Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Turtle
    • By Turtle 19th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 937Posts
    • 2,520Thanks
    Turtle
    S&S ISAs, got one, but a few questions
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    S&S ISAs, got one, but a few questions 19th Mar 17 at 9:51 PM
    Hello all

Bit of background. I've got a S&S ISA with L&G value around £16k. The majority of the value is in the FTSE All Share and about £1k in Emerging Markets. Both are R class funds and the OCF is 0.56% for the all share and 0.97% for emerging markets. At the moment I pay in £200 a month to the all share and was thinking about increasing this to £250.

I know it's a good idea to be more diversified and I was wondering a few things:
    Do L&G have a fund that's similar to the Vanguard series?

Might I be better off transferring to Charles Stanley into a VLS fund? The charges seem a lot lower (0.22%). I might be missing something with the charges as there seems to be a few different ones (potentially).

Switching providers makes me a bit nervous. How long does it take roughly and I assume it's possible for the market to crash (or rise) whist things are transferring and your new investment isn't worth as much as it was with the original provider. The value going up and down doesn't bother me at all, but losing value whilst transferring feels different somehow.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Please ask more questions if I haven't provided enough info.

Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    • 88,131 Posts
    • 53,357 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    Do L&G have a fund that's similar to the Vanguard series?
    L&G have a very wide range of single sector funds. There were doing it in the UK long before vanguard.

Might I be better off transferring to Charles Stanley into a VLS fund?
    Multi-asset solution would seem a better idea than single sector funds given your small amounts.

How long does it take roughly and I assume it's possible for the market to crash (or rise) whist things are transferring and your new investment isn't worth as much as it was with the original provider.
    On cash transfers you will be out of the market for about 3-5 days during transfer.

The value going up and down doesn't bother me at all, but losing value whilst transferring feels different somehow.
    You are badly invested at the moment. Your decisions have cost you money. So, do you wish to prolong it or get in an appropriate multi-asset fund as quickly as possible?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Turtle
    • By Turtle 20th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    Turtle
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    Thanks. The Vanguard I was thinking of was VLS which is multi sector isn't it? I assume transferring to single sector vanguard is no better than what I've got now. I'll look into transferring when I get home from work. It's been on my mind for some time and I k ow procrastinating has cost me however people are guilty of worse crimes!

• bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 6,408 Posts
    • 11,343 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    Yes, L&G do have multi asset funds (equities invested globally and other asset classes such as bonds) on their "customer goes direct to the fund manager" offering. Take a look through the funds on the list and you'll see them.

However, the range offered direct through their ISA offering on their own site is not so broad as the full range of products they offer through the fund supermarket platforms and advisor platforms.

So if you were targeting a specific asset mix not catered for in their simple direct solution, you could move to a fund supermarket and see all their funds laid out and available alongside other managers' funds.You would then pay a specific fee for the platform service but get access to the L&G funds at their "clean" unbundled price rather than the "full RRP" rate which you have at the moment. If you used Charles Stanley Direct, the platform fee is not bad so you might do better than the class R pricing you currently have. The question is just whether you really want that extra flexibility of 2000+ funds on the shelf. For many it would be a curse rather than a blessing.

I agree with both you and Dunstonh that the current mix is garbage and you'd be better served with a multi asset fund from one of the major providers. I'll be moving a chunk of my dad's holdings to L&G Multi Index series after he switches platforms in a few months. That's not to say that L&G direct have nothing appropriate.
    • Turtle
    • By Turtle 20th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    Turtle
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    Thanks both. Funny how the green smilie takes the sting out of the words! I don't want this all to get complicated, which I fear it could do. As such, I've made a decision to transfer to Charles Stanley and invest in their VLS80. My husband is with them and it's all quite straightforward. At least then I don't need to worry about the diversification as they will worry about it for me ��

• Turtle
    • By Turtle 10th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    Turtle
    • 10th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    Thanks for the kick up the bum both. I'm now all transferred to Charles Stanley in their VLS 80 Acc fund, with a £300 monthly DD set up.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,294Users online

Martin's Twitter