Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rumblefish
    • By rumblefish 20th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 199Posts
    • 434Thanks
    rumblefish
    2014 Focus boot water in wheel-well
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    2014 Focus boot water in wheel-well 20th Mar 17 at 8:40 AM
    Morning,

Gave the car a clear out over the weekend & when I lifted the rear bench seat found damp/condensation on the metal - investigated a little further and ended up emptying the boot and unfortunately found the wheel-well full of water!

The sides of the boot near the rear lights are damp too.

Dried everything out as best I can but just looking for a bit of advice on where to go from here, I'm assuming water is getting in through the lights but does it seem likely that they're BOTH leaking?

I don't go under the boot carpets very often I think the last time was around 18 months ago when changing a wheel and there was no water in there then so the problem has developed between then and now.

Car is a 63 Focus Zetec TDCI if that makes any difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 20th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    More likely the door seal on the hatchback door.
    On wheeler dealers edd put a smoke machine in the car and checked where the smoke came out. That only works if you have a smoke machine to hand.
    Just manually check the door seal to see if it is loose. Might be worth pouring water over the back door while someone inside checks for where the water is coming in.
    • facade
    • By facade 20th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    facade
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    You can also dust the seal with talc, which will wash off where the water has got in, although there isn't much you can do if the seal is in good condition, except move the latch ring & loosen the bumper rubbers so it closes a bit tighter.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

6,210Users online

Martin's Twitter