Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 1Thanks
    wirralite
    Postage Cancellation Charges
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    Postage Cancellation Charges 20th Mar 17 at 8:50 AM
    I recently sold something on eBay. There was a problem and the buyer has returned the item. I was required to pay for return postage, which I did with myHermes via Parcel Hero. Postage cost was £2.75.

As it turns out the buyer has sent the package back via another means and is attempting to get ebay to charge me for their postage. If successful I will have basically paid twice.

I requested a refund from Parcel Hero, which they are happy to provide however when requesting the cancellation, I receive a message "Collection Cancellations will incur a £2.50 charge". That might not be word for word, however the sentiment is the same.

First thing, I note is £2.50 is almost the full cost of postage, so basically I will not receive a refund. Secondly, I can not find in their T&Cs a charge for cancellation, and thirdly, I have not arranged a cancellation; the package was going to be dropped off at a shop.

I have emailed Parcelhero and rejected their charge. Do I have any rights to get a refund? When a (similar) matter happened with Royal mail they just cancelled the postage and refunded the money.
Page 2
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    DoaM
    As I said in post #2 ... some battles are worth fighting, some aren't.

OP has already invested more time in this than the issue is worth.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    Sounds like they are doing you a favour by reducing the charge by 50%.

https://www.parcelhero.com/en-gb/courier-services/prices-and-surcharges
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    However the same section continues...

"Every time a collection is attempted, and fails, it adds more costs to the courier as they will need to go back to that location again to re-attempt on another day. At ParcelHero® we also need to re-book the collection with the courier once we have confirmed a suitable time and date with you for the new collection. It's therefore very important that when you book the collection, that there is someone available on-site to hand the parcel to the courier on the day you requested. If you're not available when we attempt to collect, then a surcharge will be applied to cover the costs of re-attempting the collection."

This does not apply to a store drop off. There was never a scheduled collection time, and hence never an additional cost to re-arrange the "collection".
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    As I said in post #2 ... some battles are worth fighting, some aren't.

OP has already invested more time in this than the issue is worth.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Maybe. Maybe not. It poses an interesting argument. Sadly, not one that can solicit a factual response on these forums. Not so sure any topic can TBH.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 20th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 4,790 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    All seems reasonable to me. ParcelHero have provided all the shipping labels and arranged the collection/paid MyHermes.

Where in the T&C's does it say you can cancel a booking after it has been processed?
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    takman
    Of course they are separate issues. One is an issue with regards to ebay, and the other is ParcelHero. One can not expect ebay to be responsible for Parcel hero nor vice versa.
    Originally posted by wirralite

There are not seprate because if the person used the correct method of returning the item you wouldn't have had to cancel.

So if eBay correctly decide you don't need to pay for the return of the parcel because you have already booked a courier then you won't have to chase Parcel Hero for a refund.

So if you want to put your effort into something then you should be making sure the person doesn't get any money from you because they didn't use the service that you had already paid for.
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    All seems reasonable to me. ParcelHero have provided all the shipping labels and arranged the collection/paid MyHermes.

Where in the T&C's does it say you can cancel a booking after it has been processed?
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    But HAVE they paid MyHermes? How do we know THEY pay for a delivery that doesn't happen? That is another presumtion.
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    Wow. I am really bored of this now.

Thanks everyone for showing me that these forums have absolutely no value whatsoever apart from getting uninformed comments from people who don't actually know facts.

What a wasted opportunity.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 20th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 4,790 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    But HAVE they paid MyHermes? How do we know THEY pay for a delivery that doesn't happen? That is another presumtion.
    How else would you get the shipping labels if the fee isn't paid onto MyHermes?

Where does it say in the T&C's that a customer has an option to cancel the booking once it has been processed?
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 20th Mar 17, 1:40 PM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 4,790 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Wow. I am really bored of this now.

Thanks everyone for showing me that these forums have absolutely no value whatsoever apart from getting uninformed comments from people who don't actually know facts.

What a wasted opportunity.
    Translation:

I didn't get the advice I wanted to hear so im going to criticise the forum and its members that have replied to me.
    • reason2
    • By reason2 20th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    reason2
    this post does read heavily like "Please all come online and support me and tell me what i want to hear, and if you dont, i will throw my toys out of the pram"

i've seen sensible advice given but tunnel vision seems to have got in the way!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 20th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 18,710 Posts
    • 43,015 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Oh dear, has OP taken his ball and gone home?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

337Posts Today

4,442Users online

Martin's Twitter