Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 19th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2,655Posts
    • 1,485Thanks
    Annie1960
    American Fridge-Freezers
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    American Fridge-Freezers 19th Mar 17 at 8:02 PM
    I've had a look on the John Lewis website, and there seems to be a difference between the plumbed-in ones versus the non-plumbed-in ones.

What are the pros and cons of plumbing in as opposed to not plumbing in?

The kitchen will be ripped out anyway so there is scope to plumb in if there is an advantage to this.
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 19th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    Plumbed in I think will have either a water cooler or ice cube maker built in
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 19th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    EssexExile
    The plumbed in ones have cold filtered water & ice "on tap". No tank to fill & look after. Just make sure the ice maker doesn't take up too much room in the freezer, there's a huge variation.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 19th Mar 17, 8:50 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:50 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:50 PM
    With the non-plumbed in ones, either there won't be a water dispenser or there will be a tank in the door that you obviously need to fill (and clean). We've had a couple like that and the tank does take up a bit of space so if you need all the space you can get, plumbed in might be better. I'd suggest going to have a look at a few, or at least looking at the inside photos online, to see whether that would be acceptable to you. With non-plumbed in, I don't think you can have a proper ice dispenser, although I have seen one with some kind of trays that you twist while they're still in the freezer to empty the ice cubes into a drawer below - not really a dispenser but probably easier than banging trays around.

Other than that, I think the main differences are that you need plumbing for a plumbed in one (!) and price. Plumbed in ones seem more expensive in general but there is considerable overlap - the most expensive non-plumbed in ones are more expensive than the cheapest plumbed in.

If you're having the kitchen redone so plumbing isn't an issue and you're not on a tight budget, I'd go for a plumbed in one with an ice dispenser. To some they may be a gadget that you use for a month then forget, but I hate luke warm drinks so I'd love one!
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 19th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    To clarify my question, I'm looking for user experiences of each type. I fully understand the obvious difference, ie that plumbed-in ones are plumbed in and the others are not!

Does anyone have a non-plumbed-in one and regret it? Or vice versa? Or is the one you have the best thing since sliced bread? Or is it just a gimmick?

I don't think the ice would be used very often if that makes a difference.
    • folkestonelisa
    • By folkestonelisa 19th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    folkestonelisa
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    I had a plumbed in one, just recently moved house and didn't have room for it. Planning on refitting the kitchen in a year or so. My kitchen will be done around the freezer as I miss it so much ��. Love the ice cubes on tap.
    • gingernut352000
    • By gingernut352000 19th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    gingernut352000
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    Plumbed in all the way
    • ccskitten
    • By ccskitten 20th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    ccskitten
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    I have a non-plumbed in one. I must admit, I hardly ever fill the tank now. It was just a bit of a gimmick. Looking back I wish I went for the plumbed in and paid for the plumbing. I may use it a bit more often if I did. There again, I bought it at the beginning of the winter so come the summer I imagine it will be in full use again.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 20th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    I never regretted having a non-plumbed in one (in fact we had one after the other), but that was only because plumbed in wasn't an option.

If you can plumb it in and can afford a plumbed in that you like, I think they are the better option. Both do more or less the same job (excluding ice), but plumbed in makes things easier for you and gives you more space in the fridge.
    • springdreams
    • By springdreams 20th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 31,289 Thanks
    springdreams
    We have a plumbed in one. It is a Samsung. The ice and chilled water on tap is wonderful and gets used frequently. I've had mine for over 10 years now.
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 20th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I wouldn't buy a non plumbed in one - it's just a regular fridge freezer.
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 20th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    tired dad
    last 2 posts tell the full story
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 20th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    Annie1960
    We have a plumbed in one. It is a Samsung. The ice and chilled water on tap is wonderful and gets used frequently. I've had mine for over 10 years now.
    Originally posted by springdreams
    I've read varied reports about Samsung but from what you say you sound happy with yours.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 20th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    nickcc
    I've read varied reports about Samsung but from what you say you sound happy with yours.
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    Also have a plumbed in Samsung for app 10 years, mod required after first year but no problem since. I use the ice and chilled water every day so not just a fad in my case. Very simple to plumb in as just a "T" required off your existing cold supply then the small bore plastic pipe and in line filter installed.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 20th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    EssexExile
    And I've had an LG for 10 years with no problems, but if you wait long enough you'll get good & bad reports for all makes. Fridge/freezers are pretty reliable, you'd be really unlucky to get a bad one.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 20th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    ali-t
    Have got a new samsung and love the space in it. It isnt plumbed in but has a water dispenser that we never use.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • Alex.T
    • By Alex.T 20th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Alex.T
    We've got a non-plumbed LG. Massive water tank in the door, which gets filled every few days (in the summer). Ice cubes and crushed ice is fantastic too. What put me off having a plumbed one, was that they have filters which need replacing every so often, and more often than not, that involves moving the fridge out, and possibly a plumber to change the filter. Even more so if you live in area with hard water (like us)
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 20th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    Kim kim
    We've got a non-plumbed LG. Massive water tank in the door, which gets filled every few days (in the summer). Ice cubes and crushed ice is fantastic too. What put me off having a plumbed one, was that they have filters which need replacing every so often, and more often than not, that involves moving the fridge out, and possibly a plumber to change the filter. Even more so if you live in area with hard water (like us)
    Originally posted by Alex.T
    My Samsung has the filter inside, it's like changing a light bulb.
    Twist off, push & twist in.
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 21st Mar 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    ali-t
    The non plumbed ones have filters too.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 21st Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 3,534 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    We had a plumbed in Samsung, loved it, remodeled and couldn't fit it back in.

Moving house, the kitchen WILL have space for a plumbed in.

Really is worth the effort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

2,055Users online

Martin's Twitter