Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiggs90
    • By tiggs90 19th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tiggs90
    S&s isa
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    S&s isa 19th Mar 17 at 9:23 PM
    Hi all,

My first post so go easy on me!

I'm 26 & currently saving money in a cash ISA. I am looking to get a house within the next year or so.

I have a Hargreaves Lansdown account and im looking at opening a S&S ISA. As im looking to buy a house im not going to save much in this account as i realise you want to be able to leave the money safe for a good amount of time.

Does anyone have any advice as to what my best options are? I assume using the ISA is the best way to get into these tracker fund type things? And i have seen vanguard 60 / 80 mentioned a lot, are these "generally" the one to go for?

I realise these depend a lot on circumstances but im mainly starting the account to dip my feet into the S&S and to get an understanding of it. Plus hopefully getting some money in there while im fairly young could help me for long term compound gains.

I dont mind slightly higher risk as im somewhat forgetting about the money going into it for now (although i suppose any stock / share account you need to do that for the first few years)

Thanks
Page 1
    • jdw2000
    • By jdw2000 19th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    jdw2000
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    Hi all,

My first post so go easy on me!

I'm 26 & currently saving money in a cash ISA. I am looking to get a house within the next year or so.

I have a Hargreaves Lansdown account and im looking at opening a S&S ISA. As im looking to buy a house im not going to save much in this account as i realise you want to be able to leave the money safe for a good amount of time.

Does anyone have any advice as to what my best options are? I assume using the ISA is the best way to get into these tracker fund type things? And i have seen vanguard 60 / 80 mentioned a lot, are these "generally" the one to go for?

I realise these depend a lot on circumstances but im mainly starting the account to dip my feet into the S&S and to get an understanding of it. Plus hopefully getting some money in there while im fairly young could help me for long term compound gains.

I dont mind slightly higher risk as im somewhat forgetting about the money going into it for now (although i suppose any stock / share account you need to do that for the first few years)

Thanks
    Originally posted by tiggs90
    Hello, and welcome. When will you be needing this money? Is your house money a separate account/fund?
    • tiggs90
    • By tiggs90 19th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tiggs90
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    Hi! No particular time or reason currently.

House deposit money is staying in cash ISA and im planning on still putting approx 80% of my savings monthly into this to help it on its way(its useless but safe!)

The reason for looking into the S&S tracker is just because i want to begin investing money - it has no particular reason or end point.

Thanks
    • jdw2000
    • By jdw2000 19th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    jdw2000
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    Based on what you've said, I'd just start a S&S ISA with one of the funds you've already mentioned.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

6,871Users online

Martin's Twitter