Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jim2
    • By jim2 19th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jim2
    Solar pv supplier goes bust!
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    Solar pv supplier goes bust! 19th Mar 17 at 7:08 PM
    Hi everyone,

I bought my solar panels in may 2015 from a company called Hot House Energy. The business went into administration last year. I have a monitoring gizmo that basically isn't getting monitored by anyone as Hot House were doing that. I recently received a call by a company (their name escapes me atm)who offered to monitor my system for a 100 initial fee and 20 annually. They said they were given my details from Enphase (the company who supplied my micro inverters). I've tried to contact Enphase direct but they're not very helpful!
    The price isn't the issue, it's the principle that because a company goes bust I have to pick up the tab.Does anyone have an address of an ombudsman type of body related to solar pv installations?
    Thanks,
    Jim.
Page 1
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 19th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 11,783 Posts
    • 10,138 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    Why not monitor them yourself? I don't pay anyone to look at my readings
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • JimLad
    • By JimLad 20th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    JimLad
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    I dont understand...what needs monitoring? We just submit a meter reading every quarter
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17. Now expecting a Baby girl in August!
    MissWillow is my OH!
    • Rheumatoid
    • By Rheumatoid 20th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    Rheumatoid
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    Lots of Jims in this thread!
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter, Geo Solo II Monitor. Installed 29/9/2015 - 4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme)
    Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh; Year 1 Actual = 4152kWh
    • Rheumatoid
    • By Rheumatoid 20th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    Rheumatoid
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    I dont understand...what needs monitoring? We just submit a meter reading every quarter
    Originally posted by JimLad
    You can also monitor instantaneous generation and generation over time if you get it monitored.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter, Geo Solo II Monitor. Installed 29/9/2015 - 4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme)
    Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh; Year 1 Actual = 4152kWh
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 20th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    There's a considerable gain in earnings to be made if you are always aware of how much you are both using & generating and can take steps to ensure that you are always using as much as possible of the generation and buying as little as possible from the grid.. Things like cooking lunch on a sunny day rather than waiting till it's dark then cooking dinner will increase profitability of a PV system for you and reduce demand on the grid at peak times.

Very unlikely that any third party would be able to accomplish that sort of thing. You need monitoring equipment on site (and the ability to read it). That needn't cost very much to install and nothing at all to use it.
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 22nd Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 11,805 Thanks
    Misslayed
    • 22nd Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 22nd Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    I have enphase panels and I have access to a web app so I can see exactly what I'm generating, updated every 15 minutes - do you not have this?
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

396Posts Today

4,210Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin