Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsLWW
    • By MrsLWW 19th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 226Thanks
    MrsLWW
    Make-up, beauty care and fragrance
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    Make-up, beauty care and fragrance 19th Mar 17 at 7:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

DH and I have been cutting spending left right and centre, but I still love a little spend on make-up, nails etc.

I have, for the last few years, been a digging through the pound shop branded make up for eye shadows, mascaras, blushers and bronzers.

I've been in love with Watt brothers for cheap make up also.

But, I can't help but spend on foundation. I have tried many different brands can't quite find a cheap one that sits well.

The cheapest eye liner I've found that I like is Rimmel exaggerate at £3.99 (I can't live without eyeliner and I use it on my waterline).

I rarely wear lipstick, preferring lipbalm and focusing on my eyes for make up.

Fragrances, is also a downfall for me - I only ever buy fashion house brands such as YSL, Nina Ricci, Lancome etc. I have turned my nose up at celebrity brands - I don't know why, maybe I've just never smelled a nice one.

My can't live without product is Derma V10 hand cream (unscented) from the pound shop, as a paramedic, I am constantly washing my hands and it is AMAZING. I have a dermatological condition and it has whooped a$$ on all the products I have tried.

So my questions to you lovely money saving beauties are:

What are your favourite cheap products, and where do you get them from? And can you recommend any cheaper products to the ones above that I spend on?

TIA
    Debt peak approx £30,000
    CURRENT DEBT: Jan2017: £21,249 - Feb2017: £20,953 - March17: £19,223 - April 17: £18,463.89 - May 17: £16,374.26
    My parents always said "If you can't afford it cash, you can't afford it!" so true!.... mind you, turns out we can't afford much lol
Page 1
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 14,749 Posts
    • 58,742 Thanks
    Judi
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    Sudocrem on my T zone and dare i say it.... baking powder mixed in with some facial wash makes a brilliant facial exfoliator.

Purple food colouring mixed in hair conditioner will tone the brassiness out of blonde hair.

Baking powder is good for cleaning teeth. I use it on its own a couple of times a week. My teeth feel super clean afterwards.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Finefoot
    • By Finefoot 24th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Finefoot
    • 24th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 24th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    Have a look at perfume parlour for your scents, it make sense! (sorry)
    £1650 so far this year reclaimed from Lloyds bank.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 26th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    • 12,122 Posts
    • 11,475 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 26th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    • 26th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    Sounds like an overspent BUT, if you can find a cheap but decent toner (avoid things with alcohol and acids) and wipe over your skin after cleansing, you will find your skin is less dry. Additionally, if you apply your moisturiser when your skin is still slightly damp, you wont need as much. It sounds like a small thing but has meant I've gotten about 50% more from my pots of moisturiser.

I've still yet to find a face masque where my skin looked better. I liked the Philosophy 2-step microdermabrasion, but for £50+ it's a no.

Nail varnish- keep it in the fridge, it lasts longer. Apply a top coat and apply a new top coat every night or every other night, the nail varnish stays on longer.
    To remove, all nail polishes regardless of price work the same. If you worry about extra benefits, use a hand cream and up the vitamin content in your diet. Your body absorbs around 80% of your nutrients from diet and only around 20% from your skincare. What you eat or consume makes more of a difference than what you apply to your skin.

In a similar vein; drink enough water- skin looks better and doesn't require as much "help". I've noticed plain water has better effects than tea/coffee, so if you can stick to the non-adulterated stuff, add a few drops of a squeezed lemon or mint leaves to give a bit of a taste if you can't hack the plain stuff but want to try this.

Mascara; yes there are differences with the more expensive brands I've tried being way better in some cases (Dior, Lancôme and Clinique are some I'd recommend) but you know what- some of the high-street brands work really well too and I only use a luxury brand if someone buys if for me. Max Factor and Boots No.17 are my go-to brand, I don't get on with L'Or!al (it always clogs and clumps after a weeks use) and Maybelline is a bit unpredictable, if you can get them on offer they're normally on 3-4-2 somewhere.

Foundations- it's really hard to advise because I find so much rides on finding the correct colour and so many brands I hear good things about yet wont match my skin tone (too yellow or too pink/rouge for me), I've heard people speak highly about L'Or!al but they never strike me as cheap. Cheaper brands? I'd look for a BB cream tbh. That way you combine moisturiser and SPF and a shot of colour in one go. If you need more coverage in certain areas, look for a concealer. Garnier have a decent BB cream and I've seen them in a few pound shops.

Eye colour? Bourjois are the most pigmented high street brand I've found, if you worry about eye creases forming over the day, use a primer or take the pots with you to re-appy during the day- the little round ones I have (not bought any in a while as they last ages!) have mirrors and a sponge applicator in them to reapply on the go. I can also recommend their foundation for paler types! (Can't use their mascara though as they shed and collect black soot in the frames of my lenses which I can't reach to clean out- a nightmare if you have rimless lenses!)

Hope that is of some help. I think in some areas, you can risk spending more if you get better value for money- things last longer or you feel better because colours match...etc so there is some justification for treating yourself to one or two more expensive products once in a while- especially if it's more economical- look at the items you use the most and see if you can get samples to try at home to see if they last longer or make you feel more confident when wearing due to feeling the colours match better. At the moment quite a few brands are offering samples which last a few days. I've collected samples for foundation from Clinique, Lancome and YSL this week alone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,347Posts Today

7,878Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A year of fighting to break the link between mental illness and money problems... https://t.co/LXgjxdv36O

• Today's twitter poll: Is Conservative pact with DUP necessary for stable govt during the crucial Brexit time, or should it've stayed alone?

• RT @thisismoney: First cash machine was used 50 years ago today: 50 facts you never knew about ATMs https://t.co/nh5kqb5Ml5

• Follow Martin