Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 19th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 5,728Posts
    • 8,665Thanks
    19lottie82
    Best Mobile sub £150?
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    Best Mobile sub £150? 19th Mar 17 at 9:01 PM
    I'm looking for a handset for a friend...... must be android, unlocked, have an internal memory of at least 32gb and also be dual sim. Budget is £150....... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Lottie
Page 1
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    moto G4 dual sim should fit the bill. But it only have 16GB memory, but you can get micro-sd anyway...

Personally do go for new G5 dual sim for a little bit extra.

By the way, I don't know if there are other brand dual sim phone work with all UK 4G band frequency in both sim slot.
    It usually be sim 1 with 4G, sim 2 with 2G.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 20th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    I have this from linked seller. Reliable delivery, about 13 days from Hong Kong warehouse using Post NL tracked and Paypal.
    Excellent phone. http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_361292.html?wid=11
    Ticks all the boxes required.
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 20-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 20th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    This white one from John Lewis is Dual Sim, but does not state in spec

https://www.johnlewis.com/moto-g4-smartphone-android-5-5-4g-lte-sim-free-16gb-white/p2849369
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 20th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    I have this from linked seller. Reliable delivery, about 13 days from Hong Kong warehouse using Post NL tracked and Paypal.
    Excellent phone. http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_361292.html?wid=11
    Is there Vat and Excise import duty payable??
    • Herongull
    • By Herongull 20th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Herongull
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    Cubot Dinosaur gets good reviews and sells for £100 in the UK which is excellent value given its spec. Only has 16Gb internal memory but it takes a 32GB SD card.
    http://www.cubot.net/smartphones/dinosaur/
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 20th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 5,623 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    The main advantage of the moto phones over any of the others mentioned is that they seem to get updates, especially security ones, quickly
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Mr.E.Schoppa
    • By Mr.E.Schoppa 21st Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Mr.E.Schoppa
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    Just like over on HotUKDeals, I do get annoyed when people recommend dodgy name phones from the likes of Gearbest, AliExpress etc.

Buy an import phone from these guys, and you'll get no warranty of any kind.

Keep it to a UK retailer, that way you'll have peace of mind from a one or perhaps two year proper warranty.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 21st Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    Just like over on HotUKDeals, I do get annoyed when people recommend dodgy name phones from the likes of Gearbest, AliExpress etc.
    Also nobody mentions the fact there may be VAT and Excise duty payable and if not the goods are likely be seized before delivery
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 21st Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Is there Vat and Excise import duty payable??
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Never had to pay anything yet and I have bought a few items over £100 and just under.
    It seems to depend on the shipping method chosen i.e. Post NL or a different non express carrier.
    I have used three China based sellers and never had any issues re V.A.T. or other duty.

The UMI phone has had a few updates too, including Android 6 to 7 last month.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • jadex
    • By jadex 22nd Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    jadex
    I personally would avoid mobiles imported from China.
    I know some people swear by them.
    But my personal experience was bad.
    One (Cubot X16) bought from Amazon so was easy enough to send it back when its screen stopped working properly after 2 months.
    Another one (Ulefone Paris) bought from ebay and boy oh boy - what pile of crap it was. Buggy, popped up windows with some dodgy ads, trojans, malware, some strange wallpapers appearing out of nowhere, apps which you weren't able to get rid of (like Alibaba) as they reinstalled themselves, you name it.
    If things like rooting, custom ROMs, etc.mean nothing to your friend then better stick to Motorola, LG, Samsung, etc. from UK seller.
    Just my 2p
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 22nd Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    Never had to pay anything yet and I have bought a few items over £100 and just under.
    It seems to depend on the shipping method chosen i.e. Post NL or a different non express carrier.
    I will avoid this, its illegal and should not be promoted on this site
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 22nd Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    I will avoid this, its illegal and should not be promoted on this site
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    There's a value threshold, (£125? ... not sure...) below which import duty is not applicable on an item.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 22nd Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    The UMI phone has had a few updates too, including Android 6 to 7 last month.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Is the second SIM slot on this phone a 'hybrid'? Meaning that you can use it either for a second SIM or for a memory card, but you cannot have both at the same time. I noticed while in Asia recently that the new dual-SIM models of most brands now have this hybrid second slot, so beware what you're buying if you need both the two SIMs and an SD card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,181Posts Today

6,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin