Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snowmen
    • By snowmen 19th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 490Posts
    • 106Thanks
    snowmen
    Giants causeway
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    Giants causeway 19th Mar 17 at 5:38 PM
    Going to the giants causeway next weekend.
    There will be 5 of us and just seen the charge of 8.50 pet person if you park at the causeway.
    Just wondered - if we became members of the national trust would we then be able to park for free? Would the visitor centre also be free then too?
Page 1
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 19th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Sambella
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    the visitor centre is free for National trust members. Parking used to be free too but I'm not sure about now. I had a look online but it's not clear about free parking for National Trust Members.

You can actually bypass the visitor centre and go down to the causeway and back for free by taking a route to the side of the visitor centre.

Their site mentions cheaper alternative parking -

http://giantscausewaytickets.com/admission-prices
    • D.A.
    • By D.A. 19th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    D.A.
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    Correct - NT members get free parking and free access to the Visitors' Centre.

As Sambella has said though, there are cheaper places to park and the Centre can be avoided completely.
    • CEON44
    • By CEON44 19th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    CEON44
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    For visitors who do not wish to avail of the facilities on-site, alternative parking is available during peak season at the Railway car park adjacent to the Causeway (£6 per day), from which visitors can walk to the stones for free.

I didnt know this myself. I thought all had to pay now to go to the causeway. Will have to visit again now
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 20th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 848 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    There's a lovely short walk (3 miles) from Portbalintrae along the coast front that leads to the causeway, parking at the start at beach road is free
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 20th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    Access to the actual Causeway is and always has been free, The National Trust like to give the impression you have to pay but in reality this is to enter the visitor centre and park in their car park only.
    Park in Bushmills and take the shuttlebus or walk as previously suggested.
    • D.A.
    • By D.A. 20th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    D.A.
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    Or take the train from Bushmills when it's running.
    • snowmen
    • By snowmen 20th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    snowmen
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Might park at the Causeway Hotel, get a cuppa and then walk down from there - failing that the station car park option for £6.
    Remember the good old days when you just parked for free and walked down ...
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 23,703 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    We just took friends up to visit, warning them to go to the toilet first. Visiting the stones is free, walk into the visitor centre and you are charged

You can buy cheap NT passes by buying from other countries. Perfectly legal, I used to buy from New Zealand
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 22nd Mar 17, 6:19 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    There's a lovely short walk (3 miles) from Portbalintrae along the coast front that leads to the causeway, parking at the start at beach road is free
    Originally posted by Zola.
    Second this - 30-40 minutes walk - also toilets in car park.
    • snowmen
    • By snowmen 23rd Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    snowmen
    Second this - 30-40 minutes walk - also toilets in car park.
    Originally posted by WaywardDriver
    Would love to try this - and would do if a had a car full of adults.
    Unfortunately I will have a 4 and 7 year-old too so the walk might be too far for them.
    Will try when I don't have the kids with me!
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 23rd Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    Going to the giants causeway next weekend.
    There will be 5 of us and just seen the charge of 8.50 pet person if you park at the causeway.
    Just wondered - if we became members of the national trust would we then be able to park for free? Would the visitor centre also be free then too?
    Originally posted by snowmen

just drop the other 4 guests off just before the car park.
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 12/49 (30/09/16), 13/49 (06/10/2016). 14/49 (14/10/16), 17.5/49 (28/10/16) 18.5/49 (4/11/16) 20/49 (26/11/16), 22/49 (3/12/16)
    • snowmen
    • By snowmen 25th Mar 17, 9:38 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    snowmen
    Just an update that may help others ...

Went today and parked in the Causeway Hotel (next to the visitor's centre). Didn't realise that this hotel was owned by the National Trust also and was approached by a national trust member of staff on the entrance to the hotel car park.
    Was asked on what I was planning to do and he started going into the spiel of going to the visitors centre and paying the entrance fee.
    Cut him short and said that I was just going to the hotel for a cup of tea. He said to keep a copy of the receipt (which he asked for on the way out).
    We got our tea/coffee and buns in the hotel and then walked over the grass roof of the visitors centre and down the steps to join the path to the causeway.
    On speaking to some of the workers in the hotel they said they sometimes they even have trouble coming in to the car park themselves and they work there, complaining of the pushy nature of the national trust colleagues in the car park.
    Note if you have children - the hotel were more than happy for you to use the toilet in the hotel before and after going down to the giants causeway which was great for us!
    • RikM
    • By RikM 26th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    RikM
    Would love to try this - and would do if a had a car full of adults.
    Unfortunately I will have a 4 and 7 year-old too so the walk might be too far for them.
    Will try when I don't have the kids with me!
    Originally posted by snowmen
    I've done it with a 6yo. 4 might be a little young.
    On longer walks the pace can be a bit slower with smaller kids, but the length is not a particular issue - we've done 5 or 6 miles before - you just need to factor in breaks.

Last time I was at the Causeway, there was an outside accessible toilet at the visitor's centre (with a queue).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,510Users online

Martin's Twitter