Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 20th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 67Posts
    • 43Thanks
    darkh0rse
    Travel - Missed pre-booked train due to cancelled Taxi
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    Travel - Missed pre-booked train due to cancelled Taxi 20th Mar 17 at 8:40 AM
    Hi all

I ordered an Uber to take me to the train station to meet a pre-booked train on an advance ticket. Pickup time was 15 minutes. No problem, except the driver cancelled the journey mid-way through this time. A new Uber would take another 15 mins, and bus and local rail would not get me there in time either factoring in the now busier roads.

To make the train I drove in and parked up. But, I missed it by 1 minute, so I had to buy a new ticket £62. Parking for 48 hours was £37. Plus £10 admin fee on the cancelled tickets (assuming my refund is accepted), all in all, out of pocket by ~£100 (~£140 if not).

My Nationwide FlexPlus travel insurance told me they couldn't consider the claim as I was staying with a friend and not at a hotel, and American Express told me I didn't miss anything so the claim wasn't valid (wasn't sure about that particular advisor's response, I may have another try as I wasn't satisfied with that).

Worth a small claims if all else fails?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 20th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 957 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    Not worth all the hassle for a small claims action.
    You were cutting everything too fine & missing your train was largely down to that.
    Leave yourself more time...........
    My opinion only of course.
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 20th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    darkh0rse
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes SCC is a hassle.

08.15 taxi cancelled at 08.25 and I got in my car at 08.30 to make an 09.07 that almost worked.
    Infuriating really.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 20th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 7,152 Posts
    • 5,150 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    American Express told me I didn't miss anything so the claim wasn't valid (wasn't sure about that particular advisor's response, I may have another try as I wasn't satisfied with that).
    Originally posted by darkh0rse
    What does the small print in the policy say? You missed a train after all.
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 20th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    darkh0rse
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    I should have a good read of their T&Cs.

Yes only a train, but It was a pre-booked train to attend an event, I had to spend quite a bit to ensure I didn't miss it, everything had been planned, event and train tickets bought etc.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 20th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    [QUOTE=darkh0rse;72278424

My Nationwide FlexPlus travel insurance told me they couldn't consider the claim as I was staying with a friend and not at a hotel, and American Express told me I didn't miss anything so the claim wasn't valid (wasn't sure about that particular advisor's response, I may have another try as I wasn't satisfied with that).

Worth a small claims if all else fails?

Many thanks[/QUOTE]

Surely your insurance should cover your extra expenses which you had to pay because of Uber's actions.

Or go onto Uber Twitter and complain loudly.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 28,937 Posts
    • 18,274 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    Surely Uber shouldmbe your port of call since the taxi was ordered.

You did leave it a bit short in the eventual possibilty of this happening.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 20th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    darkh0rse
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    Uber already stated they don't cover any extra costs such as this and had no interest in compensating in any way.

Local taxis had been unreliable in the past. Haven't had an Uber cancel on me before so it was just typical timing.

With the rush hour, and booking at 08.15 as I did, I should have been there with 20 minutes to spare. Not a huge amount of time but certainly not cutting it fine.

The Amex claims have an online claims service which gave me an opportunity to provide full details and paperwork for everything. I've tried submitting a complete case with them, took about 30 minutes.

If they decline I guess I'll have to take this one on the chin or face the faff of SCC, I have successfully defended a small claim before and was awarded costs but it is a real faff.

Cheers all.
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    takman
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes SCC is a hassle.

08.15 taxi cancelled at 08.25 and I got in my car at 08.30 to make an 09.07 that almost worked.
    Infuriating really.

If the pickup time was 08:15 with a 15 minute waiting time then they would have got to you at around 08:30 which is the same time that you left anyway.

So you were cutting it extremely fine and considering that you would have driven faster knowing you were late then the taxi probably wouldn't have made it on time either even if it had arrived.
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 20th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    darkh0rse
    Well, I almost agree takman, but you are forgetting the fact I had to drive further to the car park, park and then get to the station as opposed to a simple drop-off.

Either way we can all agree more time could have been left. I had been up since 06.45 getting ready for the day so it's all just rather annoying.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 20th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 5,068 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    rs65
    My Nationwide FlexPlus travel insurance told me they couldn't consider the claim as I was staying with a friend and not at a hotel
    What does your policy say about this? I can only find the summary on line and it says UK trips must be more than 25 miles from home and for 2 or more nights.

You'll also need to read the missed departure/connections part as some only provide cover by scheduled public transport.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 20th Mar 17, 9:20 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    What does your policy say about this? I can only find the summary on line and it says UK trips must be more than 25 miles from home and for 2 or more nights.

You'll also need to read the missed departure/connections part as some only provide cover by scheduled public transport.
    Originally posted by rs65
    RS65 and your friends have nailed it - for a UK trip to be covered under most annual travel insurance - it must usually include 2 nights pre-booked accommodation.

So the whole debate about it being Uber or the insurance is not relevant. The trip was never insured. This is usually pretty clear in the policy summary / terms.

If it had been a covered trip - I suspect that the insurer would hold out successfully for you cutting it too fine - given the Uber driver cancellation only really cost you 7.5 minutes of waiting. Insurers would argue you should reasonably allow more time to ensure connections.

Sorry, on the chin and wiser next time as you say.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 21st Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    darkh0rse
    I just wanted to make sure of my options really. Would be silly to have paid insurance sat their unused.

At least it was a good day out!

Thanks all for the input.
    • OnanTheBarbarian
    • By OnanTheBarbarian 21st Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    OnanTheBarbarian
    I can't vouch for uber and their booking t&c but i believe if a private hire taxi is booked to take you to a train station and they cause you to miss your train, you can demand they take you to the destination.

Certainly when i pre-book a taxi for the train station they always ask what time is my train and they always seem to turn up early, presumably due to the risks.

What do Uber t&c say?
    • takman
    • By takman 21st Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    takman
    I can't vouch for uber and their booking t&c but i believe if a private hire taxi is booked to take you to a train station and they cause you to miss your train, you can demand they take you to the destination.

Certainly when i pre-book a taxi for the train station they always ask what time is my train and they always seem to turn up early, presumably due to the risks.

What do Uber t&c say?
    Originally posted by OnanTheBarbarian

The OP didn't really pre book the taxi they simply went on the Uber App and requested a taxi asap and it said the next one would be there in 15 minutes. But after 7.5 minutes the App notified him that the selected taxi wouldn't be able to come and it would be another 15 minutes for the next one.

So the taxi wouldn't even know they were catching a train all they know is where the pickup and drop off points are and how much they are being paid.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 21st Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 706 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud

What do Uber t&c say?
    Originally posted by OnanTheBarbarian
    Ah but he didn't let the replacement Uber arrive 7.5 mins later than promised -so they never had the chance to deliver him in time or late.

Also - Uber's capitalised terms seems less than helpful to you aim.
    "YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT UBER DOES NOT PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION, LOGISTICS, DELIVERY OR VENDOR SERVICES OR FUNCTION AS A TRANSPORTATION PROVIDER OR CARRIER AND THAT ALL SUCH TRANSPORTATION, LOGISTICS, DELIVERY AND VENDOR SERVICES ARE PROVIDED BY INDEPENDENT THIRD PARTY CONTRACTORS WHO ARE NOT EMPLOYED BY UBER OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES."
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,069Posts Today

7,604Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin