Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ed_Zep
    • By Ed_Zep 19th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 289Posts
    • 254Thanks
    Ed_Zep
    Brickwork Question
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    Brickwork Question 19th Mar 17 at 11:35 PM
    Hi,

I was thinking of viewing this house and noticed that some re-pointing had been done. I was wondering if it could be subsidence or are there any other reasons you can think of that this kind of work could have been done?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47167938.html

Thanks,
    Ed.
    Last edited by Ed_Zep; 20-03-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Page 1
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    I'd guess that there was some movement due to the drainage or water at the front of the house. My new house had something similar happen 15 years ago. A burst pipe I think. There's been no movement since then.

Edit: It really is just a guess though...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 20th Mar 17, 1:27 AM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:27 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:27 AM
    Looks as if something has been going on around that corner.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 20th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 23,048 Posts
    • 64,810 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    I'm sure this is a great example of how movement cracks point towards the source of the problem.

Prime suspect is/was that rainwater downpipe.

Question is, has it been dealt with?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Gorecki
    • By Gorecki 20th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Gorecki
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    I'd be happy to view and obviously ask what the cause was.
    The re-pointing "appears" to be there in 2008 and possibly relates to the odd half-extension thing settling (I'm guessing it's an extension?). If so, I'd double check the relevant permissions were in place for it.

2008 https://goo.gl/maps/K3sKGWkbZcB2
    2012 https://goo.gl/maps/yMurWyvF1EL2
    Last edited by Gorecki; 20-03-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 20th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    Could be 'historical movement' so nothing to worry about. I'd view the place as normal but get a full structural survey should you decide to buy.

The fact that the pointing has been replaced suggests the previous owner has kept an eye on the maintenance of the place - unless it's very freshly done, and they're painting over the cracks in order to sell...!
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 20th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 5,247 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    Could be 'historical movement' so nothing to worry about. I'd view the place as normal but get a full structural survey should you decide to buy.

The fact that the pointing has been replaced suggests the previous owner has kept an eye on the maintenance of the place - unless it's very freshly done, and they're painting over the cracks in order to sell...!
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    I agree with this, basically it's either good news or bad news, which is probably no help.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 20th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    I knew that there was something odd about that pillar that is holding up the front part of the wall over the doorway. You have to find the front garden gate which is quite difficult but if you look at the wheelie bins they are standing on the path. Next to the hedge is a wooden post. This is the gate post for the now long gone gate. If you then follow the path under the bins and up to the front door you are met by that large post which is right in the middle of the way up to the front door. I don't think the house was built like that. I think that the post and the support for the wall is a replacement. Some of the cracks go round the corner above that pillar.

It looks to me as if something started to move on that corner of the house and it has affected whatever was in the door entrance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,815Posts Today

7,312Users online

Martin's Twitter