Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    • 6,181Posts
    • 34,641Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 20/03
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 20/03 20th Mar 17 at 6:58 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling '17 Apr £457.41/YTD £1907.45/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1015 Veg grown £5.29
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
Page 2
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 20th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    I'm agreed to sell 17 of my Yankee Candles for £260. I'll knock that off the debt.
    End Sep 2016 End April 2017 £8236.57 £6670.91(Tesco 4.8%) £6185.75 £1779.78 (Zopa 4.0%) £5344.50 £3394 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) Sister £2000 (0%) Total debt £19.766.82 £13,844.69Original DFD May 2019.
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 20th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 17,314 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Gosh, being in the office for 10.5 hours a day is exhausting me. I'm so shattered when I get home that everything goes to pot.

All this dentist chat is reminding me I haven't been to the dentist for almost 4 years... Must sort that out...

Tonight I made dinner and some cous cous to put with leftovers for tomorrow's lunch... Still got to make sandwiches for OH's lunch.

I had big plans to clear out the kitchen but I cba...

BTW, talking about fake aways and eating when you can't be bothered cooking.... We reached new lows last night - micro chips! We have been getting on quite well with the oven not working... T minus 1 month until our new kitchen is in situ...

I could really go straight to bed right now... Well jel of you, FVD!

Just need to go and change the bedding... Then I'll read my free ebook I am desperado to finish.

Catch up tomorrow mes amis!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 20th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 4,281 Posts
    • 32,495 Thanks
    DawnW
    I'm agreed to sell 17 of my Yankee Candles for £260. I'll knock that off the debt.
    Originally posted by zippygeorgeandben
    Wow, I can't believe candles can cost so much Well done on the sale / debt busting, anyway

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 20th Mar 17, 10:16 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 15,493 Thanks
    FatVonD

I could really go straight to bed right now... Well jel of you, FVD!
    Originally posted by La escocesa
    Could I just rub it in and say that DSGF has just brought me up a cup of tea
    Spend on clothes in 2017 £37.50/£33 (Oops!)
    Make £5 a day in May £8.05/£155 (April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 20th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    Wow, I can't believe candles can cost so much Well done on the sale / debt busting, anyway
    Originally posted by DawnW
    Thanks Fawn. Don't really want to sell but I've got enough of them! RRP would have been over £400!
    End Sep 2016 End April 2017 £8236.57 £6670.91(Tesco 4.8%) £6185.75 £1779.78 (Zopa 4.0%) £5344.50 £3394 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) Sister £2000 (0%) Total debt £19.766.82 £13,844.69Original DFD May 2019.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 21st Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 10,718 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all v quick post before I'm away up the road for a busy day. I've been up a while so already:

Cheap baked oats for breakfast
    Walked round to friends to feed her cat as she's away.
    Mince out for tea
    Washing out on airer
    Checked banking
    Will also:

Check surveys, FPL
    Snacks to work
    Work will buy lunch as two meetings in opposite directions so long day ahead
    Hot drink in car with me
    Reduce screen time tonight by doing something else
    Check annoying things list and plan what I'll do in march

Enjoy your day folks.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 21st Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,547 Thanks
    angelpye
    Morning all,

Been really hectic here so not much Msing going on.

Today I need to go scout around for a party dress for DD - not much in the kitty for it so will be a challenge, especially with the lack of shops in my town. DD has outgrown hers but I see it as a necessity as she has a couple of events coming up. Luckily one is at school and one is with family so she can wear the same without anyone thinking anything about it. Unfortunately her dad doesn't like spending money on clothes so I think this will be on me even though he will want to use it - frustrating as he has three times my income. Sorry, for ex rant but this does impact my budget quite a lot at times - he expects me to pay half of most things and reduces my maintenance to that effect.

Today:
    *Scout for dress.
    *All food from home.
    *Washing mountain - sunshine!
    *Work.

Hope you all have a good day and are getting some of the sunshine I have here
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 21st Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

My ear infection is not better after feeling really well last week, it came back on Sunday and now I'm back to tiredness, heavy headed etc... back to the docs at 12:50

Today's plan:
    • B/L/D from stores (except must pick up some stuffing)
    • Charge phone in work
    • Gym after work as can't now go at lunchtime
    • Crochet new commission if feel up to it
    • No alcohol
    • Likely an early night again
    • Wash an item for ebay
    • Housework list for OH
    • Washing out on line
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 21-03-2017 at 9:35 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8741.84
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 21st Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 34,641 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning - opps where has the day gone already! Day 1 of living with one car has begun! Got up this morning and took madam to cm's and oh to work. Will pick him up at 5, he'll drop me & madam at bff's as it's her birthday so we are going there for the evening. Then he'll go on to football before joining us later. Phew complicated!

Have tidied up a bit - want to do flylady (kitchen today. Oh noticed the windows in the lounge looking good after yesterday's efforts!)

called a live stock farm to see if they will give me some cow's manure to mulch & cover a 2 m x 3 m bed. It's covered with marestail so think I am going to cover it with a mulch of manure, compost & black membrane until October. Will plant squashes in there while it's doing it's magic

Have also contacted a gardener we have used to get a quote for said manure as a back up

called local farmer's market fishmonger to ask if I can have some polystyrene boxes so I can make my wormery. He has said I can have some (I'm assuming for free as no money was mentioned). Will pop into HB to see if they have coir blocks when I go to collect & if not order worms & block online. They should be here tomorrow

going to sow some sweetpeas - a bit late in the day! And go to the lottie for an hour or two

Make brownies & cheese straws when I come back

Hang out washing on the line & do another load. Bad weather last left me with a mountain!

cheap porridge for breakfast & last of hm soup for lunch. Getting a takeaway with bff and respective partners/husbands

Need to spend an hour reconciling accounts/spending.

Right I'd better get cracking! Happy days guys x

Carrie sorry to hear you are feeling ill again

angelpye good luck with the frugal hunt!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling '17 Apr £457.41/YTD £1907.45/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1015 Veg grown £5.29
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 21st Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 15,493 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I've taken today off to take things easy and hopefully feel a bit better but the sun is shining so that's going to be difficult as the garden is beckoning!

I've done some washing up and am just sitting in bed drinking a cup of tea thinking about running a bath and then I need to pop to the shop for some sugar. I hate sugar in tea, I can barely stand milk in it but the teens use it.

I've a pile of washing that needs putting away but I'm just going to separate it into piles and the teens can do their own.

Since I'm home I'll brave the YS run tonight though I should pop in this afternoon also as the meat products seem to get snapped up at the interim price and don't always make it as far as final reductions. I need to get back into going every night as the sandwiches and pasta snacks save me a fortune on lunches for us all plus also mean less washing up than if DS starts cooking (there are pros and cons to having a son that can cook!)

I must try to remember to buy a jar of curry sauce, (Mr T own brand butter chicken is the most authentic tasting sauce I've ever bought) ready to put on a slow cooker curry tomorrow morning. I am loving my slow cooker and I have some YS turkey strips and a tray of YS med veg in the freezer.

Lunch will probably be jacket potato again, I'm addicted! The teens appear to have eaten their lunch in the middle of the night. DSGF says she has put on two stone since moving in here (I'm not sure where, she is still only a size 8/10!) so they are both trying to cut down a little but obviously not today
    Spend on clothes in 2017 £37.50/£33 (Oops!)
    Make £5 a day in May £8.05/£155 (April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 21st Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 20,664 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Slept well and feeling a little brighter, spent time with mum this morning, was lovely and very much a "good" day. Brilliant sunshine and blue skies interrupted briefly by very heavy hailstone shower. Today's little list:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Hairdresser @ home - Done
    Declutter magazines to hairdresser - [COLOR="Red"]Done/COLOR]Wait for freeglers - No, didn't turn up
    Relist a few bits for sale - Done
    Continue purge on emails - Done
    Enter a few comps - Done a few
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer - Done
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL - Done
    Read (need to pick a new book from shelf) - Done

Have a great day all!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 21-03-2017 at 9:32 PM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 21st Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 17,314 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi gang

I’m trying to stay positive after I lost the rag last night… You know when you know you are being quite irrational but things just get so infuriating?! I spent last night re-jigging YNAB to cover an overspend for OH’s training… fine, we had both discussed how he could do it this month and what we would have to cut back on so that he could. I’ve been trying really hard with groceries, making lunches, making sure we both have brekkie to stop canteen trips etc. Finally got the books balancing (by borrowing from other categories we will need to funnel more into next month) and OH comes in with a T’s carrier bag! I reckon he spent less than £10 but I was well annoyed. I know it’s not a major issue as there is £2k in the bank but our grocery budget has been used up this month… Now I’ve got another recoup job coming up and another £10 to find from somewhere else. OH just spends what he wants (although he hardly spends anything but that is not the point…) and I need to do the thinking of how we can get it to work.

Ooh DNMS - sounds like us with the one car!

CLF - take it easy! I've heard crochet helps earache

Enjoy your day off FVD!
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 21st Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta

hahaha I wish it did. Actually, holding my head down makes it worse!

Cheers for the well wishes folks. 5 day course of Amoxycillin for me!

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 21st Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 16,399 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Afternoon Campers,
    Not a huge amount of money saving been going on here today, but no spending either:
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water & let my hair dry naturally so a bit of energy saved there.
    *Laundry blowing dry for free out in the garden.
    *Free fitness clearing & digging over garden for an hour & a half.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Made dough in bread machine. Pizza bases & cobs now proving.A few Use-it-ups will shortly be going in the tppping.
    *Might do some sock knitting later but we have to eat early & get out to a meeting, so it won't be yet.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £854-00
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £175
    • fendi-bag-lady
    • By fendi-bag-lady 21st Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    fendi-bag-lady
    Hi I used to post in here a long long time ago and can always remember everyone was so kind and supportive and now that I'm on a new mission I thought I'd start posting on here again.

I was working nightshift last night so just woke up after a really good sleep, today I plan to:

Check bank account
    Check FPL
    Enter some competitions
    • Pack / Bin / Bag for charity shop/Ebay 100 things for moving
    PAD £1.19 to savings pot
    Write shopping list and stick to it! forgot the tomatoes, will need to get these tomorrow
    Asda for a few bits to last a couple of days
    Washing on airer
    Look at some dfw challenges I don’t want to over commit myself but will definitely start “make £10 a day” challenge next month and continue “payment a day”
    Kindly ask my brother for the money back that he owes me
    Call TV Licence and let them know I’ll be cancelling my direct debit as I’m moving out 17 minutes it took
    Get fuel
    Go through bag of things for Ebay – It’s been in the cupboard for months and I’ve never gotten round to doing anything about it I now have 26 items that need to go on ASAP
    Update signature
    Update spending diary

Hope everyone has a fab day!

Lx
    Last edited by fendi-bag-lady; 21-03-2017 at 8:48 PM.
    May Challenges: make £20 a day: £0/£620, groceries: £19.90/£250

Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye!
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 21st Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hi I used to post in here a long long time ago and can always remember everyone was so kind and supportive and now that I'm on a new mission I thought I'd start posting on here again.

I was working nightshift last night so just woke up after a really good sleep, today I plan to:

• Check bank account
    • Check FPL
    • Enter some competitions
    • Pack / Bin / Bag for charity shop/Ebay 100 things for moving
    • Work on essay
    • PAD
    • Write shopping list and stick to it!
    • Asda for a few bits to last a couple of days
    • Washing on airer
    • Look at some dfw challenges
    • Kindly ask my brother for the money back that he owes me
    • Call TV Licence and let them know I’ll be cancelling my direct debit as I’m moving out
    • Get fuel
    • Go through bag of things for Ebay – It’s been in the cupboard for months and I’ve never gotten round to doing anything about it
    • Update signature
    • Update spending diary

Hope everyone has a fab day!

Lx
    Originally posted by fendi-bag-lady

Welcome back

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 21st Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Afternoon money savers
    Hoping those feeling under the weather are feeling a bit better
    Not been productive as I would like but
    *Took my daughter to the orthodontist
    *My daughter wanted to pop in the Range on the way home, thought I'll just have a look at the birthday cards (and put them back so expensive) but still ended up spending on craft goodies.......but they were a treat for me, haven't crafted for ages and want to get back into it again and finish a wedding album
    *banking all done and checked this morning
    *pet cleaning sorted
    *Dishwasher all sorted and being reloaded
    *other parcel posted for my brother-Didn't have to pay anything.
    *top up shop including cat food supplies I'm not doing any more of these until a main shop on Friday

FVD do you know I never think of myself as an amputee as I have spinal damage as well. Was warned before having DD that surgery may not save the leg, I remember being absolutely devastated, but once the operations started it was completely different, it wasn't about me but DD. Unfortunately an infection a year after surgery left me fighting for my life, stemming from the collapsed knee. I was then told that they couldn't save the leg but had to go home for a year on antibiotics as my body was too weak to withstand an amputation at that point. I would have honestly cut the leg off at the end, it was literally dying in front of me, and there was no guarantee that an infection wouldn't flare up again, it was like living with a ticking time bomb. I was so mentally prepared, had the amputation Friday, was home by the Tuesday. I always forget I am an amputee as I have a phantom leg, but the brain strangely remembers the spinal damage leg not the walking leg. Have had phantom limb physio- it is amazing for the pain.
    It was once mentioned in a meeting that an amputee had been mentioned in university assignments, I said we haven't got an amputee, and everyone turned round and said yes we have- you!!!!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 345.81:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 21st Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 10,161 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    DNMS thank you once again for starting the new thread.

It's lovely and sunny here today, but bitterly cold. Think I should of lit the stove this morning, I won't bother now as both children are out at activities and I'm going round to wish a friend happy birthday. At least I have saved some money by not lighting it.

Woke up to find my parents had transferred over £5K, huge surprise. They have done the same for my sister. This is from some of the money they inherited from my Grandmother. My Grandmother had much larger savings than any of us realised. I just wish she had used it to carry on doing the things she enjoyed for longer, like taking a taxis to swimming and Church. Later in life she could of made her life so much easier by getting in a little support. Saying all that she lived in her flat, by herself at 95yo + up until her final hospital stay.
    I have know idea how we are going to use the money, I haven't even told OH yet, as I want to do it face to face and at a time when he is able to concentrate without his headaches causing distractions.

I'm nearly out of charge, I'll try to get back later to read what everyone has been up to.

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 10,354 Posts
    • 66,404 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi gang

I’m trying to stay positive after I lost the rag last night… You know when you know you are being quite irrational but things just get so infuriating?! I spent last night re-jigging YNAB to cover an overspend for OH’s training… fine, we had both discussed how he could do it this month and what we would have to cut back on so that he could. I’ve been trying really hard with groceries, making lunches, making sure we both have brekkie to stop canteen trips etc. Finally got the books balancing (by borrowing from other categories we will need to funnel more into next month) and OH comes in with a T’s carrier bag! I reckon he spent less than £10 but I was well annoyed. I know it’s not a major issue as there is £2k in the bank but our grocery budget has been used up this month… Now I’ve got another recoup job coming up and another £10 to find from somewhere else. OH just spends what he wants (although he hardly spends anything but that is not the point…) and I need to do the thinking of how we can get it to work.

Ooh DNMS - sounds like us with the one car!

Enjoy your day off FVD!
    I'd be cross too. It's very annoying when you are clearly turning yourself inside out to keep things going and someone else just doesn't support you.
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    • 10,354 Posts
    • 66,404 Thanks
    Bobarella
    DNMS thank you once again for starting the new thread.

It's lovely and sunny here today, but bitterly cold. Think I should of lit the stove this morning, I won't bother now as both children are out at activities and I'm going round to wish a friend happy birthday. At least I have saved some money by not lighting it.

Woke up to find my parents had transferred over £5K, huge surprise. They have done the same for my sister. This is from some of the money they inherited from my Grandmother. My Grandmother had much larger savings than any of us realised. I just wish she had used it to carry on doing the things she enjoyed for longer, like taking a taxis to swimming and Church. Later in life she could of made her life so much easier by getting in a little support. Saying all that she lived in her flat, by herself at 95yo + up until her final hospital stay.
    I have know idea how we are going to use the money, I haven't even told OH yet, as I want to do it face to face and at a time when he is able to concentrate without his headaches causing distractions.

I'm nearly out of charge, I'll try to get back later to read what everyone has been up to.
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe
    What a wonderful surprise. I hope you will enjoy the money. And I'm sure your Grandmother lived her life how she felt best. Some people live in a 'cant take it with you' manner, others want to make it easier for those coming behind. Enjoy her gift to you.
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

1,133Users online

Martin's Twitter