Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flathunting
    • By flathunting 19th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    flathunting
    Dependents and mortgages
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    Dependents and mortgages 19th Mar 17 at 9:08 PM
    Hi everyone,

It would be great if I can have some advice/people's experiences on how having kids/dependents affect the affordability calculations when applying for a mortgage please. Do all lenders reduce the amount you can borrow when you have kids?

The reason I ask is I'm currently having a bit of a dilemma about how I should proceed in the near future. Currently I live in a 2 bed terrace house with my fianc! which I bought in 2013. The mortgage payments are low and really affordable for us. After we get married, we are looking to start a family and so we are unsure whether to sell and buy a bigger house initially before we have kids (in case having kids really affects the amount a lender would let us borrow.) Or whether to stay put and move in a few years when there is a greater need to assuming all goes well.

Many thanks for any help/experiences.
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 19th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 15,044 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    ACG
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    In short, it comes down to your circumstances. Some lenders will reduce if you have kids, some will not. There is no black and white answer and it could change 100 times between now and 2-3 years down the line.

If you are looking to stretch your incomes, then I imagine it would be best to do it before having kids. Best bet is to jump on a few affordability calculators and have a play about. Try 5-6 lenders with and without and you will see how much they all vary.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 19th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    glosoli
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    The number of dependants can influence the affordability calculations a lender does, particularly if they base their calculations on the ONS figures based on the household of your size. So for example, if you have two children then it would be based on the average expenditure nationwide for two adult and two children. Child benefit, if taken into consideration, can go some way in negating the impact of this however.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,745Posts Today

6,911Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin