Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    • 6,263Posts
    • 35,454Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 20/03
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 20/03 20th Mar 17 at 6:58 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2438.68/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1435 Veg grown £169.37
Page 1
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    • 6,263 Posts
    • 35,454 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    Morning I've woken up on my 1st day of week off and the weather looks grim and set to be rum all week! First day of sunshine is set to be on the Monday of next week!

Carrie I didn't rise to the challenge I'm afraid! I'll challenge you again & I'll list at least 2 things. You in?

So now I guess today's activities will be mainly indoors! Things I need/want to do:

* do first draft of masters application & email admissions to find out submission date
    * check banking & reconcile accounts
    * flylady
    * photo and list 2 things on fleabay
    * might go for a swim later. Will see how I feel...
    * soak gammon joint in a minute
    * bake some cheese straws while oven is on to finish off gammon joint
    * have made madam's lunch for the day
    * read book for an hour
    * clean out my car
    * pot up horseradish plants given yesterday
    * water any seedlings that need it. A spout seed I had given up on germinated this morning

ok that'll do! Happy Monday guys x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 20-03-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 20th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 33,331 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for starting us off DNMS Horrible weather here too
    Woken up feeling a bit hot and headachey, so hope I am not 'getting' something Particularly as I have little GD today Anyway, just had some breakfast, and going to try some coffee - I always go off coffee when I am poorly. Have to see how it goes.

Today's plans:
    Ask OH to bring me back some bits of the brushwood on the bonfire pile at his community group HQ for free pea sticks
    Think of things to do with GD that aren't too taxing
    Check seeds in mini greenhouse thing, see if any have germinated
    2 ebay items to pack and post
    HM meals, not sure if DS is going to be here or not...
    Check banks later
    Check for surveys

Well, that doesn't sound very ambitious, but may have to do for today!

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 20th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 21,241 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Busyish weekend and very tired so just another little list

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Baking - Done (Banana cake with oats and a few choc chips, oat biscuits)
    Sort magazines for hairdresser - Done
    Wait for freeglers -
    Wait for chest of drawers to be delivered for DS's room -
    Filing & shredding -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -
    Read (need to pick a new book from shelf) -

Have a great day all!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 20-03-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 20th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 17,146 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    The weekend was over way too quickly and I feel a bit like yesterday was a wasted day. I could happily have spent another day in bed today as I still don't feel 100%, I don't know what's wrong with me. In good news though the salt water rinses for my tooth seem to also be helping my sore throat.

I've brought in breakfast and lunch today and have added a couple of things to my table top sale pile! I'm still on the email list for the last place I worked and they all had free breakfast subs this morning, bah!

I've a pile of washing to hang up tonight that I couldn't face doing yesterday but it's all folded neatly, plus another couple of loads to go in, I'm not keen on putting it on when I'm out now as a friend had a washing machine fire recently.

I might finally get around to cooking the courgette and anchovy spaghetti tonight, I just need to buy more garlic for it.

I'll probably have an early night with EastEnders to try to shake off whatever is knackering me at the moment.

Have a good day all
    Make £5 a day in July £65.73/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 6,263 Posts
    • 35,454 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    FVD I have what I consider to be a fairly strong physical reaction to dental work. So when I had the work done last week the rest of the day was a complete right off. I felt ghastly. The next day I felt like I was coming down with something, slight temp so very slightly feverish and achy. Felt like this in the evening the following 2 nights! I guess it is a combination of the pain relief, the adrenaline and the actual trauma to the body.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 20th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 17,675 Thanks
    La escocesa
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    Hi everyone

DNMS - thanks for the kick off

Hope you feel better soon FVD!

I'm on lunch, sitting away from my desk so on my phone - typos ahoy I imagine!

-packed brekkie and lunch
    -paid holiday off with holiday fund saved up
    -paid cash into bank before is frittered away...
    -updated YNAB

I made another version of our soa yesterday. Real one is our actual position based on this year's salary and last year's spending. Then did another one of just my income - OH's job ends in may - alongside how we can make it work... Basically, no holidays, cutting down on gifts, no meals out and no new clothes. Seems doable...
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 20th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 8,604 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. Been to circuits class which is part of my physio
    3. Showered using up samples of shower gel and body oil
    4. Ordered 3X£5 Debenhams e gifcards from my senses (Can't seem to get them to work on the website though so have printed them out inside)
    5. Meals from stores
    6. Surveys
    7. FPL
    8. Read free book
    9. Listen to Case File podcast
    10. Sort budget for week
    11. Update spreadsheet
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1388.02As of 14/01/17
    One debt to go
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 20th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    Afternoon moneysavers
    Was up early this morning for a hospital appointment. The weather was terrible, took my time and was slightly late, but done until the next one.
    Used up the last of the YS eggs for my daughter's breakfast this morning on 9p YS bread rolls I had sitting in the freezer.
    Parceled up the first lot of presents for my brother's birthday including my niece's present for a landmark birthday which I don't mind her opening early as she is due to go away on placement the end of March for 6 months. Using stamps from RM surveys for postage.
    Out later on for a meeting, hoping its a good one.
    Would love a NSD but need a few cat bits later. If i get everything at once I can get away with a NSD tomorrow and maybe Wednesday.

Ziggy-the banana cake sounds scrummy.
    FVD and DNMS- I don't know what I'm going to do when I next need dental work. I'm allergic to morphine so have been on lidocaine patches for a few years, hence resistant to the lidocaine at the dentist. when I last needed bits of tooth removing after I broke the root canal work, after the first injection in which I went into spasm(don't do very well with adrenaline), the dentist found it amusing to sit me in the waiting room for 10 minutes, with my arms and stump going like the clappers. My heart thought it was going to burst through my chest. we then found that despite maximum dose of injections plus all the pain relief I have at home I could still feel pain. Still have the bits of tooth but I think when the time comes it will be a hospital job unfortunately.
    I do think you feel beaten up when you have dental work done, especially if you have been carrying around toothache for a couple of days previously.
    Hoping you feel better soon FVD and DawnW I hope ur not coming down with one of the horrible bugs or colds doing the rounds at the minute.
    Off to get some washing sorted, have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 20th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 17,146 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Thanks, DNMS, it's nice to know it's not just me, (not that I want you to feel ill too but you know what I mean!) I really wanted to call in sick today but I'd have felt like such a fraud saying 'I had a tooth out on Saturday and I still feel really ill'.

HappyKitties, it's no laughing matter but it's really refreshing the way you are so matter of fact about your amputation!
    Make £5 a day in July £65.73/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • maria3104
    • By maria3104 20th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 9,511 Thanks
    maria3104
    Hi all

I am in work, have a list of 10 people to ring back and they are all not answering, so have decided to take 10 minutes out for myself. So hello all.

Home life is beginning at 4.30, I take morning tea to lambing shed and come back in the house around 8.45 to be in the office at 9! Thankfully a very short commute to the office. Apart from very chapped hands I am doing OK.

Not spending lots of money. AS£A and DD are doing the groceries and I am staying ish on target. A few of the weeks I have had surprise visitors staying with DS or calling in for the day. Calculating the loss of lambs if I leave shed to cook is quickly resulting in quick bought in goods to keep us going instead. Not a problem and it is lovely to see people. As long as they are not pregnant. Any of you pregnant money savers, please stay away from lambing sheds.

So, I am trying to stay positive about everything.DH still does not acknowledge my attempts to money save and just spends what he likes whenever. It frustrates me beyond, as it is such a waste and makes it harder for me to stay on track. Feel like I have had a good cleansing moan.

My targets for 2017 are just to get through the year sticking to my mini goals. If I am successful in doing this it will be a great thing as there have been lots and lots of challenges to date.

Keep smiling all and lets hope the sun comes out and makes everyone fell better and the grass grow! My lambs are out in raincoats and their Mums do not like them.

M
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 20th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 11,627 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Afternoon all

Been WFH so managed to stay away from most of the ghastly rain - apart from popping to town with DH to get a gift for FIL birthday (the rain not the gift )
    Good new is that DH car passed it's MOT This means we can now sell it rather than scrap it It's not worth a huge amount, but worth much more with 12 months MOT than without
    Meals from stores including freezer dive for some mackerel for tea and some slices of cake/bread type thing for snack
    Checked banking, updated sheet
    check surveys and FPL later
    Move money for FIL gift from present piggy to current account
    Must confess to having heating on low this morning, was definitely chilly and I needed to get some of the washing dry
    Ordered some spices for us from an online store (much cheaper than supermarkets, even ethnic ones) whilst I ordered a gift for friends birthday - split cost between present fund and food kitty
    DH made soup for work food for next couple of days and nipped to ald! for a couple of bits including some super 6 items.

All this talk of dentist is making my teeth hurt one of my least favourite things to do ever, ever, ever. And as for the hygienist forget it - its not the pain, I just squirm away from the noise - and they don't like that apparently
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi All

It's pouring down here. DS is off with a small injury so for once im not on the school run at this time! Or I'd be soaked

Instead have a lovely sleeping DD napping on me, and time to chill for a bit.

Small things.

1. Checked banking. Reconciled accounts.

2. Tried to set up online banking for my son's Junior ISA. Failed so called them. Apparently they don't have my DOB saved so I need to go into branch with ID. That's fine as I have a cheque for both of them to pay in anyway.

3. Did a fridge audit. I needed to go shopping today as I had purposely been on operation use it up all weekend. But can't drag DS out when he's not up to it. So it's odd and weird creative combo in our house today.

4. Transferred £100 to our account from the joint. This month which is over for us on Sunday I have only needed to top us up by £193 which is way lower than the £500 I had in mind. I think lots of little things are adding up in our favour. OH works from home quite a lot now so his weekly costs have gone right down. I've been shopping in a different way, buying the biggest size, spending more but spending less frequently. It all just help. With all the carp going on it's comforting to know I could give up work and only need a couple of hundred a month to keep us going.

5. Warmed up some scones that seemed stale. They were delicious again, goes to show not much needs to go in the bin.

6. No travel spends today and indeed a NSD.

7. DSs account had £24 interest when I checked.

8. Keeping warm with blankets now we've turned the heating off again. I'm not going back

9. Use up leftovers for the kids tea tonight, DD throws half hers on the floor anyway!

10. Planned my day tommorow to include a special trip to the area where the building society is. Never go there but won't have to again once the online banking is set up hopefully.

All for now.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 20th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 16,923 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Monday Penny Savers,
    Am feeling rather low in mood today, which is unlike me, so have given into it by taking to the sofa with cafetiere, hot water bottle, TV & coffee. Have achieved a few money saving bits & pieces but not had my planned morning in the veggie garden building my strawberry construction because of all this rain. Booo!
    *Cheap overnight laundry done. On heated airer. Washer reloaded to go on timer again tonight.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Unpacked my Spring/Summer clothes & started packing away my Winter stuff. I shouldn't need to buy anything except some sandals......as I threw my 10 year old pair in the bin last September.
    *Alter one garment that is too big. Have tacked it. Will hand sew tonight. My machine doesn't like stretchy material.
    *Found a skirt & poss a dress for ebay.
    *Talking of which.......we had another sale last night so wrapped that in recycled bubblewrap & paper.
    *Started analysing CC to solve why it is so high this month. There have been some big payments made with it but I have paid the equuvalent money across from bank account so that shouldn't be the problem. Will study it properly with receipts on my next big budget day.
    *Did an Ipsos survey.
    *Entered 1 competition & 1 prize draw.
    *Made pasta salad for lunch to use up last tiny bit of l/o pasta.
    *Sock knitting.
    *Still using up a lippy by getting last of it out with a brush.
    *Investigated Premium Bonds.....as in whether it's worth having them, given that interest rates are so poor.....& still falling. Didn't come to a conclusion either way as the odds are against winning, but of course the chance is still there.
    On a positive note, today is a low calorie strict day & I am being angelic!
    Love to all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £360
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £210
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 20th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 16,923 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Maria - lovely to hear about the lambs. I always think lambs are just so joyful!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £360
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £210
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Mar 17, 5:58 PM
    • 6,263 Posts
    • 35,454 Thanks
    determined new ms
    boo sucks! I had booked to do a breakfast ms assignment for £20. Was going to do it tomorrow on my way to the staff conference. Oh's car has had a problem and he has had to have it towed to the garage. Meaning tomorrow (and days to follow) are going to be trickier! Was looking forward to being paid for a treat as well!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 20th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 33,331 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Thanks for starting us off DNMS Horrible weather here too
    Woken up feeling a bit hot and headachey, so hope I am not 'getting' something Particularly as I have little GD today Anyway, just had some breakfast, and going to try some coffee - I always go off coffee when I am poorly. Have to see how it goes.

Today's plans:
    Ask OH to bring me back some bits of the brushwood on the bonfire pile at his community group HQ for free pea sticks The kids wanted stuff doing, so he didn't get there. Will ask another time.
    Think of things to do with GD that aren't too taxing Apart from playing with the dog and doing a bit of colouring, she spent most of the time watching cartoons on my phone She was only here for a couple of hours while her mum had an appointment, so no big deal really.
    Check seeds in mini greenhouse thing, see if any have germinated Not done
    2 ebay items to pack and post I packed these and OH went to the post office for me The non paying buyer has now paid, but has sent me 2 different versions of her address, so am currently waiting for her to confirm which one is correct. Hope to finally post this one tomorrow!
    Relisted a few items that hadn't sold
    HM meals, not sure if DS is going to be here or not... OH did stuffed jacket potatoes
    Check banks later Not done yet
    Check for surveys Nor this

Well, that doesn't sound very ambitious, but may have to do for today!
    Originally posted by DawnW
    I went to bed after lunch, after DD had picked up the little one, and have only just got up. I slept for a few hours, and feel a bit better now. Still raining and horrible outside, but it isn't cold, so no wood burner tonight, first time this year without it! Hoping to feel ok tomorrow, as I need to go out and buy a birthday present for GD2 who is 10 on Friday She wants red or blue trainers and some hair mascara (answers on a postcard please ).

On other news, DS is looking for a place to rent now, which, while it has been nice to have him here for a while, it will be good to have our own space back, and likewise for him - it must be difficult moving back in with parents when you are 40

Hoping normal service will be resumed tomorrow, both for me and other poorlies on the thread

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 20th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 17,146 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I'm back in bed again, I did do the washing up and have put another load in the washing machine but all other jobs can wait. I didn't even cook properly, DS And DSGF have a ready meal and I picked up some YS pasta salad for their lunch tomorrow (only slightly reduced, I'm not feeling up to the usual bun fight for the mega reductions! I'm having a jacket potato and cheese which is all I fancy.

Have a lovely evening all! (first iPad attempt at 'lovely' was 'little belly'
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 20th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Just went to get one of the ebay items and there's a chunk missing can't sell it like that. may as well chuck it.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8741.84
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 20th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 17,146 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Hate it when that happens, it's not like eBay is a hive of activity at the moment anyway (for me at least.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

243Posts Today

1,244Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin