Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DeeGee75
    • By DeeGee75 20th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 50Posts
    • 8Thanks
    DeeGee75
    0 WOW
    Getting Romanian Cash
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    0 WOW
    Getting Romanian Cash 20th Mar 17 at 8:24 AM
    Hi folks,

I'm going to Romania for a weekend in a fortnight. My intention is to put my budget on my Revolut card and use that in most places, but I need a bit of cash.

I'm conscious that I can withdraw cash on the card, and that there's likely to be an ATM at the airport, but I like to have a small contingency to cover the first night's expense. I've needed it in the past as I've had my cards blocked in Poland hand had to get by on the cash in my pocket.

I'm presented with two options. My preferred option is to find somewhere that can order in maybe 50 quid's worth of Romanian Lev that I can pick up somewhere in this medium-sized town in Eastern England, ideally outside of normal working hours. The alternative is to take a wad of Euros and change them on arrival in Romania, which I don't really want to do as again I'm relying on things being available to me when I arrive.

Does anyone know a high-street exchange place that definitely can order in Romanian Lev? Tesco would have been my preferred choice, but won't allow me to select it as a currency. I can't order currency online with the Post Office as I'm not ordering enough. I could go in but I'll get hammered for the rate.

Or do I do the trusty traveller's standby, and just go with a wad of hard currency instead?
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 29,949 Posts
    • 18,970 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    What about Thomas Cook ?

I cant see they have a minimum amount, can get ot home delivered if you like.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 20-03-2017 at 8:47 AM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 20th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 7,390 Posts
    • 4,775 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    I'm conscious that I can withdraw cash on the card, and that there's likely to be an ATM at the airport
    Originally posted by DeeGee75
    There will be. Take at least two other cards in case your main card is lost/stolen/blocked anyway. Almost any of them will be cheaper than a bureau, whether it's here or over there.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 20th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 12,238 Posts
    • 10,169 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    If you're worried about all your cards being blocked, take some GBP cash which you can change in an emergency. Or take Euros if you already have a wad of them, but don't change GBP to Euros to then change to Lev, that would be ridiculously complicated and costly!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,138Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin