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    I agreed and gave her my debit card.
    Originally posted by wirralite
    And that was your big mistake, probably against the T&C's of the financial organisation. You should have done the transaction yourself.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 20th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    waamo
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    If you search viagogo on this site you will see this is a common complaint.

Sadly rarely do people get their money back. Current legislation excludes event tickets from the protection you would get when buying physical goods.

Attempting a cashback is about as much as you can do. You might be lucky but frankly I doubt it.
    This space for hire.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 20th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    Quoted post removed
    Originally posted by wirralite
    There was no attack, just pointed out the most pertinent point, breaking the T&C's may cause the financial organisation to be unwilling to help. Have you actually told them you gave the card to someone else?
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 21-03-2017 at 9:10 PM.
    • Lyndyloo666
    • By Lyndyloo666 21st Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lyndyloo666
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    I would like to throw in my twopennorth, for what it is worth.

I too was mislead when purchasing 6 tickets through Viagogo. I ordered seats on a particular block and a particular row. When the tickets arrived the seats were in the correct block but in a row much further back.

On contacting Viagogo they informed me that they do not have to supply the EXACT tickets just something near!!

I have replied quoting The Trades Description Act but on investigation I have discovered that they are registered under Swiss Law.

I don't think us "little people" have a hope in hell of taking Viagogo on but I just wish someone with clout would.

Although it is probably too late for all of us who have already purchased tickets from Viagogo their terms and conditions are interesting to read, and I think some of the terms contradict themselves.

Sadly, when you read other reviews, there are many like us who have been duped.

And by the way ; you have not been helpful TadleyBaggie.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 21st Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    I
    Originally posted by Lyndyloo666
    Six people disagree with you it seems.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 21st Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 18,284 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    Originally posted by Lyndyloo666
    Not sure why you think it was unhelpful. Actually, TadleyBaggie makes a VERY good point. Unfortunately the nature of an internet forum is that sometimes the answer is not what people want to hear, even if it is correct.

Even if there was any chance of Viagogo being judged to have misled the OP (or daughter), if the OP has told Nationwide it wasn't themselves that used the card then they have given Nationwide an easy get out to rule against the OP as the daughter shouldn't have been using the card anyway.

As always though, there is a silver lining in any cloud OP. And that is that some people have learnt this lesson by spending hundreds of pounds on tickets. At least yours only cost you £20 and now you and your daughter will be more aware on ticketing sites. Always helps to look on the bright side!

• waamo
    • By waamo 21st Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    waamo
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    MSE posts show quite high in search engine results. If anyone researches Viagogo before buying from them hopefully they will find threads like this.

If it puts a couple of people off buying from them then at least some good has come of it.

Viagogo are slick, upmarket touts.
    This space for hire.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 18,134 Posts
    • 13,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    In the news today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39337503

Also being discussed by the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee (at which Viagogo have refused to appear).

"Conservative Nigel Huddleston says Viagogo have written to the committee explaining their absence saying "we do not sell tickets". Viagogo is claiming it is a platform for handling tickets, and not a seller. This gets wry laughter from the witnesses."

Posted at 12:14 on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-39339528
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,825Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter