Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 7,236Posts
    • 5,134Thanks
    esuhl
    Dynamic DNS (basic questions)
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    Dynamic DNS (basic questions) 19th Mar 17 at 10:06 PM
    I have a friend with a domestic CCTV system. He's just changed ISP and got a new router and asked for help as he couldn't access any cameras.

I got everything working over the LAN, but he can't access the cameras over the internet.

It seems he was using some kind of Samsung DDNS service previously (he has the details). I looked in the router settings, but there are only three DDNS providers you can select -- none of them Samsung, and they only appear to offer paid services. My friend reckons the Samsung DDNS service was free.

The host name he has is something.websamsung.net (Where "something" is an alphanumeric string.)

The only service providers listed in the router settings are:
    www.DynDNS.org
    www.noip.com
    www.dyns.cx

I've never used DDNS before, so I'm not really sure how to set it up.

Can anyone help?
Page 2
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 20th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    rtho782
    I imagine his cameras are samsung cameras and the old DNS was part of the samsung camera software.

Depending on his ISP, his IP address (even if dynamic) is likely pretty static in reality (unless he does silly things like turning his router off at night). You might not even need dynamic dns.

I've had the same IP on plusnet for about 3 years. Same with my Virgin Media connection.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: 13,000 / 15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: 6,000 / 7,500
    • spud17
    • By spud17 20th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    spud17
    Hopefully this post doesn't get deleted.
    I use no-ip on my Netgear DG834GT router, if you look hard enough, there is a free option, but you have to login every 30 days to keep the account alive.
    They email you a few days in advance as a warning.
    Only takes seconds to login and solve the catchpa.

https://www.noip.com/sign-up
    Last edited by spud17; 20-03-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    After 10+ years on here, for the first time, I've been forced to put 2 usernames on my ignore list, in reality it's just one person ignored.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 20th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    S0litaire
    I've moved over to DuckDNS (http://www.duckdns.org/) from No-IP.
    It's the same sort of thing, no frills and free with none of this 30 day activation
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 20th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 7,236 Posts
    • 5,134 Thanks
    esuhl
    I use no-ip on my Netgear DG834GT router, if you look hard enough, there is a free option, but you have to login every 30 days to keep the account alive.
    Originally posted by spud17
    Oh yeah -- I think I saw that, but... my friend isn't exactly "hands on" when it comes to computers. There's no way he'll remember (or be bothered) to login regularly.

I've pretty much given up. He's not sure what the DDNS settings are, and... doesn't seem that bothered about fixing it for now. So there's not much more I can do :-/

Thanks again, everyone. I think I understand DDNS and CCTV systems a little bit better, at least.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,738Posts Today

8,448Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin