Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • firsttimebuyer22
    • By firsttimebuyer22 19th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    firsttimebuyer22
    Time frames for "repair" keep getting extended...
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    Time frames for "repair" keep getting extended... 19th Mar 17 at 7:27 PM
    I bought a camera from Argos back last summer to take away for a trip. It had a few minor issues but thought nothing of it. After using it again over Christmas all was fine but, come end of January/beginning of feb, it pretty much packed up all together, crashing, not focusing, not saving any files etc.

So, I took it back to store. They explained because it was outside of the 30 days I could only have it repaired. (I could never have returned it in 30 days as I was out of the country for 2 months and made me feel better after ignoring the minor faults to begin with!)

They told me it would take 7-10 days.

That time passed and they told me it could actually take up to 28 days. This was the middle of February.

I have once again contacted customer services and they told me to wait yet another week as their repair centre couldn't fix it and it has to be sent off direct to Sony.

I'm not sure really on what to do if it doesn't come back after yet another week.

I don't want a refund. I just want the camera back fixed, or the same one that works! And I'm just wondering am I in my rights to ask for a replacement if it takes even longer etc? Thanks
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 19th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 18,164 Posts
    • 14,957 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    I bought a camera from Argos back last summer to take away for a trip. It had a few minor issues but thought nothing of it. After using it again over Christmas all was fine but, come end of January/beginning of feb, it pretty much packed up all together, crashing, not focusing, not saving any files etc.

So, I took it back to store. They explained because it was outside of the 30 days I could only have it repaired. (I could never have returned it in 30 days as I was out of the country for 2 months and made me feel better after ignoring the minor faults to begin with!)

They told me it would take 7-10 days.

That time passed and they told me it could actually take up to 28 days. This was the middle of February.

I have once again contacted customer services and they told me to wait yet another week as their repair centre couldn't fix it and it has to be sent off direct to Sony.

I'm not sure really on what to do if it doesn't come back after yet another week.

I don't want a refund. I just want the camera back fixed, or the same one that works! And I'm just wondering am I in my rights to ask for a replacement if it takes even longer etc? Thanks
    Originally posted by firsttimebuyer22
    Remind Argos that Section 23 of The Consumer Rights Act says (amongst other things):
    (2) If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must—

(a) do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer...
    It goes on to say:
    (6) A consumer who requires or agrees to the repair of goods cannot require the trader to replace them, or exercise the short-term right to reject, without giving the trader a reasonable time to repair them (unless giving the trader that time would cause significant inconvenience to the consumer).
    You will by now be asking 'what is a reasonable time?' and 'what is a significant inconvenience?'.

This is 'answered' in the same place:
    (5) Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined taking account of—

(a) the nature of the goods, and

(b) the purpose for which the goods were acquired.
    Unfortunately. the explanatory notes to the CRA to not expand on those explanations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin