Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 1Thanks
    wirralite
    Postage Cancellation Charges
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    Postage Cancellation Charges 20th Mar 17 at 8:50 AM
    I recently sold something on eBay. There was a problem and the buyer has returned the item. I was required to pay for return postage, which I did with myHermes via Parcel Hero. Postage cost was £2.75.

As it turns out the buyer has sent the package back via another means and is attempting to get ebay to charge me for their postage. If successful I will have basically paid twice.

I requested a refund from Parcel Hero, which they are happy to provide however when requesting the cancellation, I receive a message "Collection Cancellations will incur a £2.50 charge". That might not be word for word, however the sentiment is the same.

First thing, I note is £2.50 is almost the full cost of postage, so basically I will not receive a refund. Secondly, I can not find in their T&Cs a charge for cancellation, and thirdly, I have not arranged a cancellation; the package was going to be dropped off at a shop.

I have emailed Parcelhero and rejected their charge. Do I have any rights to get a refund? When a (similar) matter happened with Royal mail they just cancelled the postage and refunded the money.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    You may be in the right, you may not. For £2.50 ish it's probably not a battle worth fighting.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    You may be in the right, you may not. For £2.50 ish it's probably not a battle worth fighting.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    It is if you sell something, ship it, pay to return it, refund the purchase price and end up out of pocket twice for no reason.

Plus I don't consider sending an email and knowing where you stand, much of a fight. It takes seconds. It is also a matter of principle...they haven't actually done any work to deliver this package, yet are still getting paid for it.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 20th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 10,583 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    What other means did the buyer use (how much did it cost). Did you upload your Hermes label to the ebay case?
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    What other means did the buyer use (how much did it cost). Did you upload your Hermes label to the ebay case?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I am not complaining about being charged for the other means of returning the parcel. I am dealing with that separately.

What I need to know here, is can they charge me a cancellation fee, virtually equivalent to the postage charges, when it is not clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions. I guess I will just wait and see what my bank concludes and deal with it myself then. I just thought I'd find some useful advice here.
    • bris
    • By bris 20th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 6,647 Posts
    • 5,693 Thanks
    bris
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    I am not complaining about being charged for the other means of returning the parcel. I am dealing with that separately.

What I need to know here, is can they charge me a cancellation fee, virtually equivalent to the postage charges, when it is not clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions. I guess I will just wait and see what my bank concludes and deal with it myself then. I just thought I'd find some useful advice here.
    Originally posted by wirralite
    Yes they can, it takes someone time to process this, you pay for this time.

It's not their fault you want to cancel, circumstances are irrelevant and not their problem.
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    Yes they can, it takes someone time to process this, you pay for this time.

It's not their fault you want to cancel, circumstances are irrelevant and not their problem.
    Originally posted by bris
    OK. That may be a logical "opinion", but is it not a legal requirement for them to inform you of their intention to charge you for cancellation in their T&Cs?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    Were you selling as a business?

Did you engage the courier as a business or as a consumer?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    Were you selling as a business?

Did you engage the courier as a business or as a consumer?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Private sale. As a consumer.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 20th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 18,204 Posts
    • 41,639 Thanks
    peachyprice

As it turns out the buyer has sent the package back via another means and is attempting to get ebay to charge me for their postage. If successful I will have basically paid twice.
    OK, so this hasn't actually happened yet.

What reason did the purchaser give eBay for not using your myHermes pre-paid postage? Did they have the label in time? What is their own personal preference not to use it? As far as I am aware if you choose not to use the pre-paid method provided, tough luck, you bear the cost.

You might be better off posting on the ebay board asking for advice on how to fight this with eBay rather than trying to fight parcel hero over something that is not their fault.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    OK, so this hasn't actually happened yet.

What reason did the purchaser give eBay for not using your myHermes pre-paid postage? Did they have the label in time? What is their own personal preference not to use it? As far as I am aware if you choose not to use the pre-paid method provided, tough luck, you bear the cost.

You might be better off posting on the ebay board asking for advice on how to fight this with eBay rather than trying to fight parcel hero over something that is not their fault.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    I an NOT disputing the ebay charge, here. This is another matter. What I am asking here is can ParcelHero (legally) charge ME a cancellation fee, for cancelling a postage label, even if it is not listed (clearly) in their Terms & Conditions. I have been through their T&Cs several times, and conducted a search for "Cancel" and "Refund"; I have been unable to find anything about a charge. Even on the website, when requesting the refund it states the charge is for a "cancelled collection" but there was never going to be a collection, unless they refer to a shop drop off as a collection. Either way I cant find it in the T&C.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 20th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 18,204 Posts
    • 41,639 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I an NOT disputing the ebay charge, here. This is another matter. What I am asking here is can ParcelHero (legally) charge ME a cancellation fee, for cancelling a postage label, even if it is not listed (clearly) in their Terms & Conditions. I have been through their T&Cs several times, and conducted a search for "Cancel" and "Refund"; I have been unable to find anything about a charge. Even on the website, when requesting the refund it states the charge is for a "cancelled collection" but there was never going to be a collection, unless they refer to a shop drop off as a collection. Either way I cant find it in the T&C.
    Well maybe you should be, then you wouldn't need a refund from parcel hero.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    Well maybe you should be, then you wouldn't need a refund from parcel hero.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Its irrelevant....Either way Parcel Hero have not provided the service for which they have been paid. A Refund has been requested and they are (potentially) charging a fee which they may not be entitled to.

The two are completely different matters.
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    takman
    Its irrelevant....Either way Parcel Hero have not provided the service for which they have been paid. A Refund has been requested and they are (potentially) charging a fee which they may not be entitled to.

The two are completely different matters.

They are not two completely different matters because if you can show that you have paid for the return but they chose not to use it then you won't need to pay for the method they used to return it.

Parcel Hero have provided a service. They have generated a label and offered to provide the parcel transportation. So it's not there fault that it wasn't used.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 20th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    IAmWales
    The sender drops off the parcel at the Collection Point (defined in the terms and conditions), it is then collected by the courier. You are cancelling the collection, and are liable for the cancellation charge.
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    The sender drops off the parcel at the Collection Point (defined in the terms and conditions), it is then collected by the courier. You are cancelling the collection, and are liable for the cancellation charge.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Hmmm.....not sure you can state that as a fact.

I bring you attention to the T&Cs in which this cancellation charge is certainly not evident. This matter is currently in question with their customer services, who should reply shortly.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 20th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Hmmm.....not sure you can state that as a fact.

I bring you attention to the T&Cs in which this cancellation charge is certainly not evident. This matter is currently in question with their customer services, who should reply shortly.
    You're not going to accept any response as fact that doesn't tell you what you want to hear, are you?
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    They are not two completely different matters because if you can show that you have paid for the return but they chose not to use it then you won't need to pay for the method they used to return it.

Parcel Hero have provided a service. They have generated a label and offered to provide the parcel transportation. So it's not there fault that it wasn't used.
    Originally posted by takman
    Of course they are separate issues. One is an issue with regards to ebay, and the other is ParcelHero. One can not expect ebay to be responsible for Parcel hero nor vice versa.
    • wirralite
    • By wirralite 20th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wirralite
    You're not going to accept any response as fact that doesn't tell you what you want to hear, are you?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Not true at all. I WAS hoping for a intelligent informed response, but i might have come to the wrong place. Which is a shame, because if people who KNEW the facts commented on these forums they would build into a useful library of questions and answers that would help everyone in the future, and also prevent duplicate questions being raised because finding the useful response would be straightforward.

alas, this is never meant to be, because everyone and anyone interjects speculation, and uninformed opinion.

too bad
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 20th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 4,450 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Sounds like they are doing you a favour by reducing the charge by 50%.

When a collection is booked, but you are not available to hand over the delivery

A surcharge of £5 is applied for re-booking.
    https://www.parcelhero.com/en-gb/courier-services/prices-and-surcharges
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,197Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin