Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JED1988
    • By JED1988 19th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JED1988
    0 WOW
    Pre-paid or credit card when going away??
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    0 WOW
    Pre-paid or credit card when going away?? 19th Mar 17 at 9:04 PM
    I know this is an age old argument "when do I buy my currency" so I'm not after an exact science answer just people's opinions...

I am going away mid April (4 weeks) and looking at currency now. I've been reading all of the blogs, forums and guidelines and have come to the conclusion that I am going to put the majority of my money on to a card to take away with me.

However, I don't know which type of card would be better. From what I gather I have 2 options:-

Option 1
    The 'revolut' pre-paid MasterCard.
    Lock in an exchange rate, allows me to withdraw 200 if I need to while away. No fees for paying or withdrawing. This could be a good option what with the impending Brexit decision over the next few weeks and the possibility of a falling pound

Option 2
    The Halifax credit card
    Spend what I need, no worrying about having leftover money to transfer back, unable to take cash out though so will need to factor this in to the cash/card split.
    Exchange rate is that on the day of spending. This could be beneficial but could also be risky with the upcoming news.

As I said above, what are people's thoughts an opinions on this.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    Take both Revolut and Clarity, don't rely on only one card.

No reason why cash cannot be withdrawn with Clarity, daily interest is minimal and avoided by paying off early.

Exchange rates are not significantly affected by events that are certain to occur.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 20th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 7,272 Posts
    • 4,686 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    Clarity is easily the best bet; no charges, no funding upfront (which would need you to know how much you might want to spend), only a few pence in interest at the end of the month.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 6,217 Posts
    • 7,576 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    Exchange rate is that on the day of spending. This could be beneficial but could also be risky with the upcoming news.

As I said above, what are people's thoughts an opinions on this.
    You are a holiday maker not a currency dealer. You're talking about a few hundred quid in bars and restaurants. "Upcoming news" is pretty much priced into the markets anyway if you mean Brexit.

What I'm trying to say is focus on what you know. Get the best possible exchange rates (Clarity, Creation Everyday, Revolut). Take numerous back up cards. Have a great holiday.
    • takman
    • By takman 21st Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    takman
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    I have the Halifax Clarity Credit Card which i have always used as my primary card for cash withdrawals and spending abroad.

I wouldn't bother with the Revolut card because you don't get as good an exchange rate. If you want pre-paid then the Monzo card seems to be the best by far. It charges no fees for withdrawing cash or spending abroad and offers a "perfect" exchange rate just like the Halifax Clarity Credit Card and its free.
    Last edited by takman; 21-03-2017 at 4:33 PM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 21st Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    Clarity is easily the best bet; no charges, no funding upfront (which would need you to know how much you might want to spend),
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Unlike older style prepaid cards, with Revolut there is no need to predict how much you will spend. You can keep your funds in pounds, or exchange any excess $/ back to pounds, then spend or withdraw to your bank account without any fees.
    I wouldn't bother with the Revolut card because you don't get as good an exchange rate.
    Originally posted by takman
    The straight interbank rate given by Revolut (weekdays) is almost always better than the MasterCard rate of Clarity or Monzo, although the difference is not much.
    • takman
    • By takman 21st Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    takman
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    Unlike older style prepaid cards, with Revolut there is no need to predict how much you will spend. You can keep your funds in pounds, or exchange any excess $/€ back to pounds, then spend or withdraw to your bank account without any fees.
    The straight interbank rate given by Revolut (weekdays) is almost always better than the MasterCard rate of Clarity or Monzo, although the difference is not much.
    Originally posted by eDicky

It seems i got that wrong. The only downside to Revolut is the 200 a month limit on ATM withdrawals and you have to pay 5 to get the actual card.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 26th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7,272 Posts
    • 4,686 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 26th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 26th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    The only downside to Revolut is the 200 a month limit on ATM withdrawals and you have to pay 5 to get the actual card.
    Originally posted by takman
    Wow, that's a massive downside! It makes it pointless.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,449Posts Today

6,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin