Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 20th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 346Posts
    • 53Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    Witholding Bonus
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    Witholding Bonus 20th Mar 17 at 8:57 AM
    Hello again everyone.

I have also added this in the cutting tax thread as I am not sure whether that is more suitable.

You were all very helpful previously when I had some queries re income/tax/pension payments and things have moved on a little since then.

I am due to be paid my bonus at the end of this month which will be 28k. I realise that I am in a very fortunate position but would still like advice if I may.

I queried with my director whether salary sacrifice is an option as with current wage I am going to get taxed quite heavily. Unfortunately as our workplace pension only came in last year this is not yet an option and he needs to take advice from pension provider St James Place. He has also said he may be able to pay direct into my personal pension but also needs to take advice on this.

The suggestion was whether I wanted to take all my bonus this month or withhold it so that I can invest it into the workplace pension when salary sacrifice becomes an option. It is all very confusing working out how much nett pay I will get etc so wondered if anyone can give some options/advice?

My inclination is to take the full bonus this time around, as we are having our first baby and would be good to have higher cash reserve then utilise the salary sacrifice as and when it comes into force. This is also relevant as if I withold bonus, I lose company contribution to my pension. My financial stats are below, which I guess are important for people to advise:

Gross Salary 52,917
    September 2016 Bonus 16,500
    March 2017 Bonus 28,000

Total = 94,417

Workplace pension:

From Apr 2016 - Employer 1%, Employee 0.8% Net

From Oct 2017 Employer 3%, Employee 1.6% Net

From Oct 2018 Employer 5%, Employee 1.6%

Does anyone have any useful advice about options this month as I have to let him know in the next couple of days?!?!?!
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 6,203 Posts
    • 7,555 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    I really hope you're contributing significantly more than 1% of that excellent package into retirement planning.
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    I really hope you're contributing significantly more than 1% of that excellent package into retirement planning.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Thanks for your comment. At the moment I cannot put anything additional into my workplace pension.

I contribute 600 per month into a private pension.

Once sal sacrifice is introduced I will be increasing where I can.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 20th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    At the moment I cannot put anything additional into my workplace pension.

I contribute 600 per month into a private pension.
    Originally posted by Jaguar Skills

What advantage are you gaining from this over adding it to your company pension?
    • atush
    • By atush 20th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 15,811 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    atush
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    If they wont allow him to contribute extra, he is gaining tax relief on it.

I would ask your employer whey they are using St James Place, who are one of (if not the) most expensive companies to use?

Put your bonus into your personal pension instead.
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 20th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    If they wont allow him to contribute extra, he is gaining tax relief on it.

I would ask your employer whey they are using St James Place, who are one of (if not the) most expensive companies to use?

Put your bonus into your personal pension instead.
    Originally posted by atush
    But isnt the bonus then already net of tax? I am pretty sure he won't want to change it was just something which was offered which he went with.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 19,632 Posts
    • 14,636 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    But isnt the bonus then already net of tax? I am pretty sure he won't want to change it was just something which was offered which he went with.
    Originally posted by Jaguar Skills
    Given your salary you are likely to be higher rate tax payer. If you placed in a pension after tax then you will still get 40% tax relief (via a self assessment form I believe), and the only thing you don't gain, which you would via salary sacrifice, is NI which at the salary you are on, is worth 2%.
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 20th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    Yes I am a higher rate tax payer at the moment. Does anyone have any views on whether it would be benficial to withold or take the bonus at this stage?

I guess things to weigh up would be I would lose company contribution if I hold it vs higher tax if I take it.

I am leaning towards taking it this time and then trying to sacrifice more in the future as and when I can.
    • atush
    • By atush 20th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 15,811 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    atush
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    I would pay the bonus into a pension, get the BRT relief via the provider, and call HMRC to inform them of the contribution (and get the other TR via PAYE)
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 21st Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    badmemory
    And then look at paying some into your OHs pension to protect her from the void period during her maternity leave. If your relationship is a very long term thing then it will be to your tax advantage to have her income with a lower tax liablility increased whilst your highly taxable income may decrease.
    • atush
    • By atush 22nd Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 15,811 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    atush
    If the relationship is to be long term, it will be to his tax advantage to be married. AS then he can have some of her spare PA each year. Not to mention she can inherit ISA and pensions tax free.
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 22nd Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    Yes I agree we do need to get married but we ideally want to have the child(ren) first.
    • atush
    • By atush 22nd Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 15,811 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    atush
    So long as you both have wills (as she wont inherit anything from you w/o one).
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 22nd Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    We literally finalised our wills yesterday. I think I need to change over my private pension to confirm that it should pay to her in the event of my death as well?
    • atush
    • By atush 22nd Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 15,811 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    atush
    yes, fill out the expressions of wishes.

Not that you dont love your little one to be, but you dont want them to inherit all you leave behind instead of their mother.

If you died before you do, your child would be in line to inherit the pension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin