Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minibbb
    • By minibbb 19th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 316Posts
    • 76Thanks
    minibbb
    How to fight a landlords excessive cost for consent to let (leasehold)
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    How to fight a landlords excessive cost for consent to let (leasehold) 19th Mar 17 at 8:44 PM
    Good evening all

I was hoping for some advice for my inlaws please. They purchased from me in Jan 2014 my one bedroom leasehold flat on a buy to let mortgage to let it out. The managing agent gave them consent to let (verbally).

Since then the landlord's solicitors have been pestering them for £4K for formal consent to let plus a £500 admin fee. They state the previous managing agent did not have the authority to grant consent.

They tried to do everything by the books and are taking up matters with their solicitor who acted for them during the purchase as they don't believe they were properly advised re any possible charges like this.

I am aware that the landlord "cannot unreasonably withhold consent to let". Surely charges of 4.5K are being unreasonable? Their latest letter is threatening court action if they don't pay up.

I paid the 18K to extend the lease before I sold it. I think everyone in the block has extended their lease now so looks like the landlord is looking to drum up some more money.

Have any landlords been able to contest charges like this or does it look likely they'll have to pay it?
Page 1
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 19th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,161 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    Sack the agent, they work for you, appoint your own.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 19th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 4,996 Thanks
    anselld
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    What? They could be sacked through collective Right-to-Manage, but otherwise they work for the Landlord.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 19th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    Have a look at www.lease-advice.org
    • Freecall
    • By Freecall 19th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    Freecall
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    No they don't. They are appointed by the landlord, how could they possibly be appointed by one single leaseholder?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 5,229 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    Since then the landlord's solicitors have been pestering them for £4K for formal consent to let plus a £500 admin fee.
    Originally posted by minibbb
    In 2012, some leaseholders took their freeholders to the Upper Tribunal, on the basis that the freeholders' fees for consent to let were unreasonable.

The tribunal determined that a fee of £40 should be payable, as that was reasonable.

It might be worth pointing your freeholder towards that ruling. (Although, perhaps there are special circumstances in your case.)

See: http://landschamber.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk//Aspx/view.aspx?id=823 (and download the the document).
    • minibbb
    • By minibbb 19th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    minibbb
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    Some really helpful replies thanks everyone! Been looking at the lease advice site which looks handy as does the stated case above!

Fingers crossed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter