Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • goatfertility
    • By goatfertility 19th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 13Thanks
    goatfertility
    Has my car had it?
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    Has my car had it? 19th Mar 17 at 9:16 PM
    I'm not sure what to do about my car so I'm looking for some second opinion.

I've had it from new. It's a 2006 Ford Focus Diesel with 125k clocked up. It feels like it's basically dying on me slowly and I'm questioning whether or not it's time move on.

There's no way it will pass it's next MoT. Here's the litany of issues right now.

The switch to go between dipped and high beams is shot. The contacts on the switch are faulty and the whole stalk is usually replaced - £100+

There's an intermittent metallic 'jingling' sound that you can hear whilst driving it. It's not clear where it's coming from. It's quite faint but you can hear it at speed especially when taking a bend.

It pulls to the right, big time. The wheel needs to be at an angle to go straight.

Electrical gremlins. The wipers don't come on any more, unless you hit the left indicator. That gets them on. The headlights also have a mind of their own, and are now stuck on.

It's a shame because the car is amazingly efficient and tax is only £35 per year. The belts are also over due. And the clutch will likely give out, too (although it's not showing any issues at present)

For the same price as getting all this fixed, I can't help but think I could just get another car of it's vintage for the same price.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by goatfertility; 25-03-2017 at 1:41 PM.
Page 1
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 19th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    Has it got full /regular service record......If no...Get shot
    • fordfocus-chav-car
    • By fordfocus-chav-car 19th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    fordfocus-chav-car
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    agree unless you can fix these issues yourself, they are going to be expensive... Time to let go
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 20th Mar 17, 6:53 AM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:53 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:53 AM
    I hope you're not driving this heap on the road.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 20th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    given the fact that your main beam/dip beam stalk is faulty, your other electrical gremlins could be related to that Ebay is your friend and replace them yourself.

Pulling to the right, assuming it's not under braking could just mean the tracking is out.

Providing the clutch hasn't been abused ie riding the clutch, wheel spinning etc they should go on for well over 100,000 miles

The slight mettalic noise could be anything, even something as simple as a loose heatsheild.

The rest and probably some of the faults mentioned are down to poor maintenance, especially if the belts are overdue.

That said, I see no point in getting rid only to by another car of similar vintage, you know this car, you've had it from new, you could easily end up with with another crock of poo that will need a lot of money spending on it in a year or so
    Last edited by interstellaflyer; 20-03-2017 at 7:40 AM.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 20th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 6,309 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    The car needs maintenance and repairs. Find out what it will cost to fix the faults and change the belts.

How long has it been pulling to the right? Front wheel tracking is about £30.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 20-03-2017 at 9:02 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Mar 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:06 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:06 AM
    I hope you're not driving this heap on the road.
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    Quite. Driving around with faulty headlights and wipers that only come on when you indicate is irresponsible. The next MoT may be a while away but OP has a responsibility to ensure the car's safe and roadworthy all year round, not just on the day of the test.

In summary, stop driving it and get rid.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 13,769 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    I've had it from new.
    Originally posted by goatfertility
    Whatever you get to replace it will suffer from similar maladies unless your attitude to maintenance changes drastically.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 20th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    It sounds as if the majority of issues are related to the electrics attached around the steering column.

That might not be too tricky and worth pricing I imagine it comes as one unit (Renault expert will know) but will need steering wheel off, air bag disarmed etc.

It might not be as bad as you think. Go and find out and ask for a pre MOT check add it all up and then decide.
    The best government is the government that governs least
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Seems odd that the indicator would control the wipers, given that they should be on opposite stalks....... It sounds to me like somebody has been messing with it.

OP you don't mention when these faults first started to appear, if you'd addressed them before they became a real issue, you wouldn't be in the position your in now.
    Last edited by Strider590; 20-03-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 13,769 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Seems odd that the indicator would control the wipers, given that they should be on opposite stalks....... It sounds to me like somebody has been messing with it.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Multiplexing...
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Multiplexing...
    Originally posted by AdrianC

That wouldn't explain it, not unless the stalks operated on a switch array/matrix, but if that was the case, then the more likely suspect would be a switch stuck in the closed position.

Regardless I just found the full replacement stalks unit on eBay for under £50.

OP has let this car get into such a state that even i'm not convinced i'd want to keep it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • facade
    • By facade 20th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 1,480 Thanks
    facade
    That wouldn't explain it, not unless the stalks operated on a switch array/matrix, but if that was the case, then the more likely suspect would be a switch stuck in the closed position.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    They do.
    Renault (& Nissan on their Renault based models) use this absolutely dreadful system where all the column switches are encoders, that provide input signals to the BECM or IPDM in Renault/Nissan speak.

Somehow, replacing the old fashioned "wire goes from switch to headlight" with "multiple wires go from switch to box placed where water can get at it full of flaky electronics" then "wire goes from box to headlight" is better

So much for the old adage "the most reliable component is the one that isn't there" which is how we used to work when I worked at Lucas
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 20th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Post removed due to incorrect info !!
    Apologies & thanks to AdrianC for pointing out my error.
    Last edited by firefox1956; 20-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 13,769 Thanks
    AdrianC
    @ goatfertility
    You do know that your tax will now be £140.00 per year ??
    HTH
    Originally posted by firefox1956
    <sigh> No, it won't. Not unless he's buying a brand new car first registered after 1st April.
    • JP08
    • By JP08 20th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    JP08
    So much for the old adage "the most reliable component is the one that isn't there" which is how we used to work when I worked at Lucas
    Originally posted by facade
    From what I remember about Lucas electrics in the old bangers I used to run that was definitely the case. Certainly wasn't any reliability with the components they did supply.

Wasn't Lucas once referred to as being the automotive Prince of Darkness - cos that's what you got on a cold damp morning ?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 13,769 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 20th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Rain Shadow

Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by goatfertility

Yaris.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • facade
    • By facade 20th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 1,480 Thanks
    facade
    From what I remember about Lucas electrics in the old bangers I used to run that was definitely the case. Certainly wasn't any reliability with the components they did supply.

Wasn't Lucas once referred to as being the automotive Prince of Darkness - cos that's what you got on a cold damp morning ?
    Originally posted by JP08
    The wires were fine, lovely and thick and came in multiple colours, (not just white), it was the stuff connected to them that broke- usually corrosion at the crimped on connectors, but dead easy to fix.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 20th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    OK....

The switch between dipped and high beams being shot and the headlights being on all the time are all related as is, I suspect, the wipers.

You need to replace both the indicator and wiper stalks. The indicator stalk is causing both the issues with dipped and main beam and the headlights to be on because its basically in "flash" mode due to worn contacts/plastic bits inside the stalk. Yes from a dealer they're £100+ but from a scrapyard or even Ebay you'll get both for less than £59 delivered and its possible to fit them yourself or its an hours labour at a garage.

The pulling to the right is most likely tracking. All cars need it done at some time or another and its £30.

The metallic jingling sound is likely to be a loose exhaust heatshield and a minimal repair cost because all a tyre and exhaust place would do is put a larger washer on it or take it off altogether.

The belts do need doing though.

You say for what it would cost to do it you could get another car of the same vintage but there's a high chance another car of the same vintage is going to want the belts doing, the clutch may be as worn as yours and its likely to have different faults. You're literally taking a gamble if you buy a car as to whether its worse than yours or not for that money.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 20-03-2017 at 9:30 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

69Posts Today

3,158Users online

Martin's Twitter