Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobbo71
    • By bobbo71 19th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    bobbo71
    Scammed on Gumtree - Chance of recovery poor
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    Scammed on Gumtree - Chance of recovery poor 19th Mar 17 at 7:22 PM
    On 3rd March 2017 I responded to an ad buy a guy selling 4 x Amazon Fire TV boxes on Gumtree. We texted back and forth, I checked that they were boxes, not Firesticks and after satisfying myself regarding the item decided to buy one. I offered a PayPal payment, (I'm a longstanding eBay seller/buyer and PayPal user) but the guy declined saying it was too much of a pain waiting for PayPal approval so instead we settled for a BACS transfer of £40. He was agreeable, promising to send the item next day along with a texted proof of postage.

By Thursday 9th March nothing had arrived, he ignored my texts and attempts at phoning him. I contacted Gumtree, ('If you've been scammed contact us immediately' on their website help section), and had a live chat, they took details of the problem and then suggested that I wait another 7 days and come back to them if there was no joy.

On Thursday 16th March, no joy, I sent more texts and using a different phone spoke to him, as soon as I said 'I'm the guy who bought the Fire TV' he ended the call. I then had another live chat with Gumtree, by this time I had the Advert ID number, his bank account number (Halifax) and his phone number (Virgin Media). This was all shared with Gumtree but they can't/won't do anything as they are a classified advertising service. So my live chats with Gumtree seem to have benefited them by me providing details of a rogue seller, but no benefit to me.

I've contacted my bank and they will approach his bank and request a return of the £40, maybe this will happen maybe not. I am also considering contacting Action Fraud to report the matter as an internet fraud.

I know that I should not have used BACS but I did, lesson learned. I'm sharing this experience just to warn others but I would welcome any other ideas about how to recover the £40. I have some limited info as you can see and I do hope his bank will look at his account to see if there are other income streams that may be suspect.
    So apart from the obvious advice any sensible suggestions are welcome.
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 19th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 14,766 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    I'm surprised your bank are prepared to contact his bank.
    I take it you've tried googling his phone number
    Last edited by hollydays; 19-03-2017 at 8:24 PM.
    • Worrierwalker
    • By Worrierwalker 19th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Worrierwalker
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    What did he mean by paypal approval?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    Where did he say he had got the boxes from? Remember these scammers have to be very plausible otherwise people would never respond to their adverts.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 28,714 Posts
    • 18,136 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    Could have just gone to Amazon as they have the firesticks for £40.

What attracted to you looking at buying a firestick from Gumtree ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 19-03-2017 at 8:49 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • waamo
    • By waamo 19th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    waamo
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    As you suspect your money is almost guaranteed to be gone. In saying that I think reporting it to Action Fraud is absolutely the right thing to do.

Spread the word as widely as you can about avoiding BACS transfers unless it is to an absolutely trusted recipient such as a solicitor.
    This space for hire.
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 19th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    Could have just gone to Amazon as they have the firesticks for £40.

What attracted to you looking at buying a firestick from Gumtree ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79

It's not a Firestick it's a Fire TV box and they are around £80 on Amazon.
    Je suis Parisien
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 28,714 Posts
    • 18,136 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    It's not a Firestick it's a Fire TV box and they are around £80 on Amazon.
    Originally posted by LABMAN
    So they are, must be faulty glasses im wearing, must get these sorted.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 19th Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 4,233 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    Plus it was 4 units unless my glasses are defective too.

TBH I can't drum up much sympathy for somebody effectively paying £40 cash sight unseen for goods worth over £300.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 19th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Plus it was 4 units unless my glasses are defective too.

TBH I can't drum up much sympathy for somebody effectively paying £40 cash sight unseen for goods worth over £300.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Yes, your glasses are defective.
    The scammer listed 4 boxes at £40 each and the OP paid for one of these so they were paying £40 for £80 worth of goods.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 20th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Down in the EBay section of the board(it does cover other selling places such as Gumtree), it repeated and repeated and repeated. Gumtree you go in person and buy face to face and pay money on inspecting the goods.

Never send money
    • jonmoneybags
    • By jonmoneybags 20th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    jonmoneybags
    On 3rd March 2017 I responded to an ad buy a guy selling 4 x Amazon Fire TV boxes on Gumtree. We texted back and forth, I checked that they were boxes, not Firesticks and after satisfying myself regarding the item decided to buy one. I offered a PayPal payment, (I'm a longstanding eBay seller/buyer and PayPal user) but the guy declined saying it was too much of a pain waiting for PayPal approval so instead we settled for a BACS transfer of £40. He was agreeable, promising to send the item next day along with a texted proof of postage.

By Thursday 9th March nothing had arrived, he ignored my texts and attempts at phoning him. I contacted Gumtree, ('If you've been scammed contact us immediately' on their website help section), and had a live chat, they took details of the problem and then suggested that I wait another 7 days and come back to them if there was no joy.

On Thursday 16th March, no joy, I sent more texts and using a different phone spoke to him, as soon as I said 'I'm the guy who bought the Fire TV' he ended the call. I then had another live chat with Gumtree, by this time I had the Advert ID number, his bank account number (Halifax) and his phone number (Virgin Media). This was all shared with Gumtree but they can't/won't do anything as they are a classified advertising service. So my live chats with Gumtree seem to have benefited them by me providing details of a rogue seller, but no benefit to me.

I've contacted my bank and they will approach his bank and request a return of the £40, maybe this will happen maybe not. I am also considering contacting Action Fraud to report the matter as an internet fraud.

I know that I should not have used BACS but I did, lesson learned. I'm sharing this experience just to warn others but I would welcome any other ideas about how to recover the £40. I have some limited info as you can see and I do hope his bank will look at his account to see if there are other income streams that may be suspect.
    So apart from the obvious advice any sensible suggestions are welcome.
    Originally posted by bobbo71
    I bet he was, scammers christmas someone being daft enough to do that.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 20th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Sicard
    Down in the EBay section of the board(it does cover other selling places such as Gumtree), it repeated and repeated and repeated. Gumtree you go in person and buy face to face and pay money on inspecting the goods.

Never send money
    Originally posted by donnac2558

People have done this and been mugged.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Mar 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    takman
    Originally posted by Sicard

So your saying you should never buy anything in person from someone because you might get mugged, how ridiculous!.

You could be mugged everytime you leave the house so are you saying nobody should ever leave their home just in case?
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 20th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Thousands buy from Gumtree face to face(they tell you to do this), how many have been mugged then? Well I suppose meeting up a dark alley might happen.
    • jonmoneybags
    • By jonmoneybags 20th Mar 17, 1:29 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    jonmoneybags
    I will keep my tinfoil hat just in case; you can borrow it for now if you want.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 20th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 10,223 Posts
    • 12,887 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Depends on how far you are willing to pursue it:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14906281.Dartford_fraudster_sentenced_for_trying_t o_flog_fake_Slipknot_tickets/
    The man without a signature.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 20th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Without a doubt, people have been mugged walking to their local high street to do a bit of shopping, walking to/from a pub after having a night out and on their way to a restaurant, and what about people who have been mugged after taking money out of a cash machine?

Does this mean that nobody should every carry cash in their pockets just in case this ever happens to them?
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 20th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 3,305 Thanks
    Sleazy

Never send money
    Originally posted by donnac2558
    Best to go in a gang
    Signed Sleazy
    Otherwise known as the Lounge Lizard
    • bobbo71
    • By bobbo71 20th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    bobbo71
    Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to read my post. No further news. I agree no more BACS for me. No news yet from my bank so it looks like a report to Action Fraud next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,564Posts Today

6,476Users online

Martin's Twitter